The Student Room Group

Watch the Eurovision Song Contest without tv license

Hi :smile:

Is there any way to watch the Song Contest (legally+ for free?) without a TV license?
I obviously don't have a TV either, only my laptop.
Tbh, since I'm a foreigner, I don't really understand the whole concept of the TV license.
I don't know if I am allowed to stream it online. Does anyone know more about this?
Of course I don't want to break the law, I'm a guest in this country :smile:
Original post by TessfromAustria

Is there any way to watch the Song Contest (legally+ for free?) without a TV license?
Tbh, since I'm a foreigner, I don't really understand the whole concept of the TV license.
I don't know if I am allowed to stream it online. Does anyone know more about this?

The TV license is the way of funding the BBC, we give them money and they can produce all the programmes they do, and some of the money goes to making Eurovision too. Off the top of my head I don't know a way of streaming it legally and for free.
Reply 2

A quick search and I found their official YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/eurovision

Apparently they live streamed the semi-finals the other day? I don't know, I don't watch it, but it's most likely going to be streamed on there too I guess..

EDIT: CONFIRMED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-a9eXKeO4k Go to this link, they're streaming the finals there.
Even if they didn't upload it themselves to youtube, someone else would, and streaming videos online - even if copyrighted - is not illegal. See the Court of Justice of the European Union's ruling on the 2014 British Meltwater case.
Reply 4
It's streamed live on www.eurovision.tv
Reply 5

Not live, no.
Reply 6
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Even if they didn't upload it themselves to youtube, someone else would, and streaming videos online - even if copyrighted - is not illegal. See the Court of Justice of the European Union's ruling on the 2014 British Meltwater case.

You're talking about recordings, not live television streams.
Why do you want to watch it anyway? Dated is the politest thing I can say.
Original post by Reue
You're talking about recordings, not live television streams.

I'm talking about streaming the videos online. As in watching a video without having downloaded it in its entirety first.

Someone could probably stream it live - different use of the word, and they'd get in trouble - but EU viewers would be fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm talking about streaming the videos online.

Someone could probably stream it live - and they'd get in trouble - but EU viewers would be fine.

People in the UK are 'EU viewers' yet would get in trouble.

Or are you talking about people outside of the UK?
Original post by Reue
People in the UK are 'EU viewers' yet would get in trouble.

Or are you talking about people outside of the UK?

They'd maybe get in trouble if they watched it directly from the BBC, but there are plenty of other broadcasters who will be broadcasting Eurovision.
Reply 11
They'd maybe get in trouble if they watched it directly from the BBC, but there are plenty of other broadcasters who will be broadcasting Eurovision.

Where you stream something from does not change the legality.
Original post by Reue
Where you stream something from does not change the legality.

So streaming a film from Netflix is as legal as streaming from youtube?

Good to know.
Reply 13
So streaming a film from Netflix is as legal as streaming from youtube?

Good to know.

As I said; You're talking about recordings whereas I (and this thread) are talking about live streams.
Original post by Reue
As I said; You're talking about recordings whereas I (and this thread) are talking about live streams.

Streaming: The transmission of digital audio or video, or the reception or playback of such data without first storing it.

OP never mentioned live streaming.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Streaming: The transmission of digital audio or video, or the reception or playback of such data without first storing it.

OP never mentioned live streaming.

I suspect OP was meaning a live stream, a couple of other reponders have also made that assumption.

But we are going in circles here. For clarity to the OP:

If you want to watch it live, through any source, you need a TV licence.

If you want to watch it after it's already been shown on a source other than BBC iPlayer you do not need a licence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending