The Student Room Group

Is the xbox one (s) a waste of money?

I say this as im going to get a second hand xbox one or s version to play Halo 5 and MCC on. Yeah i know they suck but im still a fan of Halo from having Reach as my first game and even though im probbaly like my dad and have no idea how to use a controller now, i still want to own every Halo game and the MCC helps out alot with the organisation of that.

I just wonder spending £140-200 on a console just for a couple of games is worth it. Ill probbaly use it about 25-35% of the time when i choose to game but ive also invested alot of money into Steam so i wont be re-buying games ive already got on that platform.

Thanks for the advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Though I am pc all the way, I can definitely see the merit in buying a console, esp since having a decent gaming setup is pretty pricey.
That's a question only you can answer.

Generally what has happened with me is I've wanted a console for even just one game, and ended up playing a lot more games other than that one.

Though, especially these days, already having a PC makes having an Xbox less necessary.

Original post by GUMI
Though I am pc all the way, I can definitely see the merit in buying a console, esp since having a decent gaming setup is pretty pricey.

About £400. More expensive than an Xbox One S today, though not as much as the thousands people usually cite.
Reply 3
Original post by ozzyoscy

Generally what has happened with me is I've wanted a console for even just one game, and ended up playing a lot more games other than that one.

Though, especially these days, already having a PC makes having an Xbox less necessary.

About £400. More expensive than an Xbox One S today, though not as much as the thousands people usually cite.

but £60 games for console :frown:
Original post by ozzyoscy

I can agree with that. I already have an ok gaming PC and setup and i just thought it would be nice to relive some of the glory days when i played on my xbox 360 for the first time having anything like that since it was my first console. Thanks for the help.
Original post by GUMI
but £60 games for console :frown:

Funny thing was I was going to say the downside to PC is that the games probably work out costing more.

You can sell console games once you played them, might even make a profit. Can't sell PC games any more.

And it's hard to get a grip on what price console games are because they can start high (£40 or £50) then drop fast to half that, even less, due to how overpriced they are.

PC has sales but you're still paying more than if you could sell them after. Plus some people get sucked in by sales and end up with a thousand games, while telling themselves they "saved" money when they actually spent thousands over time.

I guess in the end, whichever you buy, you end up spending some disposable income. Spending a few hundred pound isn't going to be the difference between being rich or poor.
A) Games are cheap months after release, pay £20-30 tops.
B) Xbox is irrelevant, all multi's which are on PC and no exclusives in a long time. It's a dead console outside of the states, not worth buying anything MS.
The most attractive thing about the Xbox One is its backwards compatibility feature. There is still a distinct lack of compelling exclusives when compared to the PS4. Perhaps Microsoft will bring the goods at E3.
Original post by GUMI

I got my setup used mostly XDDD but yeah ill try and get a used xbox even if its only for nostalga.
Thanks for the help everyone! Ill be getting it on my birthday then! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Centurion_Sam
I say this as im going to get a second hand xbox one or s version to play Halo 5 and MCC on. Yeah i know they suck but im still a fan of Halo from having Reach as my first game and even though im probbaly like my dad and have no idea how to use a controller now, i still want to own every Halo game and the MCC helps out alot with the organisation of that.

I just wonder spending £140-200 on a console just for a couple of games is worth it. Ill probbaly use it about 25-35% of the time when i choose to game but ive also invested alot of money into Steam so i wont be re-buying games ive already got on that platform.

Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering about this as well,

I have a ps4 ....but think I would like to play one xbox game which should work on xbox one s ...and that game is not available for playstation

but i cannot find any other exclusives really drawing me to xbox one s, i'm not a halo fan or anything........

i'm just not seeing enough of a reason to buy xbox.....
Bought a PS4 a few months ago had a lads weekend coming up at mine with no console, had 12 games with it, bored of it after a week and sold it on for the same price a two months later.
The Xbox one and Halo are great if you're going to use it. Just make sure you get your fun out of it.
Get a PS4, all the good exclusives are on it

You can play all of Xbox's games on PC
Xbox One is a joke there are like 5 exclusive games which all suck, no one buys an xbox for the exclusives as they are trash. Halo died after Halo Reach, Gears died after Gears 2 so what are you left with?
After owning an xbox one for a few years I find I still get way more use out of my old 360 than I do from the One. Game most on PC nowadays tho, if I was still hardcore console I'd probably end up playing more Xbox One releases. I do want to buy a PS4 at some point purely for exclusives but I don't have the disposable income rn to pay ~500 quid to play 5 games.
Original post by 69Tekashi69
Xbox One is a joke there are like 5 exclusive games which all suck, no one buys an xbox for the exclusives as they are trash. Halo died after Halo Reach, Gears died after Gears 2 so what are you left with?

OP's already specified he wants to play the new Halos so there's that. Titanfall was initially an xbone exclusive which is why I got one near launch. Way larger proportion of good xbox exclusives were on 360 tho. Both consoles don't have very many exclusives, and no particularly groundbreaking games in that regard. Not a lot of reasons to buy one over the other really, all the stuff you'll potentially play hundreds of hours of is cross platform usually.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
After owning an xbox one for a few years I find I still get way more use out of my old 360 than I do from the One. Game most on PC nowadays tho, if I was still hardcore console I'd probably end up playing more Xbox One releases. I do want to buy a PS4 at some point purely for exclusives but I don't have the disposable income rn to pay ~500 quid to play 5 games.

OP's already specified he wants to play the new Halos so there's that. Titanfall was initially an xbone exclusive which is why I got one near launch. Way larger proportion of good xbox exclusives were on 360 tho. Both consoles don't have very many exclusives, and no particularly groundbreaking games in that regard. Not a lot of reasons to buy one over the other really, all the stuff you'll potentially play hundreds of hours of is cross platform usually.
most XB fans agree halo 4 and 5 suck.. and clearly you’ve not played the last of us.
Original post by 69Tekashi69
most XB fans agree halo 4 and 5 suck.. and clearly you’ve not played the last of us.

The last of us comes under the "5 games" I wanna play. It's a linear story tho so unless there's some immense replayability value I don't know about I wouldn't say it warrants paying for a whole console for it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The last of us comes under the "5 games" I wanna play. It's a linear story tho so unless there's some immense replayability value I don't know about I wouldn't say it warrants paying for a whole console for it.
Fair enough but others will have more than 5, not a big secret PS has a larger library of exclusives that are actually good games.
Reply 18
Nope, I played xBox One. It's a good game.
Ps4 is better

Quick Reply

Latest