The Student Room Group

GCSE RS 12 Mark Questions

Hi!

RS is my favourite subject and I really want to ace it tomorrow! I usually get full marks on the 1,2,4 and 5 mark questions but then I seem to get less marks on my 12 mark questions.

The highest I’ve ever gotten is 9/12 and I wondered if anyone knew how to aim for 12/12.

Good Luck for Tomorrow & Thank You!

Scroll to see replies

Edexcel Christianity and Islam
Original post by adamantacademic

I’m doing then same religions on AQA though, do you still have the same structure?
Original post by Year10Studentt
Hi!

RS is my favourite subject and I really want to ace it tomorrow! I usually get full marks on the 1,2,4 and 5 mark questions but then I seem to get less marks on my 12 mark questions.

The highest I’ve ever gotten is 9/12 and I wondered if anyone knew how to aim for 12/12.

Good Luck for Tomorrow & Thank You!

You have to make 2/3 points for AND against the statement and then a justified conclusion saying which is the strongest argument. You are not meant to put what you think and if read what the bullet points require like different Christian responses. Make sure u have 1 source of wisdom in ur answer. Good luck and wish me luck too 😉😊
I do AQA too. The way we've been taught is to do 5 paragraphs. First 2 paragraphs arguing for the statement given, second two should be against the statement and then the final para is the conclusion where you give your own opinion.
Original post by supercat879
You have to make 2/3 points for AND against the statement and then a justified conclusion saying which is the strongest argument. You are not meant to put what you think and if read what the bullet points require like different Christian responses. Make sure u have 1 source of wisdom in ur answer. Good luck and wish me luck too 😉😊

Thank You! Good Luck!
Original post by Fazzy_77
I do AQA too. The way we've been taught is to do 5 paragraphs. First 2 paragraphs arguing for the statement given, second two should be against the statement and then the final para is the conclusion where you give your own opinion.

Has this method ever secured full marks?

Sadly no, but I did get 11/12 once so i think it works. tbf I'm not great at rs anyways.

In the mocks i did 3 paragraphs (either 2 for and 1 against or 2 against and 1 for) and a conclusion in which i have my own opinion and i got full marks :smile:
I have my RS exam tomorrow also, good luck :smile:
I know what you mean about 12 mark questions but I would advise make sure your arguments counter one another rather than just for then against wit these points having nothing in common. Also make sure teachings are included. I think you only need one but including brief mentions of some may help for example this reflects the Bible teaching 'love thy neighbour'. Chances are you know teachings from everyday life (this is if you are doing B, i don't know much about RS A).
Again good luck you can do it :smile:
Hi I typically get 12 on the D) question could be due to my kind teacher! Nevertheless, here's the structure I try to follow.

Intro: Define terms, and explain what the subject of the statement is.

Then write a point for and a point against (I'd say three times)

Use one quote from religious book or figure

Justified solution - You can use opinions refer to previous arguments in balance - some people rush through this make sure it's a 3-4 line separate paragraph
Hi I typically get 12 on the D) question could be due to my kind teacher! Nevertheless, here's the structure I try to follow.

Justified solution - You can use opinions refer to previous arguments in balance - some people rush through this make sure it's a 3-4 line separate paragraph

Why do you need an intro?
Original post by Goldfish4343
Why do you need an intro?

I just feel it’s more sophisticated, probably not a requirement
I just feel it’s more sophisticated, probably not a requirement

But most of the times, intros are a waste of time due to nobody really knowing how to write one so you don't get any marks for it.
Reply 14

one quote in the whole answer or in each point?
Original post by Goldfish4343
But most of the times, intros are a waste of time due to nobody really knowing how to write one so you don't get any marks for it.

When I say intro it’s just explaining the belief or practice in question, that way it’s a religious belief so you’ve gained a mark 1-2 sentences into your answer.
Original post by jackh57
one quote in the whole answer or in each point?

Whole answer
Reply 17

I’m doing not edexcel as well
Reply 18
Whole answer

do you do aqa or edexcel?
Reply 19
I kept struggling to get top marks too so I came up with an acronym to help me remember good bits to put in my answers. It's SSEI (pronounced sigh, because that's what you do when you get to the 12 marker!)

S - State the basics of the argument
S - Support the argument with some religious scripture or teachings (you can explain them a bit too, that helps)
E - Evaluate your argument: this is like a mini-conclusion where you link back to the question, it helps you to maintain focus on the statement
I - Consider the impact the argument has on religious believers e.g. some Catholics think abortion is wrong... the impact would be that they would be more likely to suggest giving up an unwanted baby for adoption
I repeat this for 2 arguments for and 2 against, then do my conclusion.

Since I started using this, my answers have improved a lot and I've gotten higher marks; I'd never gotten 12/12 before but I started to get some with this structure (maybe my teacher's just being generous though!) So my advice is to try to remember all the important things you need to include and try to link it back to the question frequently to keep your answer focused.

Quick Reply

Latest