The Student Room Group

British Military Invasion/Colonialization.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bars from mars
Speak for yourself, I cry everytime I look upon the paintings of Elizabeth Butler.

Truth be told what the Nazis did was more evil than what Britain did, the creation of India as British sovereign land happened by way of treaties and contracts rather than theft. If we had to send in the Redcoats it was because they broke their treaties.

Treaties made by, uh, us.
Original post by Davij038
Treaties made by, uh, us.

they agreed to them lol
Original post by bars from mars
they agreed to them lol

The people of India voted to become a colony?
Original post by Çharizard
Historically, there are only 22 countries in the world today where Britain has never attacked, invaded or achieved a military presence.

As a British, how do you feel about Britain’s past invansion to other countries?

The world would be worse if it wasn't for the British Empire. Every country has invaded other countries etc. What's with all this anti-British stuff. I'm proud of what my ancestors did to protect our island from Nazism and the great advancements of technology that we have created from our tiny island.
mixed views on terms of how it benefitted us, but on the part of the colonised I think they should worship us instead of blame us for all their ills (which are almost entirely their own fault)

I’m glad the Romans Colonised the brits because just like the places the brits colonised, back then we were dumb savages. We brought civilisation to these places and they’ve got the cheek to moan to us about some things that didn’t even happen to them anyway.

The idea that they could have done anything of note without us is laughable.

Maybe your bigoted opinion was half-true for some of Britains more favourable colonies e.g. the 13 American colonies, Canada etc...

But to paint the entirety of colonisation with such a disgracefully unforgivably large brush, to say that India and places alike were better AFTER colonisation is honestly one of the most stupid opinions out there. It's one I would put in the same category as flat-earthers and anti-vaxxers. it simply is a testament to how ignorant you are about what colonisation involved in various parts of the world and is frankly disgusting.
Original post by bob072
The places Britain colonised generally love Britain and are our best allies who fought beside us in world war 2. It's only post-truth ideas in this country which says everyone hates us for it.

I've personally never encountered someone that thinks everyone hated it.

Everyone hated it in certain regions e.g. India - which is entirely uncontroversial IMO, but America, Austrailia and Canada, I believe, are largely indifferent.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don’t feel guilty, had nothing to do with me.
Original post by Çharizard
Historically, there are only 22 countries in the world today where Britain has never attacked, invaded or achieved a military presence.

As a British, how do you feel about Britain’s past invansion to other countries?

Proud mostly.

As a side note none of us were alive so the achievements or transgressions of the past are nothing to do with us.

No, but that would be because they weren’t a democracy.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Maybe your bigoted opinion was half-true for some of Britains more favourable colonies e.g. the 13 American colonies, Canada etc...

But to paint the entirety of colonisation with such a disgracefully unforgivably large brush, to say that India and places alike were better AFTER colonisation is honestly one of the most stupid opinions out there. It's one I would put in the same category as flat-earthers and anti-vaxxers. it simply is a testament to how ignorant you are about what colonisation involved in various parts of the world and is frankly disgusting.

So stupid of courses that you couldn’t possibly stoop to counter my argument.

I am well aware that colonialism involved a fair bit of murder, rape, slavery, cultural destruction and a bit of light genocide. And as I said before, Britain had experienced this under the Romans- and are objectively better for it.
So stupid of courses that you couldn’t possibly stoop to counter my argument.

I am well aware that colonialism involved a fair bit of murder, rape, slavery, cultural destruction and a bit of light genocide. And as I said before, Britain had experienced this under the Romans- and are objectively better for it.

The development gap between the celts and the Romans was much bigger than between the 19th century Britons and Indain 'savages' (even though they weren't, since India controlled 27% of the world's GDP at the time - which was reduced to 3% post-colonisation)....but yeh, you keep thinking that the Indians were better off. These views were the exact rationale that colonisation was undertaken with.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
The development gap between the celts and the Romans was much bigger than between the 19th century Britons and Indain 'savages' (even though they weren't, since India controlled 27% of the world's GDP at the time - which was reduced to 3% post-colonisation)....but yeh, you keep thinking that the Indians were better off. These views were the exact rationale that colonisation was undertaken with.

As a traditional conservative I would have kept out of empire building- that’s the preserve of liberals.

As to economics:

1: Blaming the UK entirely on its economic decline (which began prior to colonisation) is stupid. The real cause is the collapse of the Mughal Empire as well as technological changes that affected everywhere.

2: the real benefit of colonialism was the expansion of the rule of law and the suppression of barbaric Indian cultural practises (some of which survive today)
As a traditional conservative I would have kept out of empire building- that’s the preserve of liberals.

As to economics:

1: Blaming the UK entirely on its economic decline (which began prior to colonisation) is stupid. The real cause is the collapse of the Mughal Empire as well as technological changes that affected everywhere.

2: the real benefit of colonialism was the expansion of the rule of law and the suppression of barbaric Indian cultural practises (some of which survive today)

The economic decline prior was in no way comparable to the utter devastating of the Indian economy that the British brought. And when did I blame be British ENTIRELY - no, I simply stated that prior to colonisation, India had 24% more of the world's GDP in its pocket - which is true, but never did I say it was entirely their fault, although, they played a huge part in it.

The thing is, as a country develops, it inherently would leave it's barbaric practises behind (and establish rule of law). We can see this throughout the course of history. If India wasn't pillaged and leeched by the British, I would argue it would be a better place today, as it could harness it's wealth and become a developed nation much faster. All the British did was slow down that process and disguise their racist imperialistic nature with percieved benevolent inputs e.g. the rule of law.
Thr Britain Empire was a force for good and helped huaminty advance.

Just look at India. Indians respect us so much because we introduced civilization to them. Without us, theyd still be scrabbling around in the dirt for food and eipng their backsides with their hands.

They loved it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending