The Student Room Group

University of Warwick suspends 11 students over rape jokes

Scroll to see replies

I am sorry. There has to be a minimum amount of shared understanding before one can have a debate. You and I do not have that.

If you tried the argument before the ECHR that it was for national authorities to decide whether in that country there was a right to practise a profession and so something capable of protection by Article 6, you would be laughed out of court.
I didn't make a point about margin of appreciation. It seemed to be the tenor of your argument that whether the right to practice was a civil right was fundamentally within the province of the national authorities.

That the right to practice a profession is protected by Article 6 is an unspoken conclusion of Le Compte. In Konig, the point was expressly left open and decided on the narrower ground relating to the conduct of genuine private medical practice. That is a private right which is protected.

In Le Compte para 48 the concept of what is a private right was extended to breaking point because virtually all professional services are provided under contract or quasi contract. In the UK, an NHS hospital doctor works under a contract of employment. An NHS GP has a contract for the supply of medical services. The same could be said for an architect or a lawyer. A civil servant practising a profession in the UK does not have a contract of employment but the ECHR has long got over that technicality to extend ECHR rights to civil servants (I won't bother with the caselaw on that).

The only territory theoretically left open by Le Compte are where services are provided solely by the true volunteer or under compulsory civil or military obligation, and we can speculate that the ECHR would find a way of holding that a private right was engaged in those cases also.

http://www.asylumlawdatabase.eu/sites/asylumlawdatabase.eu/files/aldfiles/K%C3%96NIG%20v.%20GERMANY.pdf

https://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng#{%22itemid%22:[%22001-57522%22]}
(edited 5 years ago)
Your argument was, as I understand it, that universities had greater freedom in respect of FTP cases than disciplinary cases because there was no right to practice a profession.

We have established that there is no case deciding that there is a right to enter a profession but there are cases assuming the existence of such a right.

Thilakawardhana is a case that gave rise to both disciplinary and FTP procedures. Although the disciplinary sanction imposed was minor, the court did not raise any suggestion that disciplinary action was impermissible on freedom of speech grounds.

I have managed to find an NI case of which I wasn't previously aware.

https://www.judiciary-ni.gov.uk/sites/judiciary/files/decisions/CS%E2%80%99%20Application.pdf

It somewhat unclear to what extent the student was being excluded as a punishment for failing to inform the University and for accessing computers in contravention of a legal ban and to what extent the University considered he wasn't fit to be a student so long as the SOPO was in force
tfw you read the boar article and catch yourself laughing at some of it. Joking about raping specific students feels like it's crossing an extra line tho. Edgy jokes among friends is w/e to me, but specific targetting like that is jimmies thoroughly rustled. Once screenshots like that are out the uni more or less has to suspend, lest they leave some poor gal living with edgy nerds who make jokes about raping her.

Summary: General edgy memes whatever, specific targetting of people no thank you.

As an aside, why the screenshots such poor quality? Taking literal photos of your screen with a phone is basic af.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
...As an aside, why the screenshots such poor quality? Taking literal photos of your screen with a phone is basic af.

HD is OAF already, grainy is the new munch.
Original post by Phoebee1998
Freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. If you want to be an ******** then go ahead, but the University has every right to kick you.

mhm, well said ^^
All the boys on here claiming to have laughed at the jokes would probably run home crying to their mothers if they saw a bunch of men claiming to want to rape them and their friends.

Sometimes it’s a case of empathy. It’s funny when it’s another gender or race, it’s sufficiently detached. However when it’s someone more similar to you on the receiving end, the laughter stops.

Boys remember, men can rape you too.
Original post by Notoriety
Ad hominem.

You never have a valid argument :rofl:

Weak.
Looks like the University of Warwick is about to rape 11 students.

/expells self
If you put "freedom to make disgusting jokes" (paraphrasing 27 pages of defense here) ahead of a person's right not the be intimidated or mocked for having suffered a sexual assault, then you need your head looking at.
Original post by Brachioradialis
If you put "freedom to make disgusting jokes" (paraphrasing 27 pages of defense here) ahead of a person's right not the be intimidated or mocked for having suffered a sexual assault, then you need your head looking at.

[video="youtube;kM4C6et1DnA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4C6et1DnA[/video]
Original post by nulli tertius
Thilakawardhana is a case that gave rise to both disciplinary and FTP procedures. Although the disciplinary sanction imposed was minor, the court did not raise any suggestion that disciplinary action was impermissible on freedom of speech grounds.

But that concerned threatening someone on a public post, not merely being offensive in private.
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
[video="youtube;kM4C6et1DnA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4C6et1DnA[/video]

Do tell me what fundamental, philosophical points we can learn from these wonderful men to improve society.
Original post by rhombus chombus
...Ones like "love Hitler, hate Jews" and "Sometimes it's fun to just go wild and rape 100 girls" are perfectly fine (although not necessarily funny) in the right company, though. Shouldn't need to say this, but obviously it's disgusting and wrong to say those things with any sincerity.

If I though my kids at university were participating in this kind of 'banter' I'd treat it as something of a major parenting failure on my part. All young people make mistakes and come out with ignorance and rubbish that their parents would be embarrassed at but these particular communications suggest a deep moral vacuum in these students' personalities. If they were, say, a bunch of 12 year olds I might have been a little less critical, but they weren't.
But that concerned threatening someone on a public post, not merely being offensive in private.

Yes, and no doubt the perpetrator in that case was wearing different coloured socks.

The point is that disciplining someone for both a public posting and a private posing to the victim (there was both in the case I cited) was not seen as contravening the perpetrator's human rights.

The question is whether a private posting which one of the recipients then publishes to the world (which is reasonably foreseeable), is materially different in a legally relevant way.

The answer isn't a foregone conclusion either way, but saying "that was different" isn't an answer in itself.
Original post by rhombus chombus
It's pretty creepy to make rape jokes about somebody specific, in private or otherwise.

I've been saying throughout this thread that he key is the personalisation and it runs wider than rape. Someone tells a joke about Paddy and Mick that turns on their lack of intelligence, it is mildly racist but potentially still funny. The same joke told about Patrick O'Leary in room 52 and Michael O'Donnell in room 27 is just offensive. That doesn't mean you can't make jokes about real people but they have to be made with sympathy, indeed affection, for the victim. Jokes about public figures are closer to jokes about hypothetical characters, but there comes a point at which the offensiveness breaks through the carapace of protection that public figures erect.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, and no doubt the perpetrator in that case was wearing different coloured socks.

The point is that disciplining someone for both a public posting and a private posing to the victim (there was both in the case I cited) was not seen as contravening the perpetrator's human rights.

The question is whether a private posting which one of the recipients then publishes to the world (which is reasonably foreseeable), is materially different in a legally relevant way.

The answer isn't a foregone conclusion either way, but saying "that was different" isn't an answer in itself.

Ahh, my issue was not that HR would prevent the withdrawal of the student. It was that the cases you provided did not prove that HR would not come into play because the cases were HR did not come into play were materially different to the case at hand.

I hadn't noticed that the 170-word offensive message was to PS, but surely that makes it even more dissimilar to the Warwick case. The person who created the offensive post decided to send it to the person who he was threatening. Very different to sending it to friends, who consequently breach your trust. The foreseeability that the threatened person might see it is quite different.

Quite obvious that Art 10 would be engaged with this case, and the test of proportionality would be applied. It would be more proportionate to expel a student who has been threatening than to exclude a student for being merely offensive. It becomes more likely an Art 10 claim would succeed here than were it used in the medicine case. In Ngole, Art 10 was argued and expulsion was found to be proportionate because of the professional dimension. It being established that regulation of professions (the legitimate aim in that case) requires a greater degree of flexibility against the Convention text, in order for regulation to be effective, paras 78-81.
In Ngole, at para 109, the judge noted counsel argued (relying on Sanders v Kingston, Livingstone, Sandown, Vajnai and Gunduz) that the right not to be offended should not trump the right to give offence. The judge did not go into detail because, as I raised earlier, the case was not about controlling offensiveness. But the judge did note Lord Dyson MR in Core Issues Trust said that offensiveness is a common standard to determine "decency" which is used to regulate professional conduct. This does not really support your argument, because again this case is about FTP and FTP has greater ECHR flexibility per paras 78-81.

Further, s127 Comms Act 2003 has some interesting jurisprudence in this area which suggests that jokes should be protected to an extent and the context in which they were posted should influence how offensive the court perceives them. However it is important to note this concerns withdrawing liberty rather than granting liberty, so it is materially different to the case at hand also.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ahh, my issue was not that HR would prevent the withdrawal of the student. It was that the cases you provided did not prove that HR would not come into play because the cases were HR did not come into play were materially different to the case at hand.

I hadn't noticed that the 170-word offensive message was to PS, but surely that makes it even more dissimilar to the Warwick case. The person who created the offensive post decided to send it to the person who he was threatening. Very different to sending it to friends, who consequently breach your trust. The foreseeability that the threatened person might see it is quite different.

Quite obvious that Art 10 would be engaged with this case, and the test of proportionality would be applied. It would be more proportionate to expel a student who has been threatening than to exclude a student for being merely offensive. It becomes more likely an Art 10 claim would succeed here than were it used in the medicine case. In Ngole, Art 10 was argued and expulsion was found to be proportionate because of the professional dimension. It being established that regulation of professions (the legitimate aim in that case) requires a greater degree of flexibility against the Convention text, in order for regulation to be effective, paras 78-81.
In Ngole, at para 109, the judge noted counsel argued (relying on Sanders v Kingston, Livingstone, Sandown, Vajnai and Gunduz) that the right not to be offended should not trump the right to give offence. The judge did not go into detail because, as I raised earlier, the case was not about controlling offensiveness. But the judge did note Lord Dyson MR in Core Issues Trust said that offensiveness is a common standard to determine "decency" which is used to regulate professional conduct. This does not really support your argument, because again this case is about FTP and FTP has greater ECHR flexibility per paras 78-81.

Further, s127 Comms Act 2003 has some interesting jurisprudence in this area which suggests that jokes should be protected to an extent and the context in which they were posted should influence how offensive the court perceives them. However it is important to note this concerns withdrawing liberty rather than granting liberty, so it is materially different to the case at hand also.

I think the problems for the perpetrators are:-

(a) the private communication point does not work because it is reasonable forseeable that one of the fairly numerous recipients would distribute it. You are saying that is a breach of trust (I think you are using that as a synonym for confidence) but any duty of confidence has to be inferred merely from the fact the group is private. The circumstances including the absence of warnings of the existence of the duty mean that the duty might not exist at all and it if does exist, the risk of dissemination despite the duty was high. The failure of the private communication point means the perpetrators are in no better position than if they had posted the messages publicly.

(b) The personalised nature of many of the comments identifies a victim. The moves the case out of the university as moral censor inquiringly as to the tastefulness of the comments and into the university acting to protect an individual in respect of whom the university had the right and arguably the public law duty to act.

(c) I think there is a third point. The comments aren't really a joke. By referring to the comments as a joke what the perpetrators really mean is that the comments shouldn't be given their natural meaning but instead should be seen as comments to which no consequence should be paid. It is the losing argument in Carlill v Smoke Ball Company and in Edwards v Skyways. If this had been a true joke with a punchline, the public couldn't have received the comment without also having any implied threat in the comments dissipated.
I think the problems for the perpetrators are:-

(a) the private communication point does not work because it is reasonable forseeable that one of the fairly numerous recipients would distribute it. You are saying that is a breach of trust (I think you are using that as a synonym for confidence) but any duty of confidence has to be inferred merely from the fact the group is private. The circumstances including the absence of warnings of the existence of the duty mean that the duty might not exist at all and it if does exist, the risk of dissemination despite the duty was high. The failure of the private communication point means the perpetrators are in no better position than if they had posted the messages publicly.

(b) The personalised nature of many of the comments identifies a victim. The moves the case out of the university as moral censor inquiringly as to the tastefulness of the comments and into the university acting to protect an individual in respect of whom the university had the right and arguably the public law duty to act.

(c) I think there is a third point. The comments aren't really a joke. By referring to the comments as a joke what the perpetrators really mean is that the comments shouldn't be given their natural meaning but instead should be seen as comments to which no consequence should be paid. It is the losing argument in Carlill v Smoke Ball Company and in Edwards v Skyways. If this had been a true joke with a punchline, the public couldn't have received the comment without also having any implied threat in the comments dissipated.

No, I was not talking about confidence and I purposefully avoided talking about it by using generic "breach of trust". But I don't think that there must be confidence for the posters to claim they reasonably never expected other participants to post the messages publicly. This is important because it affects how we determine the harm caused by the messages as they were originally posted, i.e. by A) "posting" they never foresaw the direct consequence of B) "distress" to the "victims" of the comments. This therefore limits the inherent culpability of the comments, making expulsion potentially less proportionate.

The rest is arguable, and I think it had been argued extensively already with little progress.
No, I was not talking about confidence and I purposefully avoided talking about it by using generic "breach of trust". But I don't think that there must be confidence for the posters to claim they reasonably never expected other participants to post the messages publicly. This is important because it affects how we determine the harm caused by the messages as they were originally posted, i.e. by A "posting" they never foresaw the direct consequence of B "distress" to the "victims" of the comments. This therefore limits the inherent culpability of the comments, making expulsion potentially less proportionate.

I think liability to punishment depends on whether publication was reasonably foreseeable ie an objective test. The level of punishment should depend on actual foresight ie a subjective test and actual and potential harm caused with a leaning towards actual harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending