The Student Room Group

AQA A level Classical Civilisation 1021/2021[Exam discussion]

Hi! :wavey:

This is the disucssion thread for the AS and A2 Classical Civilsation papers being sat in May/June 2018.

Exam dates:

Paper 1 (Codes CIV1A- CIV1F) 21st May 2018

Paper 2 (Codes CIV2A - CIV2F) 24th May 2018

Paper 3 (Codes CIV3A - CIV3D) 15th June 2018

Paper 4 (codes CIV4A - CIV4D) 19th June 2018

Eah exam in 1 hour 30 minutes, and will consist of 2 sections - where you answer one option in each section out of the two presented (e.g. selection option 1 but not 2, 3 but not 4)

Papers 1 and 2 (AS) are out of 65 marks, and Papers 3 and 4 (A2) are out of 75.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
can anyone pls send me any revision guides or any revision tips or literally anything
No.
Reply 3
Original post by IPatel
can anyone pls send me any revision guides or any revision tips or literally anything

Definitely read the set texts. That might help. :smile:
This was absolutely no help whatsoever. Do u know what to do, just read through all the notes that ur teacher has given u. I did this for both exams and i know 1000 percent that i got a grade 6/7 or above. It is the best way to pass ur exams and get a high grade, and i am talking from experience. Your teacher would have given u all the notes for the specification. Hope that was helpfull. ☺☺
Ask me if u want me to send u my notes. Ive gotta admit they are really good. My teacher made exam questions for the whole specification and answered them for us. If u could send me ur email that would be good. Depends what topic ur doing tho.😶
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Was just reading through the spec on the AQA website (unit 3C-Greek Tragedy) and it says something about dramatic techniques. Just wondering what kind of thing this included, obviously there is dramatic irony and I’ve done the past paper question on that but was just wondering what the others were, if there are any
Original post by rkjagb66
Was just reading through the spec on the AQA website (unit 3C-Greek Tragedy) and it says something about dramatic techniques. Just wondering what kind of thing this included, obviously there is dramatic irony and I’ve done the past paper question on that but was just wondering what the others were, if there are any

Dramatic techniques are something similar to author's methods - allegory, songs, metaphors, references to historical context/people etc. It could also be naming what does the character's name mean and does it reference anything in their storyline/the events of the play?
Does anyone have any predictions for 40 markers in Greek tragedy module?? Xx
Original post by caroline.2000
Does anyone have any predictions for 40 markers in Greek tragedy module?? Xx

Maybe women/gender?

I'll be so grateful if there's one on the Chorus though
Reply 9
Greek Tragedy.. what is everyone saying. I did the Medea context which was really good but think I misinterpreted the oikos one and didn’t realise till I was half way through. Didn’t understand the bit about political something
Yeah the Medea questions were so nice! I did the men/women 40 marker cos the other one sounded confusing! I’m sure u did alright tho xx
Reply 11
Did anyone do Augustus? How did they find it? 🤔
Original post by ZoeN2

I have friends who sat it - their reactions were mixed; not everyone was expecting the Ara Pacis 2 papers in a row.
Reply 13
Original post by ZoeN2

I just did it! I thought it wasnt the greatest it could have been.. not oging to lie i panicked at the 40 markers! Which questions did you do (if you did it) x
Original post by ZoeN2

I thought the ara pacis source was a sly move considering it was on the 2017 paper, I did option b because the 20 marker was really nice. I’m a bit annoyed with myself for not doing the forum of Augustus, what did everyone else put for the 40marker on the reforms of the gpvernent and respect for the past?
Reply 15
Original post by TeeMuzz
I just did it! I thought it wasnt the greatest it could have been.. not oging to lie i panicked at the 40 markers! Which questions did you do (if you did it) x

Hey! I did section B and then section C. I wrote the date for the battle 42BC and Phillpi which I know is completely wrong.... what did you put? but the 20 marker was great! I write how Augustus violated the cursus Horoum etc. For the 40 marker I broke it down into 4 sections. I wrote he respected the past though religious reform and his respect for the senate but on the other hand he violated it though the cursus hororum and the use of the equestrians. What about everyone else?😌
Original post by ZoeN2
Hey! I did section B and then section C. I wrote the date for the battle 42BC and Phillpi which I know is completely wrong.... what did you put? but the 20 marker was great! I write how Augustus violated the cursus Horoum etc. For the 40 marker I broke it down into 4 sections. I wrote he respected the past though religious reform and his respect for the senate but on the other hand he violated it though the cursus hororum and the use of the equestrians. What about everyone else?😌

Ok that’s a bit of a relief, wasnt sure if I was on track, I essentially did the same with respect for the senate, solutions to problems with new concepts like handling grain supply/ equestrian procurators and manipulating the Curus honorum. Annoyed that I forgot religion!
Is anyone sitting the Tiberius and Claudius paper (CIV4D) on Tuesday afternoon?
Original post by ZoeN2

for me it was a great paper! i did section a of the 2017 paper for my mock and section a this year was quite literally the same with a different panel! what did you think?
Reply 19
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Is anyone sitting the Tiberius and Claudius paper (CIV4D) on Tuesday afternoon?

Yes I am! How you feeling for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending