The Student Room Group

Edexcel 9-1 GCSE Computer Science Paper 1 Monday 14th May 2018 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Just completed the exam want to say it went well but I shouldn't be to optimistic.

Scroll to see replies

Was easy I guess but I am not expecting a 9 anymore. Last question was hard (probably scrapped 2 marks, 3 marks if I am lucky) and I missed the question with the special condition that can be handled by Caesar cipher. Some of my answers were pretty vague also. I probably lost 10-15 marks in the paper.
Also I was not sure how to fully answer the 24 bit depth question. I explained that approximately 16 million colours could be used and that was it.
1. 300 x 200= 60000 Pixels
2. 24 Colour bit depth gives approximately 16 million colours.
(edited 5 years ago)
It was 200x300, and is it a problem if you didn’t write pixels after it?
Original post by CompSciMaster
It was 200x300, and is it a problem if you didn’t write pixels after it?

I'm not sure it was 1 mark
Reply 6
Yeah it was only one mark and 200*300 is right
Give 4 features of a compiler
What are two of the things that are stored in the main memory according to the Von Neuman model
Original post by Shailen2064
Give 4 features of a compiler
What are two of the things that are stored in the main memory according to the Von Neuman model

1. Compiles everything in one go
2. Only returns error after whole thing is compiled
3. Turns source code into machine code after which no compiler or source code is needed
4. Not sure -

1. Data
2. Programs
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Guys What about Embedded systems? How they work in head lights of a vehicle?
3 advantages of wireless over wired connections
How does router work? (5 marker)
Reply 12
Best case, worst case of binary search algorithm (2 marks)
Describe Penetration testing (2 marks)
Describe two ways in which the improper disposal of digital devices can have harmful effect on human health (4 marks)
Why are devices connected on a network (2 marks)
Reply 13
Embedded systems one - monitors light levels and turns on headlights when it's dark and turns them off when there is sufficient light
Original post by Varss
Embedded systems one - monitors light levels and turns on headlights when it's dark and turns them off when there is sufficient light

Is that a 3 mark answer? I put that either the user can press a button or it turns on after a certain time (I put 6 pm).
Paper went well. Just last question was very weird didn’t cover it in class or anything.
Can someone remind me of what the last question was again?

Also, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors, the answer to the hexadecimal colour conversion one is 5F 9E A0, which is good since I believe I got that if memory serves.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by lorddemaxus
Is that a 3 mark answer? I put that either the user can press a button or it turns on after a certain time (I put 6 pm).

The question didn't specify if the headlights turn on/off automatically or manually so I don't think it matters if you said driver presses a switch or sensors.
Original post by anaby01
Best case, worst case of binary search algorithm (2 marks)
Describe Penetration testing (2 marks)
Describe two ways in which the improper disposal of digital devices can have harmful effect on human health (4 marks)
Why are devices connected on a network (2 marks)

Anyone got answers for these
Reply 19
Original post by Dil007
Just completed the exam want to say it went well but I shouldn't be to optimistic.

I struggled on the page with all the mail protocols, forgot to revise them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending