The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 9-1 Computer Science 2018: thoughts?

Has anybody seen an unofficial mark scheme? I think I did pretty okay, but I'm worried because I'm taking it for a-level next year, and if I've messed it up then I have no clue what I could take instead..I had so much spare time, like all Comp Sci exams, so I counted up what I thought I got, and I'd say about 70%. I know I messed up that 9 marker though..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
which 3 did u do, i did Denial of service, malware and phishing but im not sure about dos and phishing
Reply 2
Where did you find the unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 3
I put virus, ransomware and trojan, because I think they had to directly affect the computers and I'm not sure DoS does
i agree but i put virus worm and trojan
Reply 5
Original post by ramemes
which 3 did u do, i did Denial of service, malware and phishing but im not sure about dos and phishing

DoS would get you some marks, I'm not sure about malware or phishing because they're not forms of attacks. I think they were looking for passive, active, insider, brute force and dos.
Reply 6
I don't think they had to be forms of attacks, just things that could be a threat to the computers, like worms etc
Reply 7
I put malware, packet sniffing and phishing.
Reply 8
I've talked about this in the official discussion thread, but I definitely think I went in expecting it to be rock hard, but it turned out actually alright. The question at the very end was the only one I feel I messed up on really, I missed out the bank account question because I had a mind blank at the time and totally forgot that it was HTTPS, and I remembered as soon as I left the hall. I'm absolutely kicking myself because it was such a basic question.
Reply 9
Original post by ReTopic
I've talked about this in the official discussion thread, but I definitely think I went in expecting it to be rock hard, but it turned out actually alright. The question at the very end was the only one I feel I messed up on really, I missed out the bank account question because I had a mind blank at the time and totally forgot that it was HTTPS, and I remembered as soon as I left the hall. I'm absolutely kicking myself because it was such a basic question.

It was only 2 marks, don't beat yourself up over it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mikos
It was only 2 marks, don't beat yourself up over it :smile:

Thanks man, I'm sure we all did really well on this one. I love TSR man, I can come home and see how other people did across the country, it's a really helpful place :smile:
Original post by ramemes

yo i did dos too but not phising
do u know the question about the villagers.Did anyone mention that becuase it was a small island that the introduction of the internet and mobile phones will distinguish the difference between rich and poor as only the rich can afford it.This could lead to bullying.
I feel as if i waffled a bit
Original post by Adam-renz
do u know the question about the villagers.Did anyone mention that becuase it was a small island that the introduction of the internet and mobile phones will distinguish the difference between rich and poor as only the rich can afford it.This could lead to bullying.

I'd say that's more of a cultural effect but you will still be fine because it asks to talk about the inhabitants.
For 9 marker I put: Passive Attack, Active attack and Brute Force Attack
Reply 15
Original post by Harry171
yo i did dos too but not phising

can i eat you
Original post by olly2001
I put virus, ransomware and trojan, because I think they had to directly affect the computers and I'm not sure DoS does

I should have out ransomware :// I put viruses can infiltrate easier too, which I think is right, but I couldn't think of any more threats directly because of the computer being connected in a network.. So I put brute force and phishing..
Original post by aliceoko
Has anybody seen an unofficial mark scheme? I think I did pretty okay, but I'm worried because I'm taking it for a-level next year, and if I've messed it up then I have no clue what I could take instead..I had so much spare time, like all Comp Sci exams, so I counted up what I thought I got, and I'd say about 70%. I know I messed up that 9 marker though..

How many marks do think you got? I probably scored around 55-65/80
What did everyone say for the protocol for transferring files? I said TCP/IP but I was torn between that and FTP...
Reply 19
Original post by Adam-renz

this is an example of the digital divide, so it will be marked as correct.

Quick Reply

Latest