The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physcis U1&U2&U3 for May 2018

This is a discussion for the students who are taking the AS Physics exams for Unit 1&2&3 with the Edexcel exams board.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Janxgs
This is a discussion for the students who are taking the AS Physics exams for Unit 1&2&3 with the Edexcel exams board.

How was the chem unit 3 and physics unit 3 exam?Predictions on grade boundaries?
Reply 2
I will use this discussion thread as a revision blog for the rest of my exams.
Just had my PHY unit 3 exam yesterday and it wasnt as bad as I thought. I only did some before-the-exam cram revisions so there are a lot of stuff that I didnt make time to study, I guess I was just lucky that the exam wasn’t so hard.

So I decided to start some intense revision for the rest of my subjects, however the time is already quite late to make a big difference, still, I will TRY MY BEST.

I am taking the exams as listed below:
Physics Unit 3: 9th May 2018
Economics Unit 1: 14th May 2018
Physics Unit 1: 15th May 2018
Economics Unit 2: 17th May 2018
Physics Unit 2: 18th May 2018
Maths C12: 23rd May 2018
Maths M1: 6th June 2018

If you are taking any of the subjusts that’s listed above you may find this thread helpful:smile: I hope here will have some useful resources and tips for those who are taking their AS & A-Level exams.

Good Luck!!!
Reply 3
Original post by arizonaidiot
How was the chem unit 3 and physics unit 3 exam?Predictions on grade boundaries?

Hi there,

I have attached the most recent grade boundaries for the Edexcel IAL Exams(one is October 2017's and the other is Jan 2018's).

(This year's grade boundaries are probably gonna be the same I suppose, in order to get an A you need at least 31 marks for the Unit 3 papers in the three sciences.)
Reply 4
How will you prepare for unit 1 and 2 phys?
Reply 5
Original post by Presto
How will you prepare for unit 1 and 2 phys?

Unit 1&2 are testing how well you understand the physics laws and terms, so make sure you don‘t lose marks in calculations.
The best way for me to revise is just reviewing the key points through either books or online videos and make notes throughout. Then practice past papers under exams conditions, and mark the papers afterwards.
Reply 6
Original post by Janxgs
Unit 1&2 are testing how well you understand the physics laws and terms, so make sure you don‘t lose marks in calculations.
The best way for me to revise is just reviewing the key points through either books or online videos and make notes throughout. Then practice past papers under exams conditions, and mark the papers afterwards.

Ah ok thanks! I review after I practice past papers under exam conditions cos I don't know what I don't know so my mistakes tell me that. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Presto
Ah ok thanks! I review after I practice past papers under exam conditions cos I don't know what I don't know so my mistakes tell me that. Good luck!

Yea, doing them under timed conditions is crucial to me as my biggest problem is to finish the papers under the required time. Anyways, good luck with your exams!
Reply 8
Original post by Janxgs
Yea, doing them under timed conditions is crucial to me as my biggest problem is to finish the papers under the required time. Anyways, good luck with your exams!

Same. I feel like Edexcel has given no thinking time at all especially for unit 1 as if we're the direct descendants of Einstein himself. Don't know if it's just me but just solving 1 single paper leaves me drained. Thanks!
Original post by Presto
Same. I feel like Edexcel has given no thinking time at all especially for unit 1 as if we're the direct descendants of Einstein himself. Don't know if it's just me but just solving 1 single paper leaves me drained. Thanks!

that's true
Reply 10
Original post by Presto

Ikr:frown: it really sucks when u knew that you know the answers and how to say them in the right way but the clock just ticks faster than you can write...then (Well, for me) usually ends with sth blank..damn.
Reply 11
Revision updates: 12th/May 2018

Omg...one more day to my Econ exam and I got a big week ahead: Econ-Phys-Econ-Phys..bless anyone who has the same schedule!

Anyways_today wasn't so bad.
I managed to finish four sets of Physics U1 papers and made some quality revision notes on the parts I am weak at(materials behaviors and etc).
Also, as I planned to do 8 papers a day, the reason for the delay is that I was trying to build the 3D model up for my ART FP..(as I already missed the DDL, dunno if I will still have the chance to be marked..but rn exams are the priority)
Rn it's nearly 00:00, I am planning to finish 1.5 Econ paper and mark the multiple choices then go to sleep.(Just hope I wont fell asleep in the meantime)

If so, I somehow managed to follow the plan. Then I will post another update.

Good luck everyone!!
Original post by Janxgs
Revision updates: 12th/May 2018

Omg...one more day to my Econ exam and I got a big week ahead: Econ-Phys-Econ-Phys..bless anyone who has the same schedule!

Anyways_today wasn't so bad.
I managed to finish four sets of Physics U1 papers and made some quality revision notes on the parts I am weak at(materials behaviors and etc).
Also, as I planned to do 8 papers a day, the reason for the delay is that I was trying to build the 3D model up for my ART FP..(as I already missed the DDL, dunno if I will still have the chance to be marked..but rn exams are the priority)
Rn it's nearly 00:00, I am planning to finish 1.5 Econ paper and mark the multiple choices then go to sleep.(Just hope I wont fell asleep in the meantime)

If so, I somehow managed to follow the plan. Then I will post another update.

Good luck everyone!!

what marks have you been getting in the u1 physics papers and how many past papers have you done?
guys can we draw vector diagrams in ial paper by a PENCIL????
Reply 14
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
guys can we draw vector diagrams in ial paper by a PENCIL????

I am not sure about this. I usually draw the diagram by pencil first lightly, then check if there’s nothing wrong with it, I will then trace it by pen.(Tho this takes a bit longer but just in case pencil isn’t dark enough.)
Reply 15
Original post by arizonaidiot
what marks have you been getting in the u1 physics papers and how many past papers have you done?

My marks for the Phys.U1 paper are around (the least so far) 51/80 and (the best) 57/80 :frown:
Quite worried for now, as I am aiming for at least 65 in this paper.
Anyways didn’t do any Phys tday as my Econ.U1 is tmr.

Oh, and so far, I have only done 6 papers and planning to do AT LEAST 12 more before the exam.

(I will post an update for my revision today and schedule for the following two days.)
Reply 16
Revision update: 13th/May 2018

Hmm it’s been a long day. But managed to follow at least 2/3 of my schedule.

A little update the the revision last night: I planned to do 1.5 econ paper for U1, but in the end, I only managed to finish the first 6 MCs and fell asleep..

- Anyways, today I have been doing papers non-stopping and managed to finish all (plus marking) of the MCs in the past papers for Econ.U1.
- Planning to do 5 complete sets of Q9&Q10 in section B for the econ paper as they are ones I am least confident with rn.
- FYI, the marks I’ve been getting for the MCs are from 27-29/32. I guess I just need to be a bit more clear when I am make my rejection points and need to remember to always refer back to the case if there’s facts, figures or diagram give in the questions.

I will post an update for the analysis questions when I finish at least 2 sets (4 questions) of them, and see how I am getting on.

Good luck to every one! Big week ahead; let’s get this DONE!!
Does anyone have a guideline for the experiments questions of unit 1. Like how to answer them and write the steps and such?
Reply 18
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
Does anyone have a guideline for the experiments questions of unit 1. Like how to answer them and write the steps and such?

I don’t have a guideline for the experiment questions but it should be similar for each one. The basic structure should be: apparatus, measurements, and how to use ur measurements to get a constant, usually by showing how you plot the graph of y=mx+c, and remember to define what each term stands for (especially what the gradient is).

Good lucks
Original post by Janxgs
I don’t have a guideline for the experiment questions but it should be similar for each one. The basic structure should be: apparatus, measurements, and how to use ur measurements to get a constant, usually by showing how you plot the graph of y=mx+c, and remember to define what each term stands for (especially what the gradient is).

Good lucks

thank you sooooo much :smile:
good luck tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest