The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I recommend focusing on grades atm, get your a levels out of the way but still keep an eye out for resources and learn more about the exam as your figuring out where to apply etc. once summer exams are over may/early June then start preparing I recommend attempting the official practice questions first to identify weakness. if you find the test easy/ok then 2- 4 weeks shud be enough time. if you found it difficult then you might want to take longer to prepare. best of luck:smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Ric__1986
Is anyone preparing for ukcat for 2019 entry ?

When are you planning on doing yours?
Hey people, I'm from Slovakia and will be finishing my high school studies in 2019 but I need to apply for the British universities this year sometime around October. To do that, I have to pass the UKCAT exam and I would really appreciate it if someone explained to me when I should registrate for the exam so I can take it this summer, so I can send the application for the university in October. Thank you in advance!
Don't be too dissuaded by the comments suggesting you hold off a bit longer before preparing - I don't see how you can be "overprepared" in any sense for any test. They are right though in that much of what you will need to revise effectively isn't made available for a few months yet.

I'm also planning to sit the UKCAT this year - as a bio graduate. The time restrictions are really freaking me out so like you, I'm taking the time to familiarise myself with the format just now and plot out just how, and when, I'll be able to do my best with it. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Johnathan94
Don't be too dissuaded by the comments suggesting you hold off a bit longer before preparing - I don't see how you can be "overprepared" in any sense for any test. They are right though in that much of what you will need to revise effectively isn't made available for a few months yet.

I'm also planning to sit the UKCAT this year - as a bio graduate. The time restrictions are really freaking me out so like you, I'm taking the time to familiarise myself with the format just now and plot out just how, and when, I'll be able to do my best with it. :smile:

Im applying for GEM 2019, totally on the same page, I'm running out of time on each section meaning I'm guessing around 40% of the questions :frown:
To add to our previous reply - if you're curious about the kinds of questions you'll get in the exam or want to begin early, the best way to practise for the UKCAT is to complete practice questions online - our UKCAT Question Bank has thousands of questions, detailed answer explanations and is also completely FREE!

We also have a range of resources on UKCAT tips and preparation which you might find useful:

- UKCAT Guide
- UKCAT Preparation
- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning
- UKCAT Decision Making
- UKCAT Situational Judgement

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
I've just bought medify for 3 months and am getting 71% for VR and then high 70s and 80s for the rest (although I have only done like 5 questions on each one). How representative is the actual test compared to medify?
Hi guys,

So basically UKCAT bookings opened online 2 weeks ago - so remember to go book your place! (dates available from July to October)

Thought this would be a good place for people to put how they are revising for these exams and any useful resources they have. (Basically help each other out lol)
And if there are any current med students who have any tips, your advice would be much appreciated!!!

In terms of weightings, many uni's weight the UKCAT score differently when deciding your offers - so if you need any info, hit me up on here :smile:

Will be doing a BMAT thread too...
I was given a load of books from friends in the year above however the general consensus I got was that you should just use Medify for about 4 weeks prior to your exam.
My exam is on the 26th of July and I have been doing like 15-20 minutes a day (most of the time... although I did start practicing questions in like January) of medify and I have used a lot of medic portal too and I have like 2 books on the UKCAT. I think its finally starting to make sense (could just be that the Medify questions are a lot easier...)
Original post by carrotmuncher
Hi guys,

So basically UKCAT bookings opened online 2 weeks ago - so remember to go book your place! (dates available from July to October)

Thought this would be a good place for people to put how they are revising for these exams and any useful resources they have. (Basically help each other out lol)
And if there are any current med students who have any tips, your advice would be much appreciated!!!

In terms of weightings, many uni's weight the UKCAT score differently when deciding your offers - so if you need any info, hit me up on here :smile:

Will be doing a BMAT thread too...

Hi everyone!

You can read all about preparation tips on our UKCAT guide - we have tips for each section of the exam:

- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Decision Making Tips
- UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips

We also have a completely free UKCAT Question Bank to help you with your preparation! It has thousands of questions, detailed performance tracking and access is completely unlimited.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Hi guys! :smile:

I am planning on taking my UKCAT in the first week of July - anyone else in the same boat? Trying to get it done early so I can focus on my masters dissertation!
Reply 32
Original post by DoctorMoonlight
Hi guys! :smile:

I am planning on taking my UKCAT in the first week of July - anyone else in the same boat? Trying to get it done early so I can focus on my masters dissertation!

Hi,
I’m taking it on Aug 14th.

Good Luck to you !!!
Original post by SSRaj
Hi,
I’m taking it on Aug 14th.

Good Luck to you !!!

Thank you!! And best of luck to you!
Hi carrotmuncher,

I have a predicted of AAA at A-level. Got 1A*, rest As, and a B in Biology and English Language.

Suppose I ace the UKCAT and get a high score, what unis would u recommend I apply for that don't rank or score GCSEs at all, but only require the minimum GCSE entry criteria?

I am looking towards St Andrews, Newcastle, Queen Mary's London and Aberdeen ? Maybe u can help me out?

Thanks,
cricketta
Aiming for August 11th - good luck!

How is everyone preparing for the test?
Original post by cricketta
Hi carrotmuncher,

I have a predicted of AAA at A-level. Got 1A*, rest As, and a B in Biology and English Language.

Suppose I ace the UKCAT and get a high score, what unis would u recommend I apply for that don't rank or score GCSEs at all, but only require the minimum GCSE entry criteria?

I am looking towards St Andrews, Newcastle, Queen Mary's London and Aberdeen ? Maybe u can help me out?

Thanks,
cricketta

Hi cricketta,

So for St Andrews:
Their minimum entry requirement offer is AAA at A-level (so the subjects they need those grades in is Chemistry and one of either bio or mathematics.) So basically the 3rd subject is of your choice.
In terms of the GCSE requirements, they require a minimum of 5 A grades. On the website they have listed that they look at academic performance, personal statement and reference alongside your UKCAT.

I have attached the link so you can go check out more information about the entry requirement:

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100/entry-requirements/academic-requirements/uk-qualifications/

So for Newcastle:
Their minimum entry requirement offer is AAA at A-level (the subjects they require this in is Chemistry and/or in Biology. - So Chemistry is a must.)
If you are on track to getting three AAA's then they do not look at GCSE grade. GCSE grades have no weighting on the application.

I have attached the link so you can go check out more information about the entry requirement:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#entryrequirements

So for Queen Mary's London:
Their minimum entry requirement offer is AAA at A-level (the subjects they require this in is Chemistry or Biology, another science or maths (chemistry, biology, physics or maths) and an a-level in another subject.
In terms of GCSE's requirements, Queen Mary's is picky because they require AAABBB or above (these are required in subjects including Biology, Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics.)

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/a100/

So for Aberdeen:
Their minimum requirement is offer is AAA at A-level (the subjects they require this in is Chemistry (a must), one subject from either: biology, maths and physics is required and the 3rd subject is anything.
In terms of GCSE requirements, they require Grade 4 passes in English and Maths. They expect a combination of Grade 6-9 passes at GCSE.

https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/uk-academic-requirements.php#panel536

Now in terms of ranking GCSE's:
The universities that you are consideirng applying to rank you on your UKCAT score and how good your personal statement (+ reference are). For most UK universities, GCSE results aren't taken into consideration as long as you have a minimum of grade B in english.
According to rumours, it appears Oxbridge (mainly Oxford) rank students on their GCSE grades.

A lot of information to take into account, but I hope this helps you out. :smile:
Would Dundee be similar?
Original post by ansjfnauni88
Would Dundee be similar?

Hi ansjfnauni88,

So for Dundee:
Their entry requirements are AAA for A-level (Chemistry is a must alongside one of biology, physics or mathematics. The third choice is your own preference).
*Common subject combinations for medicine applicants is Chemistry, Biology and Maths*

In terms of GCSE entry requirements, they have mentioned they will take into account GCSE results (alongside AS resultls).
This could possibly mean that they do a ranking as they are basically taking into account all the academic results.
However, having said that, seeing as the entry requirements are pretty much the same as the ones I have explained above for cricketta - I assume they require minimum of B and above in the 'relevant subjects' (so like: Biology, English etc)

I have attached the link below - check it out to find additional information about UKCAT score and interviews:

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/medicine/

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by carrotmuncher
Hi ansjfnauni88,

So for Dundee:
Their entry requirements are AAA for A-level (Chemistry is a must alongside one of biology, physics or mathematics. The third choice is your own preference).
*Common subject combinations for medicine applicants is Chemistry, Biology and Maths*

In terms of GCSE entry requirements, they have mentioned they will take into account GCSE results (alongside AS resultls).
This could possibly mean that they do a ranking as they are basically taking into account all the academic results.
However, having said that, seeing as the entry requirements are pretty much the same as the ones I have explained above for cricketta - I assume they require minimum of B and above in the 'relevant subjects' (so like: Biology, English etc)

I have attached the link below - check it out to find additional information about UKCAT score and interviews:

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/medicine/

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks!