The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 16 May 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 Edexcel M3 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 42%
Good :H 32%
Okay :bebored: 26%
Bad :cry2: 0%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@0%
Total votes: 19

Edexcel A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Mechanics 3
Date: Wednesday 16th May 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: It's done! :woohoo:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for M3 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
Edexcel AS Core Maths C1
Edexcel AS Core Maths C2
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C3
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C4
Edexcel AS Mechanics M1
Edexcel A2 Mechanics M2
Edexcel AS Statistics S1
Edexcel A2 Statistics S2
Edexcel AS Decision Maths D1
Edexcel A2 Decision Maths D2
Edexcel AS Further Pure FP1
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP2
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP3
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely one of my harder exams, its a toss up between this and FP3.

If i think of any tips ill let u know
Reply 2
You probably already do this but make sure u have a SEXY diagram!

It can clarify the problem nicely.
Original post by Shaanv
Definitely one of my harder exams, its a toss up between this and FP3.

If i think of any tips ill let u know

My hardest A Level exam is definitely going to be D1.

If going by how low the A* boundary is as an indication of paper difficulty, the "hardest" paper I've found is June 2013 reserve, which required 62/75 for A*.
Original post by I hate maths
My hardest A Level exam is definitely going to be D1.

If going by how low the A* boundary is as an indication of paper difficulty, the "hardest" paper I've found is June 2013 reserve, which required 62/75 for A*.

If by reserve, you mean (R), this was the paper for those at least 5 hours East of the UK.

There was also a Withdrawn paper that summer, when a packet of various Edexcel papers went missing in the Netherlands and all had to be replaced swiftly.
Original post by tiny hobbit
If by reserve, you mean (R), this was the paper for those at least 5 hours East of the UK.

There was also a Withdrawn paper that summer, when a packet of various Edexcel papers went missing in the Netherlands and all had to be replaced swiftly.

Oops I do mean that one, sorry I think I just made up what the R stands for. Do you know why these papers are so much harder? Or are the boundaries lower for a different reason?
Oops I do mean that one, sorry I think I just made up what the R stands for. Do you know why these papers are so much harder? Or are the boundaries lower for a different reason?

The papers are written by the same team of examiners.

I think there is a much bigger spread of ability at M3 amongst those taking the R papers.

For June 2013:
Ordinary: A 62, 39.6 % of candidates. E 35, 87.5 % of candidates got E or better.
R: A 55, 29.7% of candidates. E 29, 71.6% of candidates got E or better.
Reply 7
The IAL papers are very good to try. Have a go at Jan 2017 and June 2017 IAL papers. you can find them on PMT, if you can do those well you should have a good shot on wednesday
Original post by k92e67
The IAL papers are very good to try. Have a go at Jan 2017 and June 2017 IAL papers. you can find them on PMT, if you can do those well you should have a good shot on wednesday

They are also available on the Edexcel website, with June 2017 and older accessible without a password. There they come with the Examiners' Report, which can give useful hints.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials
Reply 9
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Papers-Edexcel/January%202011%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

can someone help me with question 2 b) please... i tried doing it the moments method but got a bit lost half way through...

i do understand the mark scheme method but was wondering if we could do it by moments too?

thank you and good luck!!
Reply 10
Original post by ndk123
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Papers-Edexcel/January%202011%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

can someone help me with question 2 b) please... i tried doing it the moments method but got a bit lost half way through...

i do understand the mark scheme method but was wondering if we could do it by moments too?

thank you and good luck!!

Just tried it, and I did it by taking moments. I thought that would've been the method they would have used but i guess not. My advice would be to just draw a huge diagram, label everything clearly and find the perpendicular distances from each of the 'masses' to the vertical. It works out pretty easily. have another go at it, i can give you my working if u still want it
Reply 11
Original post by k92e67
Just tried it, and I did it by taking moments. I thought that would've been the method they would have used but i guess not. My advice would be to just draw a huge diagram, label everything clearly and find the perpendicular distances from each of the 'masses' to the vertical. It works out pretty easily. have another go at it, i can give you my working if u still want it

yes please, could you send me a picture of your working :smile: thank you!!
also would you mind helping me out in qu 2b) please! I really struggle with these type of questions :frown:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Papers-Edexcel/June%202017%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf
Reply 12
Original post by ndk123
yes please, could you send me a picture of your working :smile: thank you!!
also would you mind helping me out in qu 2b) please! I really struggle with these type of questions :frown:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Papers-Edexcel/June%202017%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

pm'd you
Original post by k92e67

I've just had a go at the June 2017 IAL - do you know how to do 7a? I get it up until the last three marks on the MS. :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by boodledoodle123
I've just had a go at the June 2017 IAL - do you know how to do 7a? I get it up until the last three marks on the MS. :s-smilie:

They tell you P passes through A. This means P completes a vertical circle so T is greater than or equal to 0 at the top. (1)

Setting T >= 0, you can get an inequality for V (speed at A) (using your equation with T and v) (2)

Now use conservation of energy to find the speed of P at A (V). Now that you have V, use the inequality you got from step (2) to get an inequality with e in it. Here your answer should simplify to the given result.
Good luck everyone!!
Reply 16
Good luck everyone!!

Have you got any tips for circular motion? Especially vertical circular motion.

Also, do you mind missing out a mark or two to lower the grade boundaries for people like me who started learning the module last week :colondollar:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by k92e67
They tell you P passes through A. This means P completes a vertical circle so T is greater than or equal to 0 at the top. (1)

Setting T >= 0, you can get an inequality for V (speed at A) (using your equation with T and v) (2)

Now use conservation of energy to find the speed of P at A (V). Now that you have V, use the inequality you got from step (2) to get an inequality with e in it. Here your answer should simplify to the given result.

OMG I just did it!! Thank you so much :biggrin:
Original post by MathQS
Have you got any tips for circular motion? Especially vertical circular motion.

Energy conservation, looking at the forces at the top of the circle and sometimes the bottom (these are the two important points usually), T>0 or R>0 should get you places.

And don't forget if the particle is attached to a rod you can't use T>0 condition for circular motion since rods don't go slack, the tension doesn't have much to say, look at using v>0 at the top of the circle instead.

That's about what I remember off the top of my head, good luck.

Edit to your edit: I'm self teaching M3 and basically started properly doing papers last week as well, we're in the same boat. :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Hi there, just one question. I usually use my calculator to solve quadratics, do you think I can get away with just writing the equation in the standard format and the solutions, or do I need to write down the quadratic formula? I think in the core maths papers you must show the formula, does anyone have an idea about M3?

Also yes, that June 13 R paper was impossible
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending