The Student Room Group

AQA French Listening and Reading 15th May 2018

How's everyone feeling about the reading and listening papers tomorrow? I'm feeling pretty worried as they are like my worst papers, I hope the boundaries are low :frown:

Scroll to see replies

don't worry I haven't revised for this coz I hated French anyway
Reply 2
Pretty confident to be honest.
I haven't revised at all for it as I'm prioritising Biology, but I've done very well in all the mocks so far.
Just remember to listen for words you know, and guess from there, and well tenses.

I'm more worried about the writing though, if any of the French exams are going to lower my overall grade, it will be that one.
Reply 3
Original post by Kaaseon
Pretty confident to be honest.
I haven't revised at all for it as I'm prioritising Biology, but I've done very well in all the mocks so far.
Just remember to listen for words you know, and guess from there, and well tenses.

I'm more worried about the writing though, if any of the French exams are going to lower my overall grade, it will be that one.

yeah, what are you aiming for?
Reply 4
I am really confident if i’m honest, in the reading ive never gotten below 95% and in the listening never below 85% :-)
Although i have never revised for it so i’m scared some stuff i have no idea about will come up.
Reply 5
Original post by lillie__
I am really confident if i’m honest, in the reading ive never gotten below 95% and in the listening never below 85% :-)
Although i have never revised for it so i’m scared some stuff i have no idea about will come up.

Seriously 95%?, that's mental. Was that in a specimen paper?
im aiming for 60% so i can hopefully get a 5/6 reading i think will go good but im not so sure about listening 🙁
Reply 7
Yea in specimen 1 and 2 i got 48 and 47
Worried coz listening and reading are the hardest imo
Reply 9
Original post by peeked
Seriously 95%?, that's mental. Was that in a specimen paper?

Yea In specimen 1 and 2 i got 48 and 47
Reply 10
Original post by hannah.xo
im aiming for 60% so i can hopefully get a 5/6 reading i think will go good but im not so sure about listening 🙁

I think the grade boundaries will be lower than that, I think 60% will be like a 7 probably and for listening it might even be an 8, that's what our school did
I've consistently got 8's for listening and reading in mocks. Hopefully I can get it in the real thing cos ik I failed the speaking
I think that if you get 50% plus (on the higher paper) on average then you will certainly get a 5 or above- the new specification is harder than then old one and the boundary for a C was usually around 50% (on the higher paper)

Bonne chance!!!
Original post by peeked
I think the grade boundaries will be lower than that, I think 60% will be like a 7 probably and for listening it might even be an 8, that's what our school did

What is the paper normally out of? On the specimen paper on reading I got 34 and on listening I got 33 i can't remember what it was out of 🤔 My teacher said that 50% would be a 6 which seems a bit off to me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't forget folks that by tommorow we will have completed 75% of the exams- then only the writing left.
By the weekend you won't have to do nay more French revision (this exam season)!!
Reply 15
Reading is out of 60 so you would've got 34/60 which is like 57% and listening out of 50 so you would've got 33/50 which is 66%. So that's like 6/7/8. I think for listening that might be like 7/8 as the boundaries are usually low and I think maybe 6/7 for reading?
Reply 16
Original post by peeked
yeah, what are you aiming for?

An 8, hopefully a 9 if I don't mess up the writing.
(If you ever need any quick tips, I've got a load, years of procrastination has prepared me for last minute learning, so it's quite condensed)
Original post by peeked
Reading is out of 60 so you would've got 34/60 which is like 57% and listening out of 50 so you would've got 33/50 which is 66%. So that's like 6/7/8. I think for listening that might be like 7/8 as the boundaries are usually low and I think maybe 6/7 for reading?

Woah,I hope I get a 6 in the exams bc i kind of panicked in the speaking and my teacher said i got a 5. if i get a 6 for the other ones then hopefully it will even out.
Reply 18
Original post by Kaaseon
An 8, hopefully a 9 if I don't mess up the writing.
(If you ever need any quick tips, I've got a load, years of procrastination has prepared me for last minute learning, so it's quite condensed)

Any tips for tommorow's exam, quite stressed for it rn
Reply 19
Original post by peeked
Any tips for tommorow's exam, quite stressed for it rn

Of course.
My top tips for the listening are..
- In the five minutes of preparation time (it should be announced before the listening starts), read through the paper, and highlight words you know in french in one colour, and what you don't know in another. This helps because you can focus on what you do know, and you can hazard a guess at what the question might be asking if you don't know the rest. As for the words you don't know, guess! (See if you understand what was said as a whole, and you can usually guess the answer)

- When listening to an answer if you find yourself struggling, listen to the first part of an answer first, answer that, then when the question is repeated, do the other bit.

- If you cant remember tenses, and an answer with a tense comes up, focus on the rest of the answer, if you understand that you should be able to take a guess at the tense.

My tips for the reading are

- Higlight words you recognise, that way you can guess the rest of the answer
- If it's a short question, not worth a lot, and you dont know the answer, guess, its not ideal but you can make up for it later
- Look for positives and negatives, sometimes questions will confuse you by including varying viewpoints, identify what right/wrong and you can answer accordingly

- Go through the key vocab, even if you feel like its not helping, it is and youre going to remember it somewhat.
-
(I do have more, but at the moment i can't focus enough to think properly, Science has got me dying. Sorry if this isn't too helpful, i'll send an update if i remember anymore.)

Quick Reply

Latest