The Student Room Group

psychology as level mark scheme 2018

This is all I remember and most likely not in order:

Social influence

1) Describe how Asch investigated 2 factors which he found influenced confromity. 2 marks

Could have said task difficulty, group size or unanimity- and give a brief explaination of how he studied this

2) Explain how social processes has contibuted to social change. 4 marks

Minority influence- commitment, consistency, flexibility, snowball effect, augmentation principle, social crypto amnesia etc.

3a) An interpreting a table q about recycling i think? 2 marks

TYpe of observation- I said covert observation, because she remained hidden

b)Type of sample- (I literally had no idea so i guessed lol) Random sample- as she did not prepick any of the students 2 marks

c) Interpret table, how do the results show recycling initiative? 4 marks

I just wrote about the differences between the years and that overall years7-9 were the best with recycling, and 12-13 were the worst

d) How can she improve the design of this experiment? 3 marks?

Literally had no idea, i left it out.

4) Explain and exaluate Zimbardos research into conformity? 8 makrs

just explain the experimental process, and finidings etc. I wrote about how there were demand characteristics, and ethics for evaluation

Memory

1) Explain the phonological loop? 3 marks

Stores auditory data, comprised of two sections phonological store( acts as inner ear) and the articulatory loop (acts as inner voice)

2) Explain how is the WWM better than the MSM? 1 mark

I just said it desribes stm as made up of many sections and is not just one unitary store

3) Which class would do worse in their exam? 4 marks

Sarahs because she would become subject to context dependent forgetting. Recall of info is better when you are in the same place as when you intially encoded the info. THerefore tommy would do better since he sat the exam in the same place he encoded the info, and would have context dependent cues.

4) Q on a psychologist who carries out an interview after seeing a band member hit in a concert.

a) How many hours did she spend interviewing? 2 marks

250 hours

b) what type of data did she use? 2 marks

I wasnt sure, so i said quantitative because she asked them closed questions which could not provide detail and lots of info as qualitative data would provide.

c) this experiment could have led to investigator effects, how could she prevent it? 3 marks?

She could ask another independent researcher to select which people to choose for the interview, or she could have asked an independent researcher to choose and devise the interview qs for her

5) Do not remember

6) Describe the cognitive interview and explain how this affects ewt? 8 marks

Context reinstatement, report everthing, report from diff perspectives, report in different orders.Helps to eliminate dishionesty and expectations/schema which can affext accuracy of ewt.

Attatchment

1) reciprocity- baby follows actions of mother

2)interactional synchrony- baby moves in time with mother

3) Explain and evaluate an animal study?

Lorenz geese- imprinting on Lorenz was permanent/ evaluation- cannot generalise onto humans, contradictory research- guitons yellow glove experiment

Harlows monkeys- soft towelling mother or harsh wire mother- monkeys preffered soft mother regardless of whether she fed them or not./ evaluation- ethics, cannot genrealise to humans

4) What attatchment type were the children?

In order:

insecure- avoidant,

secure ,

insecure resistant

b) Describe characteristics of the children upon reunion with mother?

Avoidant- indifferent to mother, would not care very much

Secure- enthusaistic and happy, seek physical contact with mother

resisitant- seek and reject proximity ie. she would cling to mother but display ambivalent behaviour, or angrily reject being picked up but seek proximity in oither ways

5) Cultural variations into attatchment? 12 marks

Van ijzendoom and Kroonenberg- metanalysis including 32 studies, 8 different countries of the strange situation

finsings:

secure was most common (highest percentage in uk and lowest in china)

The most common insecure was avoidant in western countries(uk germany) and it was resisitant in non western countries (China, japan)

The variation within cultures was 1.5 times greater than between cultures

Evaluation-

culture bias, 27 out of 32 studies in non western countries, strange situation is based on western ideals, Takahasi carried it out in Japan and the strange situation did not work.

However it was a lab experiment, and babies were watched from multiple angles so there was a high degree of control and reliability of results etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you. This is really helpful! I hope paper 2 will be ok.
Does biopsychology appear in AS Psychology Paper 2?
Reply 3
Original post by gcse student 10
Does biopsychology appear in AS Psychology Paper 2?

Yes it does- it comes under the approaches in psychology section.
Reply 4
Original post by k.owsar
Thank you. This is really helpful! I hope paper 2 will be ok.

no problem! im terrified that i did badly on this because half of it was research methods, which im literally awful at. How did you find it?
how the heck did you remember all of that
Reply 6
Damm thanks man :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
how the heck did you remember all of that

It traumatised me so much, I can never forget it
Well done for remembering all that! Here are some of my thoughts.

Original post by iqrastyles
b)Type of sample- (I literally had no idea so i guessed lol) Random sample- as she did not prepick any of the students 2 marks

I put opportunity because no random generation was involved, and she randomly (ironic) decided to carry out the observation and did so at the next opportunity...but not sure.

4) Explain and exaluate Zimbardos research into conformity? 8 makrs

just explain the experimental process, and finidings etc. I wrote about how there were demand characteristics, and ethics for evaluation

The question was specifically about the procedure of the study!

4) What attatchment type were the children?

In order:

insecure- avoidant,

secure ,

insecure resistant

I put this as well; everyone I spoke to said they put secure and resistant the other way round, which I did at first, but I think you're right.
Reply 9
Original post by bazzakowski
Well done for remembering all that! Here are some of my thoughts.

I know youre correct about the Zimabardo question, my friend told me that it asked for that specifically after the exam and i got so stressed! But i think what i wrote may have been correct as i did just talk about the procedure and how he carried it out (ie randomly assigned)- and for evaluation i talked about how it led to demad characteristics so his procedure was not valid... hopefully that was enough to get the mark.
Also for the attatchment q, im pretty sure were both right on that as i double checked it before i wrote the answer down.
And Im completely unsure about the sampling q, im so scared i messed up on the research method questions because i didnt study it that much, and i turned out to be half the paper!
How did you find the paper as a whole?
It was alright for me, that I Am Groot guy's predictions helped me out so I got lucky :smile: a couple of the questions were a bit unclear, like the research methods q about what the figure shows about recycling felt a bit out of place.
Reply 11
Original post by iqrastyles
no problem! im terrified that i did badly on this because half of it was research methods, which im literally awful at. How did you find it?

Same. I found that the RM questions were awful too but other than that it was a good paper. But you will do fine don’t worry. I’m really scared for paper 2 though!
Was question 6 the one about peer reviews
Reply 13
Original post by Tiana<3
Was question 6 the one about peer reviews

The peer review question was the worst! I forgot most of the points to write for it. How many marks was the peer review question?
Reply 14
Original post by k.owsar
The peer review question was the worst! I forgot most of the points to write for it. How many marks was the peer review question?

Oh my god yes! i literally knew nothing for that, i just wrote she can expect an independent researcher to evaluate it and see if its fit to be published? im pretty sure it was worth only a few marks like 2 or 3
Original post by k.owsar

Hi, click here to see the real paper! Verified.
Wait guys, for the ' how does social influence have social change'. I talked about normative social influence. I said the person adapts to the groups norms which causes them to change their beliefs and behaviour to adapt to the groups norms?

NSI creates socal change as we apply to the groups norms and as its 'social' its talking about around other people.

Did i get that wrong? And for the 'What type of data did she collect' i put down primary data?
To let you know apparently the type of sampling was event sampling since they recorded every time someone (didn’t matter who) put rubbish in the bin! (I too got this q wrong and put opportunity)
Thanks this is super helpful:smile: And as for question 3b, the sampling one, I think it was referring to Event-sampling as every time the students put rubbish in the bin she recorded it
Reply 19
Original post by MrAnonymous76
Wait guys, for the ' how does social influence have social change'. I talked about normative social influence. I said the person a;apts to the groups norms which causes them to change their beliefs and behaviour to adapt to the groups norms?

NSI creates socal change as we apply to the groups norms and as its 'social' its talking about around other people.

Did i get that wrong? And for the 'What type of data did she collect' i put down primary data?

I'm not hundred percent sure, but i dont think that would recieve the marks as social change refers to a widespread change of belief- so how minority influence can cause a large change of beliefs. Obviously im not a teacher, so im not sure and you may have scored some marks even if they werent on the mark scheme, and if the examiner thought they were appropriate.
For the data q they asked name 'one type of observation' therefore suggesring you could have either put primary or covert observation- so you
got that right :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending