The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology paper 1

What did you guys get for the PVY antibody question and the B12 RDA maths question?

Scroll to see replies

Is that about the milk? Where you had to do the 500cm of milk stuff
Reply 2
like 500-600 or smth
I was pretty much dead at that point xD but I think it was just about the process of monoclonal antibodies

Found the first part of that question difficult the latter part not as bad
Overall the test was all right
Original post by Arjun14421
What did you guys get for the PVY antibody question and the B12 RDA maths question?

for the milk maths question it was like 559.67:

ok let me explain:

500ml amount contained

1000/620*500=ans1
2.4/4.7*500=ans2

final = ans1-ans2

please correct me on the values

edit: No units needed changing! The amount contained in the milk should be compared to GDA and the units were the same for each on both of them(like a ratio). This ratio is then multiplied by 500cm^3 (there was no conversion of units as the cm^3 part was for the milk only)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
I rounded up for the milk one and got 500
what was the stem cells - would you use therapeutic cloning?
Original post by Vignesh2001

yes and you had to describe how they would do this(cloned embryo from patient as a source of stem cells)... and how stem cells can make tissues... which could be combined to make an organ(lung) and put into the patients body.( also state therapeutic cloning useful as will not be rejected from body as genetic info in cloned stem cells same)

if you put all that you should get full marks, was that a 6 marker?
4 marker
Reply 9
Original post by Vignesh2001

yes
Original post by raindancess
for the milk maths question it was like 559.67 or something it didnt state d.p or d.f i cant remember what i put

oh no i got like 67 for that!!
Should we have changed units for the maths with the milk? They weren't in the same units
Original post by RainDancess
yes and you had to describe how they would do this(cloned embryo from patient as a source of stem cells)... and how stem cells can make tissues... which could be combined to make an organ(lung) and put into the patients body.( also state therapeutic cloning useful as will not be rejected from body as genetic info in cloned stem cells same)

if you put all that you should get full marks, was that a 6 marker?

Would it be the same for plants though?
Thats what i put
Opposite for me, i found the beginning really easy and then as i got through more difficult as i also got tired :biggrin:
Original post by RainDancess
for the milk maths question it was like 559.67 or something it didnt state d.p or d.f i cant remember what i put

ok let me explain:

500ml amount contained

1000/620*500=ans1
2.4/4.7*500=ans2

final = ans1-ans2

please correct me on the values

didn’t you need to convert the 2.4 and 4.7 to cm? it was in micrometers but the 620 was in cm
Original post by hayley101b
didn’t you need to convert the 2.4 and 4.7 to cm? it was in micrometers but the 620 was in cm

no because the amounts there were just a ratio for amount in milk in comparison to GDA
Original post by hayley101b

I converted on mine, but the conversions aren't on the biology spec - only chem and physics, so I was unsure.
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
I converted on mine, but the conversions aren't on the biology spec - only chem and physics, so I was unsure.

they are(for magnification)

no conversion was required in this question though read what i put above
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
Should we have changed units for the maths with the milk? They weren't in the same units

I thought we would have to at first but then I realised that both the values for vitamin b12 were in the same units so you didn't have to.

Quick Reply

Latest