The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Physics Paper 1 7408/1 - 04 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 AQA A Level Physics Paper 1?

Amazing! :woo: 6%
Good :H 21%
Okay :bebored: 36%
Bad :cry2: 22%
HORRIBLE PAPER! :@14%
Total votes: 1190

AQA A Level Physics Exam Discussions - 2018 Edition

Hey guys! Thought I'd make this niiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Physics exams this year?

Paper 1
Date: Monday 4th June 2018
Time: Afternoon
Duration: 2 hours
Days to go?: 2 :crazy:

The specification can be found here. Past papers can be found here.

A very useful resource for Physics exam preparation is Physics and Maths Tutor. A link to their A Level Physics resources is here.

Another great website is Antonine Education. Here's where to find their A Level Physics notes.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence

Other AQA Physics Exams:
AQA AS Physics Paper 1
AQA AS Physics Paper 2

AQA A Level Physics Paper 2
AQA A Level Physics Paper 3
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hows your physics revision goin everyone?
Does anyone have a list on all the derivations needed for a level physics ?
Reply 3
Is anybody doing the old spec papers?
Reply 4
Original post by Yukio.X
Is anybody doing the old spec papers?

I do them sometimes along with some other spec papers. They are ok not the most useful though as they aren't as hard
Reply 5
Original post by yusyus
I do them sometimes along with some other spec papers. They are ok not the most useful though as they aren't as hard

I don’t really find a big difference with difficulty with the old spec and the specimen papers tho. Its just the question wording and markschemes which are dodgey
Reply 6
Original post by Yukio.X
I don’t really find a big difference with difficulty with the old spec and the specimen papers tho. Its just the question wording and markschemes which are dodgey

well most people in my school find the old spec questions a lot easier because most of the questions are standard calculations and with the new spec theres a lot more reading and understanding needed.
Especially for paper 3 people struggle to find practice that will be as hard as the real thing
Reply 7
Original post by yusyus
well most people in my school find the old spec questions a lot easier because most of the questions are standard calculations and with the new spec theres a lot more reading and understanding needed.
Especially for paper 3 people struggle to find practice that will be as hard as the real thing

Oh right, well the grade boundries are hella low to compensate for that.
Reply 8
Original post by Yukio.X
Oh right, well the grade boundries are hella low to compensate for that.

yup; I just hope its the same this year - people will be more prepared though so grade boundaries will probably get higher
Reply 9
Original post by yusyus
yup; I just hope its the same this year - people will be more prepared though so grade boundaries will probably get higher

True
Guys do we have to memorise stuff like the volume of a cylinder cuz is that what it says in the spec
Original post by Yukio.X
Guys do we have to memorise stuff like the volume of a cylinder cuz is that what it says in the spec

It's all in the formula sheet but I don't think volume of a cylinder is
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymouspsych
It's all in the formula sheet but I don't think volume of a cylinder is

The spec says that we need to be able to calculate it as well as area of triangle ect. Does that mean we memorise it? So weird. Anyway do we also have be able to solve any quadratic equation using or just the ones using the formula? Like do we need to be able to use the completing the square method? Sorry im just bad at maths
Original post by Yukio.X
The spec says that we need to be able to calculate it as well as area of triangle ect. Does that mean we memorise it? So weird. Anyway do we also have be able to solve any quadratic equation using or just the ones using the formula? Like do we need to be able to use the completing the square method? Sorry im just bad at maths

I don't think so. However the formula sheet does have the quadratic formula for people who perhaps manage to find an alternative method to solve a problem which may require solving a quadratic.
Who's ready to faiiiill!
Does anyone have any predictions as to the questions that may come up?

We seem to think a question on moments, where the given forces are not acting perpendicular, has a good chance of appearing.
Original post by Fluxisms

We seem to think a question on moments, where the given forces are not acting perpendicular, has a good chance of appearing.

Any example on that type of question ?
Original post by Fluxisms

I've never had a moments question were the forces are not acting perpendicular. I guess you just resolve the different components????
Original post by BTAnonymous
I've never had a moments question were the forces are not acting perpendicular. I guess you just resolve the different components????

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-74081-QP-JUN17.PDF Check out Q5. It's intended to be solved using Moments (comes up in M2 Mathematics, AQA). I somehow did 5.3 without in my January mock because I didn't notice it even was a moments question so you may not have either...
Original post by Lawlerfhfbdj
Any example on that type of question ?

There is definitely a question like this on either the specification paper or the past papers on the newer course. I’m not too sure but we did it as a mock so I’ll find out.

Quick Reply