The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Product Design (RM) 2018, Unit 3 (6RM03) 8th June [Exam Discussion]

Haven't seen any such thread yet so I thought I'd make this to discuss the upcoming A2 exam in just over a month :banana:

Personally I haven't started revising yet because of how long it's taken to complete the coursework :redface: so I'd be happy to hear how everyone else is going about revising. I think my strategy will just be to condense and memorise the textbook and mark schemes as that's pretty much how you can guarantee the marks :tongue:

Good luck guys, we can do this! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amanzhol
Haven't seen any such thread yet so I thought I'd make this to discuss the upcoming A2 exam in just over a month :banana:

Personally I haven't started revising yet because of how long it's taken to complete the coursework :redface: so I'd be happy to hear how everyone else is going about revising. I think my strategy will just be to condense and memorise the textbook and mark schemes as that's pretty much how you can guarantee the marks :tongue:

Spoiler

Good luck everyone :grouphugs: and idk about that :colondollar: i did AQA but i'll think up some tips and write them here :hugs:
Tbh i think one of the best types of revision is going around just looking at products and asking the question of how was this made. iirc at A2 you aren't told the material or the process of how it's made and this really helps cement it into your head :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CoolCavy
Tbh i think one of the best types of revision is going around just looking at products and asking the question of how was this made. iirc at A2 you aren't told the material or the process of how it's made and this really helps cement it into your head :smile:

Ah I think the AQA A2 content might be a bit different because that sounds like the sort of thing Edexcel covers in AS :redface: Our A2 exam doesn't cover materials but rather things like manufacturing systems and sustainability (very fun I know), but thank you for the advice nonetheless :smile: Wish I'd used that technique myself for last year's exam tbh, but any current AS-ers out there should find that useful :wink:
Reply 4

Spoiler

hey!! im retaking my as this year (on Monday!!) and also doing my a2, I did awful in my a2 exam last year, think I got a D, and I think I only got a C in the coursework last year too which I was really angry about but oh well,

this year I got 87% in my coursework so hopefully that wil be an A, I need a B overall but would be good to get an A so need as much help as I can get !

btw im also doing edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by s-o-s
hey!! im retaking my as this year (on Monday!!) and also doing my a2, I did awful in my a2 exam last year, think I got a D, and I think I only got a C in the coursework last year too which I was really angry about but oh well,

this year I got 87% in my coursework so hopefully that wil be an A, I need a B overall but would be good to get an A so need as much help as I can get !

btw im also doing edexcel

Hi! Best of luck for the AS exam next week :smile: And congratulations on the coursework! I haven't found out my mark yet (actually just handed it in today :tongue:).

What are you going to be doing at uni, out of interest?
Reply 6
Hi! Best of luck for the AS exam next week :smile: And congratulations on the coursework! I haven't found out my mark yet (actually just handed it in today :tongue:).

What are you going to be doing at uni, out of interest?

thank you! I'm hoping to do industrial design at loughborough if I get the grades, I originally wanted to do product design but then felt id enjoy industrial design more :smile: wbu?
Reply 7
Original post by s-o-s
thank you! I'm hoping to do industrial design at loughborough if I get the grades, I originally wanted to do product design but then felt id enjoy industrial design more :smile: wbu?

Ah that sounds interesting, I'm going to be studying architecture, so looks like we're both sticking with the design route :tongue:
Reply 8
Ah that sounds interesting, I'm going to be studying architecture, so looks like we're both sticking with the design route :tongue:

Oh nice! I looked into architecture but stuck to industrial design, the A2 exam is on the 8th of June right?
Reply 9
Original post by s-o-s
Oh nice! I looked into architecture but stuck to industrial design, the A2 exam is on the 8th of June right?

Yep, 8th of June!
Reply 10
Yep, 8th of June!

I'm so stressed about the exam tomorrow, I need to do well but I find The AS harder than A2. I have no idea what will come up.
Reply 11
Original post by s-o-s
I'm so stressed about the exam tomorrow, I need to do well but I find The AS harder than A2. I have no idea what will come up.

Don't worry about it, just try to memorise as much as you can about the main processes and materials. I remember threading/tap-and-die came up as a big question last year so it's unlikely they'll have that again this year, and the same probably goes for vacuum forming and solar panels if I remember correctly :smile: (but you never know they could be sneaky and bring the same things up again)
Reply 12
Don't worry about it, just try to memorise as much as you can about the main processes and materials. I remember threading/tap-and-die came up as a big question last year so it's unlikely they'll have that again this year, and the same probably goes for vacuum forming and solar panels if I remember correctly :smile: (but you never know they could be sneaky and bring the same things up again)

Yeah that's true I'm just going to have to try to memorise as much as possible coz honestly it's impossible to know what is going to and not going to be in the test, I'll give you an update tmo afternoon on how it went hahaa fml
Reply 13
Original post by s-o-s
Yeah that's true I'm just going to have to try to memorise as much as possible coz honestly it's impossible to know what is going to and not going to be in the test, I'll give you an update tmo afternoon on how it went hahaa fml

Best of luck, you can do this!! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Best of luck, you can do this!! :biggrin:

right well I found it like meh.. the questions were all answerable, I didn't struggle with what they were about, however, they were like 10 mark questions for things that you literally cannot write 10 marks worth about, prob 4 max, so I just waffled and made things up so im just hoping for the best, I have another exam tmo morning so fml lol
Reply 15
Original post by s-o-s
right well I found it like meh.. the questions were all answerable, I didn't struggle with what they were about, however, they were like 10 mark questions for things that you literally cannot write 10 marks worth about, prob 4 max, so I just waffled and made things up so im just hoping for the best, I have another exam tmo morning so fml lol

That's annoying, really hate those kind of questions where it's just impossible to write enough points for the marks. Don't worry though I'm sure it went better than you feel it did, and good luck for whatever exam you have tomorrow :smile:
Reply 16
That's annoying, really hate those kind of questions where it's just impossible to write enough points for the marks. Don't worry though I'm sure it went better than you feel it did, and good luck for whatever exam you have tomorrow :smile:

hopefully anyone else who was doing the paper found it difficult too so im not just being silly and thank you !!
Hello I'm new to the student room, handed in my coursework on Monday my teacher thought 79/85 so as long as the board agrees I'm very happy 😀, I retook the AS on monday (got 1 mark of a C last year) and thought it was a bit of a stupid paper just that some questions plainly where not in the syllabus... Aluminium foam... Starting A2 revision today any tips? I think I'm going to go over past papers and build up my knowledge that way, how are you guys doing it?
Reply 18
Original post by Venus.18
Hello I'm new to the student room, handed in my coursework on Monday my teacher thought 79/85 so as long as the board agrees I'm very happy 😀, I retook the AS on monday (got 1 mark of a C last year) and thought it was a bit of a stupid paper just that some questions plainly where not in the syllabus... Aluminium foam... Starting A2 revision today any tips? I think I'm going to go over past papers and build up my knowledge that way, how are you guys doing it?

Hi! Well done on the coursework mark, but what's your exam board? (Edexcel is out of 90 not 85). As for revision, boring as it sounds I'm just going to read and condense the whole textbook then do past papers and try to learn the mark schemes to see exactly what they want to hear.
Reply 19
Original post by Venus.18

I think we may be on different exam boards or doing different retakes but mine was silly too like the questions you just couldn't elaborate on, and I was just going to do past papers but looking at Amanzhol's reply I might take some tips from them too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending