The Student Room Group

National Careers Service adviser LIVE on TSR tonight!

Hi!

National Careers Service adviser Tom here again to offer advice and information on all things careers, education and employment until 9pm!

Send me a message or post your thoughts here!
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi!

National Careers Service adviser Tom here again to offer advice and information on all things careers, education and employment until 9pm!

If I studied Medicine in university what would the minimum amount of years be? If I wanted to be a paramedic how many years in uni would I study for and could that degree apply to anything other than just being a paramedic?
Original post by A.Montgomery
If I studied Medicine in university what would the minimum amount of years be? If I wanted to be a paramedic how many years in uni would I study for and could that degree apply to anything other than just being a paramedic?

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Medicine is one of those degree subjects which will take a little longer than normal to complete, you’ll be looking at around 7 or 8 years’ worth of studies before becoming fully qualified.

In order to be a paramedic, you’ll be looking at around 3 years as a minimum for your university studies.

You’ll likely need to re-train in some form to look into moving your career to a different area but this might not necessary mean formal qualification like going back to university.

I’ve included the Job Profile page for a Paramedic below which might be useful as a starting point for you!

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/paramedic

Good luck!

Tom National Careers Service team.
Hi,

Medicine is one of those degree subjects which will take a little longer than normal to complete, you’ll be looking at around 7 or 8 years’ worth of studies before becoming fully qualified.

In order to be a paramedic, you’ll be looking at around 3 years as a minimum for your university studies.

You’ll likely need to re-train in some form to look into moving your career to a different area but this might not necessary mean formal qualification like going back to university.

I’ve included the Job Profile page for a Paramedic below which might be useful as a starting point for you!

Good luck!

Hello,

Was wondering if you had any general advice for job interviews?
I have my first ever job interview tomorrow however, it's on Skype.

Is it okay to ask them questions about the hours and general questions about the role? They haven't provided a great amount of detail in their advertisement :I

Thanks and hope you're having a good evening, :hugs:
Cheese
Hi,

Good luck!

Hello!

Thank you for the information, I feel like 7/8 years is way to long but 3 years seems okay. Do you think the pay is good for a paramedic or not worth it?

Also what extra training would you need to do?

Thanks
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hello,

Was wondering if you had any general advice for job interviews?
I have my first ever job interview tomorrow however, it's on Skype.

Is it okay to ask them questions about the hours and general questions about the role? They haven't provided a great amount of detail in their advertisement :I

Thanks and hope you're having a good evening, :hugs:
Cheese

Hi,

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your job interview!

Skype interviews are a little bit different from face to face interviews in that you aren’t in the same room but the main elements of the interview will be exactly the same.

There’s a lot of good information on the links below but I’ll also offer a little bit of advice here as well!

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/get-a-job/interview-advice

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/get-a-job/top-10-interview-questions

As it’s your first interview, it’s completely normal to be feeling a little nervous so it’s important to remember that everyone gets nervous before interviews and the interviewer will know that too!

Before the interview, have a look to see what information you can find out about the company itself lots of information should be available on their website which highlights things like company values or the different industries this company might be involved in. This will show the interview you have researched the company and are taking the interview seriously.

Before you answer any questions, take a deep breath to relax yourself before talking and take your time over your words lots of people tend to speak very fast when they’re nervous and run words and sentences into each other it might feel as if you’re speaking very slowly, but trust me, you won’t be!

Usually, the interviewer will ask you at the end if you have any questions and that’s a good time to ask about the various elements of the job. If you want to ask about hours, that’s great but try to think of a couple of questions which relate to your position within the company, or what the interviewer feels are the best parts about working in the company?

Every interview will be slightly different from each other but try to remember that the interview is also a two way-street the interviewer wants to know if you are the best person to work at their company but you also want to find out if the company will be the right fit for you as well!

If you wanted to speak with someone about it, we have advisers available right now and from 8am to 10pm every day that can talk through the different parts with you and hopefully give you a good bit of confidence to log on and nail it tomorrow! You can reach them on 0800 100 900 or visit https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home.

Best of luck and remember YOU GOT THIS!

Tom -National Careers Service team
Original post by A.Montgomery
Hello!

Thank you for the information, I feel like 7/8 years is way to long but 3 years seems okay. Do you think the pay is good for a paramedic or not worth it?

Also what extra training would you need to do?

Thanks

Hi,

The average salary for a paramedic is £40,040. A really useful way to compare average pay is to use a website which gives you Labour Market Information. One website which does this is LMI for all. You can compare statistical information about careers against each other or compare them against the national average. The link for this website is http://www.lmiforall.org.uk/widget/

With regard to the training you would need to move into a different career after being a paramedic this would be job specific depending on the career you moved into.

It might also be worthwhile to note that to become a paramedic, and in some cases to start training as one you would need a full manual drivers licence.

Good luck with everything!

Tom
Hi,

The average salary for a paramedic is £40,040. A really useful way to compare average pay is to use a website which gives you Labour Market Information. One website which does this is LMI for all. You can compare statistical information about careers against each other or compare them against the national average. The link for this website is http://www.lmiforall.org.uk/widget/

With regard to the training you would need to move into a different career after being a paramedic this would be job specific depending on the career you moved into.

It might also be worthwhile to note that to become a paramedic, and in some cases to start training as one you would need a full manual drivers licence.

Good luck with everything!

Tom

Thanks for all the information Tom! I definitely feel more informed!
Hi!

Thanks for your company tonight I’ll be back again in the morning but you can always give our advisers a call between 8am and 10pm on 0800 100 900 or visit https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Goodnight!
Is engineering for shy people
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tom123h456
Is engineering for shy people

Hi,

Thank you for your message, I’m going to guess that you feel you might be quite a shy person and so are looking to see whether or not a career in engineering would be suitable for you?

Engineering can cover a wide range of different job roles in different situations, some of them will certainly require you to have a social element to the job and have you interacting with people on a daily basis. Other engineering roles will require you to work independently for longer periods of time and be responsible for your own workload.

I would recommend doing so research into the different types of engineering roles which could be available and hopefully it can give you a better idea of what type of day to day tasks you might be expected to do. As a starting point, I would recommend having a look through the Job Profile pages on the website below:

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home

I hope this will help to begin with but feel free to get back in touch if you want to discuss anything else!

Thanks

Reply 11
Hi!

hi i have an interview on Saturday and i have received the questions the interviewer is going to ask me, i was wondering if you could help me answer them: i am doing a pharmacy apprenticeship
1: what skills can you bring to this role?
why have you applied to this role?
where do you see yourself in 5 years?
why are you looking to get into this career?
thankyou
Original post by fluff1
hi i have an interview on Saturday and i have received the questions the interviewer is going to ask me, i was wondering if you could help me answer them: i am doing a pharmacy apprenticeship
1: what skills can you bring to this role?
why have you applied to this role?
where do you see yourself in 5 years?
why are you looking to get into this career?
thankyou

HI there,

First of all, congratulations on getting an interview! Getting that far means that they must thing you're a suitable candidate, so that's a really positive sign. I'll try to address the questions one by one...

What skills can you bring to this role - for this one it's probably worth referring back to the person specification in the job advert, it should list the skills and qualities required, for each one, try to think of an example of when you've exhibited it, either in work, study or elsewhere. What they're really looking for here is that you understand what you're applying for and what it entails.

Why have you applied for this role - be honest! If it's an apprenticeship then they're most likely looking for someone who wants to learn, improve and progress and develop a long term career. For most people, the answer is to gain knowledge and experience to further my career, and that's fine, it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years - here they're looking ot see if you understand the bigger picture of the industry as a whole and where the role you're applying for could lead, so it's worth researching the organisation and learning about what else they do and what progression opportunities they offer. Again, be honest.

Why are you looking to get into this career - this is your chance to show your personal motivations, whatever they are, and get across how passionate you are about it. It's common that your answer for this will have some crossover with some of the other answers and that's totally fine, as long as it's genuine, that'll come across.

You might find this page on the Reed website useful, they cover some of those questions and have some other handy advice on interviews on there too... reed.co.uk/career-advice/common-interview-questions-and-answers

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, good luck for Saturday!

Thanks, Mark
Reply 13
HI there,

First of all, congratulations on getting an interview! Getting that far means that they must thing you're a suitable candidate, so that's a really positive sign. I'll try to address the questions one by one...

What skills can you bring to this role - for this one it's probably worth referring back to the person specification in the job advert, it should list the skills and qualities required, for each one, try to think of an example of when you've exhibited it, either in work, study or elsewhere. What they're really looking for here is that you understand what you're applying for and what it entails.

Why have you applied for this role - be honest! If it's an apprenticeship then they're most likely looking for someone who wants to learn, improve and progress and develop a long term career. For most people, the answer is to gain knowledge and experience to further my career, and that's fine, it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years - here they're looking ot see if you understand the bigger picture of the industry as a whole and where the role you're applying for could lead, so it's worth researching the organisation and learning about what else they do and what progression opportunities they offer. Again, be honest.

Why are you looking to get into this career - this is your chance to show your personal motivations, whatever they are, and get across how passionate you are about it. It's common that your answer for this will have some crossover with some of the other answers and that's totally fine, as long as it's genuine, that'll come across.

You might find this page on the Reed website useful, they cover some of those questions and have some other handy advice on interviews on there too... reed.co.uk/career-advice/common-interview-questions-and-answers

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, good luck for Saturday!

Thanks, Mark

thankyou you much for replying would i need to ask the employer a question at the end of the interview
Original post by fluff1
thankyou you much for replying would i need to ask the employer a question at the end of the interview

It's not a bad idea, it makes it look like you're interested in them and that you've been putting a lot of thought into working there. You could ask them about what opportunities for progression there are, what a typical day looks like and you can ask the interviewer what they like about working there. Again, researching the organisation and trying to think of a question that shows you've done some research will really impress them, for example, 'I read...on your website and I wanted to ask...'
Reply 15
It's not a bad idea, it makes it look like you're interested in them and that you've been putting a lot of thought into working there. You could ask them about what opportunities for progression there are, what a typical day looks like and you can ask the interviewer what they like about working there. Again, researching the organisation and trying to think of a question that shows you've done some research will really impress them, for example, 'I read...on your website and I wanted to ask...'

thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending