The Student Room Group

Which car?

Hi all

Ok so this September I am doing an access to HE in health and then next September hoping to start children nursing.

I have already passed my test and my grandfather said that if I pass my access and get into uni for next year then he will buy me a car , I'm very lucky to have him, he said he's doing it because he doesn't want me walking or using public transport at night he want to be sure I'm safe when I do my placements at the hospitals.

And I will be using my student finance maintenance loan to pay for petrol and insurance.

What I want help with is choosing which car I should go for.

I need the car to be good on motorways as all the unis near to me require you to go on the motorway to get there as do all the nearby hospitals. So it needs to be a reliable car.

It also needs to be cheap to insure since I will only have my maintenance loan to cover petrol and insurance.

I can only drive automatic

Any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaraGSD
Hi all

Ok so this September I am doing an access to HE in health and then next September hoping to start children nursing.

I have already passed my test and my grandfather said that if I pass my access and get into uni for next year then he will buy me a car , I'm very lucky to have him, he said he's doing it because he doesn't want me walking or using public transport at night he want to be sure I'm safe when I do my placements at the hospitals.

And I will be using my student finance maintenance loan to pay for petrol and insurance.

What I want help with is choosing which car I should go for.

I need the car to be good on motorways as all the unis near to me require you to go on the motorway to get there as do all the nearby hospitals. So it needs to be a reliable car.

It also needs to be cheap to insure since I will only have my maintenance loan to cover petrol and insurance.

I can only drive automatic

Any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Hi there, have you checked out the Audi A1 automatic? You can get it second hand and it saves you quite a bit on petrol. It's a good run around on the motorway too. If that's not applicable than I would suggest ford fiesta zetec automatic though petrol might be a bit costly for this car dependent upon the size of the engine.

I wish you all the best with everything. 😀.
Reply 2
What is your budget?
Reply 3
Original post by Jack210
What is your budget?

Hi my monthly budget to spend on a car is £600
Reply 4
If you mean budget to buy my grandfather said he will pay up to around £13000 for a new car, but I'm fine with pre used

My main priority is that the car is reliable and that it's cheapish to insure.
Original post by SaraGSD
Hi my monthly budget to spend on a car is £600

Have you tried the renault clio?
I would recommend a second hand ford focus or fiesta. Good reliable cars that can take on anything. Also reasonably cheap to run.
Sorry audi is for spares, not for driving
Reply 9
Original post by Michievious1
Have you tried the renault clio?

I just looked at the Clio and I like the look of it, I used there finance calculator and it said that if I put a £6300 deposit down it would only cost £80 a month on finance!!!! Could that be true? As a new fiesta was £211 a month

( My grandad paying out right but I like to just see how much it would cost on finance) if the Clio is only £80 then I could probably afford it myself and would rather him pay £6000 deposit then full outright.
Reply 10
Also on the Clio page there finance example says for a 3 year finance plan with £1624 deposit it would be £179 a month but I used the calculate now option on the £13500 model and put £6424 deposit in and it said either £77 or £80 a month. At 23000 miles.

And I built my own Clio and it would cost £13900
Reply 11
Original post by SaraGSD
Also on the Clio page there finance example says for a 3 year finance plan with £1624 deposit it would be £179 a month but I used the calculate now option on the £13500 model and put £6424 deposit in and it said either £77 or £80 a month. At 23000 miles.

And I built my own Clio and it would cost £13900

That'll be PCP, where there's a hefty balloon payment at the end.
Reliable = Japanese = Honda/Toyota.
car.jpg
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
That'll be PCP, where there's a hefty balloon payment at the end.

Yes it said the final payment would be £3000 but I could pay that , and it's the cheapest monthly deal I can find.

Original post by 1Hunnid
Reliable = Japanese = Honda/Toyota.

I like the Honda jazz. So I'm not sure which one I should go for the jazz or Clio, the Clio is cheaper?
Reply 15
I think I will be going with the Honda jazz as I prefer it to the Clio and it's got a better reliability score.

I did a few quotes for the jazz and Aviva was £193 a month or £2000 a year, and then most of the other qoutes were the same anywhere from £200-£250 a month , so not bad and within my budget.

So I will be going for the jazz and the se model is the best I can get in my budget.
Reply 16
I also did an insurance quote for a new ford fiesta and it said £232 a month , not bad but the Honda is cheaper.
Reply 17
If I'm being honest though the car I did really like was the DS 3 but I'm not sure if it is reliable or if it's cheap to insure. I will see what qoutes I get.
The Honda Jazz is deffo a very reliable car, I saw somewhere its the msot reliable car on the road
For £13,000, you can get yourself a really nice Audi A3 S line 1.6 diesel auto, with about 60-70k miles, Cheap road tax and VERY good fuel return. The 1.6 engines are bulletproof and the s tronic gearboxes are one of the best in the market. Just a thought. by the way these cars range from about 9000-13,000 so you dont have to spend the full amount.

Quick Reply

Latest