The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry GCSE paper 1 2018 unofficial mark scheme

Post any answers you can remember below

Scroll to see replies

For the lubrication of oil question,I talked about sacrificial protection and how that prevents/decreases rate of corrosion. Hydrogen test is self explanatory.The calculation answers I remember are(in no particular order):
168 tonnes
0.097 mol dm
65% (percentage yield)
93% (I got 90 at first but then i changed it so im not sure)-atom economy
Extract Calcium by electrolysis
2AL +6H+ ---- 2AL+3 + 3hydrogen gas
Drawing electrolysis and the oxygen gas and gas syringe
There are more but i can't remember everything
what about you?
Original post by Iloveyou2018
For the lubrication of oil question,I talked about sacrificial protection and how that prevents/decreases rate of corrosion. Hydrogen test is self explanatory.The calculation answers I remember are(in no particular order):
168 tonnes
0.097 mol dm
65% (percentage yield)
what about you?

Is it not that the lubrication prevents water from reacting and causing corrosion?
Original post by TheKurrydon99
Is it not that the lubrication prevents water from reacting and causing corrosion?

That's right, the oil isolates the water and its unreactive.
Water and oxygen are needed to casue the corrosion and oil stops both.
did you all get that the amount moles of the hydrogen atom is just avogadros constant?
Original post by ~MysteriousOne~
did you all get that the amount moles of the hydrogen atom is just avogadros constant?

What question was that? For the one that was like what is the weight of 1 hydrogen atom, I did 1/avogrados constant
Yea I meant weight, but why divide?
Original post by TheKurrydon99
What question was that? For the one that was like what is the weight of 1 hydrogen atom, I did 1/avogrados constant
Original post by ~MysteriousOne~
Yea I meant weight, but why divide?

Honestly, I didn't have enough time to look at it properly but the avogrados constant is a rlly big number so I knew it wasn't the mass of 1 atom coz. Then we were given the numbers 1 and avogrados constant and the only suitable operation is divide.
Reply 8
What was the answer of how you separate an impurity from crystals that’s all in a solution?
Original post by Tanban
What was the answer of how you separate an impurity from crystals that’s all in a solution?

you filter it first to remove solid particles then heat to crystalise then dry in dessicator
Reply 10
Original post by Student2018-2019
you filter it first to remove solid particles then heat to crystalise then dry in dessicator

I thought they were in the solution so you couldn’t just filter them out?
(edited 5 years ago)
lets all pray that the grade boundaries will be lowerrr 🙏
What did u guys get for the one where they scrape zinc off the metal and its in normal weather conditions?
Original post by Switch01
What did u guys get for the one where they scrape zinc off the metal and its in normal weather conditions?

I wasn't sure about that one, I just said the zinc acted as a sacrificial element so it reacted instead of the metal. Don't know if that is right or not.
Reply 14
What did you get for the very last question on the paper?
I'm freaking out as i think the ratio was 2;1 and i should have divided the answer!
If so does anyone remember if there were any more questions with 2;1 ratio or was there only 1 question? :frown::frown::frown:
Seem to be getting wound up by this question and not concentrate on the rest of the exams!!!!!!!:frown::frown:
i got 0.2 as the answer
Original post by PreyaPatel
What did you get for the very last questiion on the paper?
I'm freaking out as i think the ratio was 2;1 and i should have divided the answer!
If so does anyone remember if there were any more questions with 2;1 ratio or was there only 1 question? :frown::frown::frown:
Seem to be getting wound up by this question and not concentrate on the rest of the exams!!!!!!!:frown::frown:
i got 0.2 as the answer

One :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Mosope17
One :smile:

Hey thanks for replying

sorry so you are saying there was only 1 question with 2;1 ratio?

thank you - going mad lol
Original post by Iloveyou2018
168 tonnes
0.097 mol dm
65% (percentage yield)
what about you?

wasn't it 94dm as you had to divide cm by 1000 to get dm
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the Chemistry Exams forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:
For the biology mitosis one, did you guys put B? I'm pretty sure it is because Q is metaphase and R is when they are all together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending