The Student Room Group

Gcse options

Hey everyone,
So I have to hand in my options for GCSE tomorrow and these are my subjects that I've chosen:

Core Subjects:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
RS
Double Science

Choice Subjects:
Geography
French
Spanish
Psychology

Obviously they're academic subjects and I feel like not having a creative subject such as Art will make me very tired of the workload however I don't want to give up a language for a creative subject as I may regret it and I'm more interested in languages. Also would doing two languages at GCSE (considering the new spec) be hard? And what is Psychology like as many Year 10's say it's very interesting and worth taking.

Sorry for the load of questions. Also I don't know about a career at the moment so I'm trying to keep my options open. Any opinions and answers will be appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I do spanish and it is alright I mean u might get confused sometiems but I'm sure you won't let me know if u need anything x
Reply 2
Original post by 11 year revise
I do spanish and it is alright I mean u might get confused sometiems but I'm sure you won't let me know if u need anything x

Thanks for replying! I'm doing French at the moment and Spanish will be new to me. Is there anything specifically difficult (e.g listening, speaking etc.) and will it be an easy transition from KS3 to GCSE considering I've not done it properly before? Thanks.
Don't take a creative subject if you don't really want to / feel like you have to as they are alot of work.

I got my options back a couple of days ago and got French, computer science, triple science and design technology (all my first choices :P)

You'll probably be fine if you put in the work / if you are good at languages / enjoy them then
Hiya!

I think that sounds like a really sensible mix. Doing Art might actually increase the workload due to the huge amounts of coursework involved, so keep your languages if you're keen on them!

The transition from KS3 to GCSE isn't massive, but you might struggle initially with listenings. I can only speak from doing old spec Spanish but I personally really enjoyed the GCSE and have found it useful since. Two languages should be okay, it's not uncommon for people to do more than one at GCSE and as long as you're prepared to maybe sometimes mix them up and find ways to cope with that (you might not mix them up though, my friend never did, though it had an impact on the quality of her accents.)

I do A Level Psychology and I really like that, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it at GCSE level if you have an interest in it.

Izz :smile:
Original post by empathizing
Thanks for replying! I'm doing French at the moment and Spanish will be new to me. Is there anything specifically difficult (e.g listening, speaking etc.) and will it be an easy transition from KS3 to GCSE considering I've not done it properly before? Thanks.

Spanish is similar to French nothing is really difficult in year 7 spanish was new to me and I am now in year 11 and swing it for my GCSE
Don't feel pressured into taking a creative/ practical subject. One of my GCSE options was food tech; I absolutely regretted taking it, I wished I took history instead. The main reason why I took food tech was because I thought it would be easy going and chill. It ironically turned out to be my most stressful GCSE subject due to the extreme volume of coursework required (first year: 8,000 word coursework project, 2nd year: over 15,000 project which I had to write in a month because i had a terrible teacher who kept on putting off the practical exam).
I did the A*-G WJEC course so it might be different so don't be too deterred. Bottom line is that practical subjects aren't necessary in GCSE and I would have actually personally benefited from taking something like history instead. GCSE options don't matter like A-levels do so don't worry, do what you want to do.
Reply 7
hey everyone,
so i have to hand in my options for gcse tomorrow and these are my subjects that i've chosen:

Core subjects:
Maths
english language
english literature
rs
double science

choice subjects:
Geography
french
spanish
psychology

obviously they're academic subjects and i feel like not having a creative subject such as art will make me very tired of the workload however i don't want to give up a language for a creative subject as i may regret it and i'm more interested in languages. Also would doing two languages at gcse (considering the new spec) be hard? And what is psychology like as many year 10's say it's very interesting and worth taking.

Sorry for the load of questions. Also i don't know about a career at the moment so i'm trying to keep my options open. Any opinions and answers will be appreciated! Thanks :smile:

avoid languages at all cost! Especially since the new spec has started!b its really hard and majority of the people are doing foundation
Reply 8
Original post by Bill Nye
Don't take a creative subject if you don't really want to / feel like you have to as they are alot of work.

I got my options back a couple of days ago and got French, computer science, triple science and design technology (all my first choices :P)

You'll probably be fine if you put in the work / if you are good at languages / enjoy them then

Yes I do enjoy languages and I just felt as if I really needed to have a creative subject because of the workload with the subjects I chose. Thanks :smile:
Yes I do enjoy languages and I just felt as if I really needed to have a creative subject because of the workload with the subjects I chose. Thanks :smile:

Academic subjects have more content but creative subjects have a higher workload.
Original post by a mind at work
Hiya!

I think that sounds like a really sensible mix. Doing Art might actually increase the workload due to the huge amounts of coursework involved, so keep your languages if you're keen on them!

The transition from KS3 to GCSE isn't massive, but you might struggle initially with listenings. I can only speak from doing old spec Spanish but I personally really enjoyed the GCSE and have found it useful since. Two languages should be okay, it's not uncommon for people to do more than one at GCSE and as long as you're prepared to maybe sometimes mix them up and find ways to cope with that (you might not mix them up though, my friend never did, though it had an impact on the quality of her accents.)

I do A Level Psychology and I really like that, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it at GCSE level if you have an interest in it.

Izz :smile:

I've heard that Spanish listenings are hard because of how fast they talk haha. I do have an interest in Psychology because it's something new and I think I might enjoy it. Thanks :smile:
Original post by 11 year revise
Spanish is similar to French nothing is really difficult in year 7 spanish was new to me and I am now in year 11 and swing it for my GCSE

Same with me for French, I'm finding it very straightforward since I've been doing it from Year 7
Original post by MysticPancakes
Don't feel pressured into taking a creative/ practical subject. One of my GCSE options was food tech; I absolutely regretted taking it, I wished I took history instead. The main reason why I took food tech was because I thought it would be easy going and chill. It ironically turned out to be my most stressful GCSE subject due to the extreme volume of coursework required (first year: 8,000 word coursework project, 2nd year: over 15,000 project which I had to write in a month because i had a terrible teacher who kept on putting off the practical exam).
I did the A*-G WJEC course so it might be different so don't be too deterred. Bottom line is that practical subjects aren't necessary in GCSE and I would have actually personally benefited from taking something like history instead. GCSE options don't matter like A-levels do so don't worry, do what you want to do.

Thanks for the reassurance. Some of my friends are taking Art as a creative subject because they feel the need to have a practical/creative subject to balance the workload and because it looks 'good' to colleges or employers idk :/
I've heard that Spanish listenings are hard because of how fast they talk haha. I do have an interest in Psychology because it's something new and I think I might enjoy it. Thanks :smile:

No worries!! And yeah I'd say that's true, but you'll definitely get used to it and you can also use Spanish podcasts and radio stations to help get your brain used to listening to Spanish. (:
Thanks for the reassurance. Some of my friends are taking Art as a creative subject because they feel the need to have a practical/creative subject to balance the workload and because it looks 'good' to colleges or employers idk :/

Honestly, don't bother caring about the range in your choices. If you are passionate about arty subjects then take it, if not take more academic choices. Don't let anyone scare you into taking something you don't want to. At the end of the day, universities and employers don't care about the range of your GCSE choices, only that you did as well as possible in them. It matters only in A level what subjects you take. Just do the subjects you want to do for GCSE. I wish that I was told the same thing, as I was also concerned about not having enough range in my options. Looking back at it, it dosen't matter AT ALL (unless you want to continue one of your options for A level). Employers and unis don't care about it. At the end of the day what matters is what you want and what you think you will do best in.
I took french and was considering taking German too but now I'm halfway I'm glad I didn't. it depends on whether you actually want to take a 2nd language, if you do then it'll be easier to handle the workload cause you'll want to do it. for me I was only going to take it to fill up an option and I'm glad I didn't.
Original post by mscully
I took french and was considering taking German too but now I'm halfway I'm glad I didn't. it depends on whether you actually want to take a 2nd language, if you do then it'll be easier to handle the workload cause you'll want to do it. for me I was only going to take it to fill up an option and I'm glad I didn't.

Languages come naturally to me and honestly I don't think there's anything else in the option block that I would choose and be willing to put the work in lol
Languages come naturally to me and honestly I don't think there's anything else in the option block that I would choose and be willing to put the work in lol

then go for it! I'm sure you'll do fine whatever you choose
Original post by MysticPancakes
Honestly, don't bother caring about the range in your choices. If you are passionate about arty subjects then take it, if not take more academic choices. Don't let anyone scare you into taking something you don't want to. At the end of the day, universities and employers don't care about the range of your GCSE choices, only that you did as well as possible in them. It matters only in A level what subjects you take. Just do the subjects you want to do for GCSE. I wish that I was told the same thing, as I was also concerned about not having enough range in my options. Looking back at it, it dosen't matter AT ALL (unless you want to continue one of your options for A level). Employers and unis don't care about it. At the end of the day what matters is what you want and what you think you will do best in.

Thanks so much :biggrin: I'm willing to put in the work for my subjects because I know I enjoy them.
Reply 19
Just saying the amount you have to remember for languages is quite a lot and can be quite a pain when you want to focus on core subjects. Only do it if you're really interested or passionate about it and wanting to study further after gcses, don't if you want to look academic or following that Ebac stuff since they don't don't bat an eye about option choices when applying for a levels (unless you want to study that option choice). I did Spanish GCSE and did well, got an A, but honestly i regret taking it as it was just remembering stuff and not actually speaking the language, which i thought was the main aim when picking Spanish. Also I've heard the new gcses are a lot harder...

Quick Reply

Latest