The Student Room Group

Is it okay to play violin during Ramadan?

I have a friend who takes Music as a GCSE, and she's studying the violin. Ramadan is here, and she doesn't know if it's okay to carry on with it.

They go to the Music class after school, but she doesn't know if she should go or not.

Is it okay?

Scroll to see replies

Don't think sure. Worth checking
Why does she think it's okay for the rest of the year but questionable during Ramadan :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by orderofthelotus
Why does she think it's okay for the rest of the year but questionable during Ramadan :s-smilie:

In Ramadan we're not allowed to listen to Music.
Original post by Cod3tte
In Ramadan we're not allowed to listen to Music.

Why just Ramadan?
Reply 5
Why just Ramadan?

It's about discipline. Forgetting all our privileges and thinking of those who are not as fortunate as us.
Reply 6
Original post by Kian Stevens
Are you allowed to breathe during Ramadan?

Yes, what kind of a question is that?

I came here looking for answers, not smart remarks.

In islam its not allowed to listen to music but people still do anyway such as myself. Ramadan is a holy month so people try and refrain from doing bad deeds. Its a time where we connect with God and try and become a better person. Thats why in Ramadan people make a big deal than they normally do. But yh its better if she tries not to. Hope that made you understand it a little better :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
:lol:

Run along child.

You've made it clear you don't like Islam. So just leave it alone, do you feed on hatred for others or something?
Original post by Cod3tte
Run along child.

You've made it clear you don't like Islam. So just leave it alone, do you feed on hatred for others or something?

lol you did not just tell PC to "Run along child"

This is going to be fun. :congrats:
Reply 10
Original post by RickHendricks
lol you did not just tell PC to "Run along child"

This is going to be fun. :congrats:

He's the one who came on to my post, if he doesn't like Islam leave it alone. I don't like a lot of things, but I don't go bashing them in 24/7.
Original post by Cod3tte
He's the one who came on to my post, if he doesn't like Islam leave it alone. I don't like a lot of things, but I don't go bashing them in 24/7.

You never stated "only muslims".
Reply 12
maybe you shouldn't have asked a stupid question. You never stated "only muslims".

I asked a reasonable question.

Nobody asked him to come one here, and I never said non-muslims cannot come on here, anybody is welcome as long as they are helpful towards my question. He is clearly not.
Reply 13
Original post by Cod3tte
It's about discipline. Forgetting all our privileges and thinking of those who are not as fortunate as us.

Music is a discipline, isn't it?
Reply 14
Original post by Sinnoh
Music is a discipline, isn't it?

Music is a privilege that much of us take for granted.
When it is gone we miss it, like I am now.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Original post by Cod3tte
I asked a reasonable question.

Nobody asked him to come one here, and I never said non-muslims cannot come on here, anybody is welcome as long as they are helpful towards my question. He is clearly not.

oh please.

You asked whether or not a person is allowed to continue on with their education to satisfy the needs of their religion. You see how stupid that question sounds? Why don't you let your friend choose. If she cares more about religion, she will choose to not play it, if not (which she obviously is), she won't.
Reply 16
oh please.

You asked whether or not a person is allowed to continue on with their education to satisfy the needs of their religion. You see how stupid that question sounds? Why don't you let your friend choose. If she cares more about religion, she will choose to not play it, if not (which she obviously is), she won't.

What do you mean by "if she obviously is"? Do you know her?

And as a Muslim and a friend it is my job to give her advice.
I would have thought working towards education is the more important thing and the higher good here. Not Muslim myself but I'm pretty sure there's a Hadeeth along the lines of ""The best form of worship is the pursuit of knowledge" :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cod3tte
What do you mean by "if she obviously is"? Do you know her?

And as a Muslim and a friend it is my job to give her advice.

go ahead, not my business to tell you otherwise.

But if you ask stupid questions, be advised to expect stupid answers.
Original post by Cod3tte
Yes, what kind of a question is that?

I came here looking for answers, not smart remarks.

You said that Ramadan is where we think of those who aren't as fortunate as us. Unfortunately, some people can't breathe.

By the way, saying that people 'don't like Islam' with no proof behind your statement is rather pathetic.

Honestly, you can't eat and drink during Ramadan and now you can't listen to music? I think I'll pass...
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest