The Student Room Group

Chemistry question

I believe this was a 2 or 3 marker In my exam today.
Basically it asked us to write a balanced symbol equation for the reaction of propane combustion.
I wrote the unsimplified balanced equation :
2c3h8 + 10o2 -> 6CO2 + 8H2O
when I could’ve (but didn’t have enough time to as I prematurely wrote it in answer box) divided this by 2. Would I lose any marks?
Reply 1
Original post by stoneroses2828
I believe this was a 2 or 3 marker In my exam today.
Basically it asked us to write a balanced symbol equation for the reaction of propane combustion.
I wrote the unsimplified balanced equation :
2c3h8 + 10o2 -> 6CO2 + 8H2O
when I could’ve (but didn’t have enough time to as I prematurely wrote it in answer box) divided this by 2. Would I lose any marks?

Bump. Starting to worry
I highly doubt you'd lose marks. The mark schemes allow multiples for balanced equations, but only if your equation is actually right (which it is, so kudos!)

Don't forget that a balanced equation is always chemically equivalent, so no matter how many multiples you have in it, it will always be the same equation - your unsimplified equation will be chemically equivalent to the simplified one.

No need to worry man! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kian Stevens
I highly doubt you'd lose marks. The mark schemes allow multiples for balanced equations, but only if your equation is actually right (which it is, so kudos!)

Don't forget that a balanced equation is always chemically equivalent, so no matter how many multiples you have in it, it will always be the same equation - your unsimplified equation will be chemically equivalent to the simplified one.

No need to worry man! :smile:

Thanks so much, just didn’t want to drop any unnecessary marks!

Quick Reply

Latest