The Student Room Group

I have to cover biology paper 1 in just over a week.

We recently found out we have upcoming mocks in all our subjects.
Our first is on 25th May 2018 and it's biology.
We've been studying paper 2 all year yet the test is on paper 1.
Apparently we've supposed to have done paper 1 content last year, but we didn't because we never had a stable teacher and supply teachers until the last term which was about 4 weeks.
This isn't just for biology it's for all the sciences and I'm really stressed about it.
What can I do?
revise??
Reply 2
Original post by jamesgillian123
revise??

I'm trying my hardest there's just so much content, any tips on how?
Original post by Cod3tte

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+revise+effectively
If you still have time, get a CGP/Collins textbook and literally learn everything.
Or you could watch lots of videos from the 'freesciencelessons' channel, cause that guy is a g, and has literally done loads of videos on every science, whilst making it actually easy to understand.
Reply 5
Original post by Cod3tte
Apparently we've supposed to have done paper 1 content last year, but we didn't because we never had a stable teacher and supply teachers until the last term which was about 4 weeks.
This isn't just for biology it's for all the sciences and I'm really stressed about it.
What can I do?

Big whoop, I revised the whole of the first biology paper in 5 days for my actual GCSE
Original post by stoneroses2828
Big whoop, I revised the whole of the first biology paper in 5 days for my actual GCSE

Did ths same in less than a day and got lucky only the topics i revised came up hopefully at least 90% 😂😂😭
They’re mocks, chiiiiill. Don’t stress.
Original post by Cod3tte
What can I do?

Here's what i did as last minute revision (that paid off)
1) i made flash cards on required practicals
2) wrote summary notes on each topic if u have a CGP revision book its easier to do
3) did application questions only on stuff i did not understand
4) made a list of all formulae needed and crammed it

hope this helps
Reply 9
Original post by Cod3tte
What can I do?

Watch Primrose Kitten's biology paper 1 overview (just over an hour). Whilst watching, take notes on things you don't get.... Then go to freesciencelessons and watch his videos on those specific topics
Original post by Cod3tte
What can I do?

Try doing it at A-level, there's literally like 20x the content.

Print the spec off and make nice condensed bullet pointed notes. Or use freesciencelessons, he's good.
Original post by Cod3tte

do this for revising formulae, or general topics

1) get a piece of paper and for example you are revising to topic of stem cells
2) write out everything you know about it
3) then in a different colour pen write all the things u missed out and try again

It's tedious but it helps especially for revising formulas like
carbon dioxide + water ==> glucose + oxygen
Make flash cards of key concepts. Buy the textbook and answer the questions in it.
Reply 13
It's defo gonna be questions from either savemyexams or physics and maths tutor. Go over the markscheme, and if u don't understand read over the textbook or watch a freegcsescience video. That guy is a don!
But it seems like ur in year 10, relax it's year 10 they don't give a **** unless u get a C or less. Even if you get low it is a god thing, teachers will focus on you at times, and you will defo do good in the end!!
Seriously enjoy the time u have and train your brain to recall ****, develop a skill, playing music or go to a club. Year 10 does not matter!!
Final advice: Go over everything quick, do the exams, when u get it back just look at the topics u lost marks on and work on them. Good luck1
Original post by Cod3tte
What can I do?

use this : https://senecalearning.com/ and apparently learn 2x faster
Reply 15
The way I revised for my GCSE biology (which was on Tuesday 16th May 2018) was I got the CGP Textbook and looked at what sections of the textbook covered each paper (Sections 1-5 for Paper 1 Biology). So, I got the most important parts from each page from sections 1-5 and copied it. I know this is hard work and maybe a bit of a long route, but it worked a treat for me and so I feel really confident about my Biology paper 1. Here it is by the way: https://imageshack.com/a/WXel/1

Quick Reply

Latest