The Student Room Group

is mechanical engineering a good degree?

if your interedted then go for it! do what intersts you most
Lool your quite active on TSR tosay, literally seeing you inevery post. Im considering MCEng or Civil
Reply 3
Original post by tom123h456

It is if you want to be a mechanical engineer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
It is if you want to be a mechanical engineer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No **** sherlock
Reply 5
No **** sherlock

The question merits that answer. Especially when you've already been researching lots of universities to study MechEng at.

If you are interested in mechanical engineering then it's a good degree. If you aren't then you won't enjoy it. It's really as simple as that...

Have you signed up for any tasters or masterclasses to give you some idea of what the course involves?

eg. https://london.ac.uk/mechanical-and-aeronautics-engineering-taster-session-cu4659
but other universities offer these too.

Or this book...

Engineering: A Beginner's Guide
by Natasha McCarthy
Published by Oneworld Publications, 2009
ISBN: 1851686622
Reply 6
The question merits that answer. Especially when you've already been researching lots of universities to study MechEng at.

If you are interested in mechanical engineering then it's a good degree. If you aren't then you won't enjoy it. It's really as simple as that...

Have you signed up for any tasters or masterclasses to give you some idea of what the course involves?

eg. https://london.ac.uk/mechanical-and-aeronautics-engineering-taster-session-cu4659
but other universities offer these too.

Or this book...

Engineering: A Beginner's Guide
by Natasha McCarthy
Published by Oneworld Publications, 2009
ISBN: 1851686622

This is a much more useful answer. Thank you
Reply 7
This is a much more useful answer. Thank you

Why do *you* want to study engineering at all? You need to research potential courses before you start researching potential universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zainabxxo
Lool your quite active on TSR tosay, literally seeing you inevery post. Im considering MCEng or Civil

If you have any questions about civil please do fire away, 2nd year student here.
Is it very challenging cuz im considering doing engineering as a career options but i dont know which field would be suitable for me.
Original post by Vikingninja
If you have any questions about civil please do fire away, 2nd year student here.
Mechanical engineering had its moment, but its dimming down now. The best engineering you can get into now is software engineering, with the advent of AI, Cyber warfare and new technology; software engineering is the best way to go.

Try to get into software engineering.
No **** sherlock

Given the number of students on my previous engineering course (including myself) who didn't actually want to be an engineer and just sort of arbitrarily picked it because it was reputable and we were "good" at science and maths, it's a valid point. If you just want to go into banking for example, there are easier degrees to do so with (that is, easier to earn the degree - I haven't gotten the impression subject makes a great deal of difference compared to awarding institution). Equally if you have no idea what you want to do and are hoping it will hedge your bets, it would be better to choose a course based on what you enjoy most and are most interested in currently and just go from there.

It's also a somewhat odd question to be asking after so many other threads and comments about applying to it already - are you having second thoughts, or did you choose it for slightly more arbitrary reasons and want validation of those? A brief survey suggests you could apply to any engineering or physical science discipline (as well as most social science and humanities courses) - why do you want to pursue engineering rather than the sciences, and why mechanical engineering rather than another branch? If you are able to convincingly answer these questions for yourself and others, then it's probably a good choice. If not then you may want to consider some of those other courses as well.
Why do *you* want to study engineering at all? You need to research potential courses before you start researching potential universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea what I want to do. I'm good at maths and science.
Reply 13
I have no idea what I want to do. I'm good at maths and science.

Then take a gap year and have a think. There's no rule that says you have to go to university straight after school (or at all, for that matter).

And try some university tasters/masterclasses in different subject areas and see what interests you.
Original post by Vikingninja

Really? Thats great! I wanted to ask how you find it, like what do your modules consist of and also how much practical and theory aspects are involved?

Quick Reply

Latest