The Student Room Group

I Just Finished First Year Law || AMA

I've never done one of these AMA's but I've benefited from a lot of AMA's that I have read. I think it's time to give back to everyone.

I've just finished my first year of studying Law at the University of Kent. I have two brilliant years to go and I look forward to them. My coursework average is a 72 and my exams are all done - hopefully this average can be maintained!

I know for a fact that there are a lot of students, or upcoming students who are nervous about starting a law degree, or starting university in general. So you're all welcome to ask me anything you want about law, my first years, what you can expect or just anything you want and I'll be glad to answer it.

Thank you! I look forward to talking to as many of you as possible.

Scroll to see replies

so when you start a new yoghurt, do you, like, lick the lid ?
Good luck finding a job when you graduate.
Original post by the bear
so when you start a new yoghurt, do you, like, lick the lid ?

If I'm having a yogurt in public I do it very, very discretely! Haha

Original post by frabgas27
Good luck finding a job when you graduate.

I have no intention going into law anymore - it's a huge shame because I wanted to for years, but it seems winds have changed for me. I want to go into teaching but I absolutely love the subject and hope to possibly do a masters and maybe a PhD afterwards - I've got a lot of doors open and I want to look into every possibility.
What a levels did you do? What grades did you get for them? Was kent your firm?
Original post by MajorFader
What a levels did you do? What grades did you get for them? Was kent your firm?

I did Law, Classics and Economics at A Level. I got a BCD at A Level.
Kent was my firm for the LLB course but I was invited to go on their certificate programme which gives you direct entry into the second stage. Certificate is the same as first year LLB except we get an extra seminar.
Amazing thread - thank you :woo: :biggrin: Just moved it so it shows in University life and Law :yep:
Reply 7
congrats! what's your secret for getting a first?
What modules did you do in your first year? Which did you enjoy most?

How were your exams?
How many hours of study do you do a week?
Thanks
Biggest piece of advice for a 2018 law fresher?
Original post by LegallyMinded
If I'm having a yogurt in public I do it very, very discretely! Haha

Discretely? What, you don't eat the yoghurt and the little pot of chocolatey goodness together? Heathen.

I have no intention going into law anymore - it's a huge shame because I wanted to for years, but it seems winds have changed for me. I want to go into teaching but I absolutely love the subject and hope to possibly do a masters and maybe a PhD afterwards - I've got a lot of doors open and I want to look into every possibility.

Another one bites the dust. I think the same advice goes: practice does not tell you how much you enjoy academic law and academic law tells you not one bit how you'll enjoy practice.
Will say one thing. That 100k a year ain't too bad! I give a "yes please" to that.

Academia is not all it's cracked up to be if you're on a not-so-good course and you're tied to teaching.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've never done one of these AMA's but I've benefited from a lot of AMA's that I have read. I think it's time to give back to everyone.

I've just finished my first year of studying Law at the University of Kent. I have two brilliant years to go and I look forward to them. My coursework average is a 72 and my exams are all done - hopefully this average can be maintained!

I know for a fact that there are a lot of students, or upcoming students who are nervous about starting a law degree, or starting university in general. So you're all welcome to ask me anything you want about law, my first years, what you can expect or just anything you want and I'll be glad to answer it.

Thank you! I look forward to talking to as many of you as possible.

I'm thinking of studying law in a few years and want to start preparing for my degree now as I am a very slow learner.
Can you recommend any good textbooks? Do the research papers and cases change over the years and between different professors?
Sorry all - been relaxing all week now that my exams are done! I'll get to everyone's questions now:

Original post by Joleee
congrats! what's your secret for getting a first?

Start your assignments the day they are given to you. Find resources way in advance and begin checking them for any relevant content. It depends on the module too. Follow whatever is said in your module outlines and make it obvious that you've met the criteria.
Learn your university referencing style. It takes some time but once you get the hang of it you won't be spending 90% of essays figuring out how to reference that book chapter (I'd also recommend referencing in advance, having a separate word doc for all of your references so you can just paste them in when needed).

Original post by Insecable
What modules did you do in your first year? Which did you enjoy most?

How were your exams?

This year I took (all mandatory): Introduction to Obligations (Tort/Contract basics) , Critical Introduction to Law , Foundations of Property (Land Law basics) , Criminal Law , Public Law 1, English Legal Systems & Skills , Performing Effectively in Law.

I particularly enjoyed Public Law the most. Now, most of my friends would hit me for this but it's the most interesting and eye opening module in my opinion given that the law could just change at any moment - look at Brexit! It's so interesting how public law has developed since the Brexit referendum.
In terms of my exams - I'm very confident! I enjoyed answering the questions in the criminal and public law exams. For the property exam I wasn't so confident but I'm very happy that the paper was somewhat easy (thanking the module convener for changing the exam format this year).

Original post by Yoshi123456
How many hours of study do you do a week?
Thanks

For non-exam related study, I spend 2-3 hours a week per module. This involves doing the seminar prep and going over older course content to keep it in my mind so I can try and link it all together for modules like public law.

For assignment related study, I spend 2-3 hours a week per module but on the module of the assignment, double that to 6 hours.

For exams, I do 6 hours per module per week, so an hour a day. I only had 3 exams this year and this worked for me.

Original post by 04MR17
Biggest piece of advice for a 2018 law fresher?

Do not treat your first year as a year to get drunk and have a laugh - sure, have a few drinks but not excessively. Take this year as serious as any other year, and do not think it's like school - your seminar leaders and lecturers will not chase you up for assignments. Attend events in your first year - so recruitment events, just to get into contact with firms. Attend mooting if your university has mooting, if you end up participating in a moot you'll enhance your advocacy skills.

Original post by Mayavalentine
I'm thinking of studying law in a few years and want to start preparing for my degree now as I am a very slow learner.
Can you recommend any good textbooks? Do the research papers and cases change over the years and between different professors?

If you're still in school now I'd suggest finishing school before reading textbooks and papers and then focusing over the summer before by looking over textbooks.
Reading depends on the university and the course, same with papers. Cases will always change - I mean, look at the Ghosh test that was overruled in the civil court by Ivey - nobody really knows what to do in the criminal courts about this so expect changes to happen.

I can recommend reading 'Public Law' by Le Seuer, Sunkin and Murkens, 'Criminal Law' by Herring for Public Law and Criminal Law. I'd be able to help a lot more if you were currently at university or had a place for next year. If you need anymore help just send me a DM and I'll gladly help more :smile:
How's the faculty at Kent? Any particular thing you might like or dislike about them or their teaching style?
Did you take up any extra curriculars or a part time job in the period of your first year?
Original post by abhinair3004
How's the faculty at Kent? Any particular thing you might like or dislike about them or their teaching style?
Did you take up any extra curriculars or a part time job in the period of your first year?

I absolutely love Kent Law School. It's set up great and there's always someone to help or to talk to. I love the teaching style for most of the modules although one module: "Critical Introduction to Law" did cause a few issues for me - I loved the lecturer but my seminar leader was ridiculously biased, and quite rude - in fact I had a verbal altercation with them on one occasion when they pushed me past my limit and this module is *much* lower than my average (I'm appealing both of my marks though to ensure it's correct, I'm not bothered if it's not changed though). The teaching style for Critical Intro is basically: go to the lecture and just pray you can understand what was discussed - it was a messy module and if you're not one for experimenting or coming up with creative ideas for an essay then KLS isn't for you in my opinion. (Although I'd highly recommend ANYONE to attend this university if they're struggling to decide on where to go)

Yes, I took up some extra curricular activities - I started off by going to the Model United Nations but I didn't enjoy the society as much towards the end of the first term so I joined the K-Pop Dance Society, literally out of curiosity as I've heard K-Pop a few times and enjoyed listening to it. Next thing you know I'm the social secretary for the 2018/19 committee.
I didn't have a part time job for first year although I got one last month - it's difficult to get jobs in Canterbury believe it or not even though MANY vacancies are advertised.
I absolutely love Kent Law School. It's set up great and there's always someone to help or to talk to. I love the teaching style for most of the modules although one module: "Critical Introduction to Law" did cause a few issues for me - I loved the lecturer but my seminar leader was ridiculously biased, and quite rude - in fact I had a verbal altercation with them on one occasion when they pushed me past my limit and this module is *much* lower than my average (I'm appealing both of my marks though to ensure it's correct, I'm not bothered if it's not changed though). The teaching style for Critical Intro is basically: go to the lecture and just pray you can understand what was discussed - it was a messy module and if you're not one for experimenting or coming up with creative ideas for an essay then KLS isn't for you in my opinion. (Although I'd highly recommend ANYONE to attend this university if they're struggling to decide on where to go)

Yes, I took up some extra curricular activities - I started off by going to the Model United Nations but I didn't enjoy the society as much towards the end of the first term so I joined the K-Pop Dance Society, literally out of curiosity as I've heard K-Pop a few times and enjoyed listening to it. Next thing you know I'm the social secretary for the 2018/19 committee.
I didn't have a part time job for first year although I got one last month - it's difficult to get jobs in Canterbury believe it or not even though MANY vacancies are advertised.

Thanks a ton.
How is the Kent Law Fair? Does it attract a lot of large firms?
Also , how's the social scene at Kent?
Original post by abhinair3004
Thanks a ton.
How is the Kent Law Fair? Does it attract a lot of large firms?
Also , how's the social scene at Kent?

I didn't go to the law fair because I don't have an interest in going into law anymore but from what my friends have said they enjoyed attending. They have a lot of talks about city law firms and how to make the most out of an application. Hopefully this helps.

There's a lot of socials to do at Kent whether it be going to Venue (which is trash IMO), going to one of the various bars and restaurants or attending society socials. There's a lot of clubs in Canterbury and there are also 2 'spoons (one refurbished recently). Not really a big social person so haven't got full information on everything.
Hi, I wanted to know when you are asked to pick your optional modules, so for example if it's at the beginning of the semester in your first year (for all the modules including third year ones) and whether they allow you to change them at all??

Also how difficult is it to keep up with the workload and balance your social life/part time job?? I am aware that you are asked to read cases/statues before the seminars but I am a veryyyyy slow reader lol.
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending