The Student Room Group

applying to canadian universities with a levels?

I'm planning on applying to some canadian universities as well as uk ones, but I'm not really sure how the application process works? And the staff at my school are only familiar with ucas so they aren't going to be helpful with this. All I know so far is that you apply directly to the uni, like the us, except for universities in ontario where you apply through ouac. But I'm pretty sure there are interviews and such at some unis, like ubc because my friend got one but she lives in canada, so how would that work if I were to apply individually. Anyways, I guess what I really want right now is if someone has gone through or is familiar with the canadian uni application process to just share what they know about is, especially for an a level student like me
Reply 1
i'm a canadian studying in the UK so going the opposite direction. lol

i found this link, see if it helps.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/international/study-in-canada

you're right, there's no central application system in canada, also, when i moved here i found a company in Toronto that helps canadian students apply to UK universities. maybe google to see if there's one going the opposite way?

which cities you thinking? i've lived in 4 major cities, i can maybe tell where to avoid.
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee

you're right, there's no central application system in canada, also, when i moved here i found a company in Toronto that helps canadian students apply to UK universities. maybe google to see if there's one going the opposite way?

which cities you thinking? i've lived in 4 major cities, i can maybe tell where to avoid.

Hi i've already applied for universities locally (UK) but i've always wanted to study abroad so i'm curious on what to avoid if I decide to changes my mind and apply for university again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Joleee

I'm looking at ubc and university if toronto, possibly mcgill but I don't really know about their engineering programs?? And also maybe simon fraser
Reply 4
imho, it would only be worth it if you could study in the vancouver area or toronto area (or montreal but i'm not sure how french it is; mind you a friend from class is studying in montreal for a year so it can't be impossibly french).

bearing in mind these are the most expensive cities. vancouver is good if you like outdoors stuff (you have the mountains). i lived in toronto for two years. to be honest it wasn't my favourite city (but i also just came from living in sydney, australia, so maybe i was spoiled). living in the city is expensive, so everyone i studied and worked with lived super far away from each other (up to 2 hours) so it was hard to keep friends. but i imagine you'll be living close to uni so maybe that won't be an issue for you. also, the subway is pretty brutal...nothing compared to london. but the bus system is decent . it's a lively city but you need to have the money to enjoy it. also, be prepared for the winter!!! it gets f-ing dreadful. vancouver has milder weather but it rains 1/3 of the year i believe.

don't go anywhere near the prairies. not worth your money, it's super boring!
Reply 5
Original post by chianca219
I'm looking at ubc and university if toronto, possibly mcgill but I don't really know about their engineering programs?? And also maybe simon fraser

i think you're on the right track. btw, a friend of mine studied at U of T and enjoyed it (but yeah, it's expensive).
Reply 6
Original post by I'msoPi
Hi i've already applied for universities locally (UK) but i've always wanted to study abroad so i'm curious on what to avoid if I decide to changes my mind and apply for university again :smile:

see my other comment :wink:

edit: oh yeah, don't go near the maritime provinces (east coast). boring as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Joleee
imho, it would only be worth it if you could study in the vancouver area or toronto area (or montreal but i'm not sure how french it is; mind you a friend from class is studying in montreal for a year so it can't be impossibly french).

bearing in mind these are the most expensive cities. vancouver is good if you like outdoors stuff (you have the mountains). i lived in toronto for two years. to be honest it wasn't my favourite city (but i also just came from living in sydney, australia, so maybe i was spoiled). living in the city is expensive, so everyone i studied and worked with lived super far away from each other (up to 2 hours) so it was hard to keep friends. but i imagine you'll be living close to uni so maybe that won't be an issue for you. also, the subway is pretty brutal...nothing compared to london. but the bus system is decent . it's a lively city but you need to have the money to enjoy it. also, be prepared for the winter!!! it gets f-ing dreadful. vancouver has milder weather but it rains 1/3 of the year i believe.

don't go anywhere near the prairies. not worth your money, it's super boring!

oh yeah i also forgot to ask. is there a difference to how canadians apply vs how international students apply? because i'm technically a canadian citizen but i've never lived there (i'm a citizen because of my parents), so would i be paying the local uni fees or international fees? and would there be much of a difference in the way i would apply to the unis compared to other people from canada?
Reply 8
oh yeah i also forgot to ask. is there a difference to how canadians apply vs how international students apply? because i'm technically a canadian citizen but i've never lived there (i'm a citizen because of my parents), so would i be paying the local uni fees or international fees? and would there be much of a difference in the way i would apply to the unis compared to other people from canada?

good question. not sure about the tuition fees. if you've never lived there i think you might have a problem getting the local rate (but i don't know). that's awesome that you're a canadian citizen. no visa required. there's no central application system like there is here, so you have to apply to each uni directly. but check out the link i pasted above for more information (i'm not an expert on it).
Reply 9
I'm planning on applying to some canadian universities as well as uk ones, but I'm not really sure how the application process works? And the staff at my school are only familiar with ucas so they aren't going to be helpful with this. All I know so far is that you apply directly to the uni, like the us, except for universities in ontario where you apply through ouac. But I'm pretty sure there are interviews and such at some unis, like ubc because my friend got one but she lives in canada, so how would that work if I were to apply individually. Anyways, I guess what I really want right now is if someone has gone through or is familiar with the canadian uni application process to just share what they know about is, especially for an a level student like me

I've moved your thread to the Study in North America forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm going to McGill in autumn, you can pm me if you like?? I applied to loads in canada this year and did a levels too

Even though you haven't been living in Canada, as long as you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you will qualify for the domestic rate.

As for the application process, it will definitely vary between universities, since they operate on an individual basis. You will most likely be using the form for international students, as you are doing your A-levels, but most likely qualify as a local student.
No interview required for U of Toronto, UBC, and McGill. UBC does require you to send them a "personal statement" where you answer some questions. If you're a Canadian citizen, you shouldn't have to pay intl fees afaik.

im a canadian citizen too but i don't live there anymore. i don't think it really matters that you've never lived there if you still have the passport so the local canadian fees would apply to you, not international

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending