The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Postgrad housing - timeframes?

I have an offer to study the Social History of Art MA at Leeds, beginning Sept 2018. I'm currently still living and working in London and keen to do so until the end of August.

It seems like a lot of student lets in Leeds run from the start of July, but it's not really possible for me to sign a lease that early as I can't afford to pay rent on two places or lose out on earnings from leaving my job and moving earlier.

I'd like to live with other MA or PhD students (I'm 25) so I'm connected to post-grad life and like-minded people at home is it going to be difficult for me to find a room from August/September in a student house or can I just relax a bit and keep looking later in the summer?
I am a very matured PhD student starting in October, and I've just signed with with carr-mills (http://www.carrmills-students.co.uk/accreditation/), a private student hall about a mile (15-20 minutes walk) from Leeds Uni. They seem to offer the cheapest en-suite accommodation (£102 per week all inclusive), and the starting date can be either 15th or 22nd of September, for a 42 week contract. There is also car-parking, which is a deal-breaker for me. They said it is 'free' on their website, but its actually 50 quid for the length of the contract. You pay £100 for a gate fob and a permit, and 50 of that gets refunded at the end if you give them back a working fob.

The only drawback is that I've been told that most of their residents are likely young undergrads; but given the price, the en-suite rooms and the car-parking, I can put up with that.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by chaotic1328
I am a very matured PhD student starting in October, and I've just signed with with carr-mills (http://www.carrmills-students.co.uk/accreditation/), a private student hall about a mile (15-20 minutes walk) from Leeds Uni. They seem to offer the cheapest en-suite accommodation (£102 per week all inclusive), and the starting date can be either 15th or 22nd of September, for a 42 week contract. There is also car-parking, which is a deal-breaker for me. They said it is 'free' on their website, but its actually 50 quid for the length of the contract. You pay £100 for a gate fob and a permit, and 50 of that gets refunded at the end if you give them back a working fob.

The only drawback is that I've been told that most of their residents are likely young undergrads; but given the price, the en-suite rooms and the car-parking, I can put up with that.

Hi! Thanks for this info. I think I'm keen to live in private accommodation rather than student halls as I want to make a home somewhere, but this is good to know about!
Original post by davidwoj
Hi! Thanks for this info. I think I'm keen to live in private accommodation rather than student halls as I want to make a home somewhere, but this is good to know about!

I think I'd also prefer a shared house, but the thought of having to share toilet/bath facilities is a deal-breaker for me. This site has a lot of private shared houses to let: https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=658746364&

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply

Latest