The Student Room Group

I'm a Buddhist. Ask me questions about Buddhism

Hi everyone,

I saw the Christian equivalent of this post and really love the idea - a great way to spread diversity awareness. Feel free to ask anything about Buddhism and I'll try my best to answer them :h:
If there is no god and idols in buddhism, why is the founding buddha (fat bud-bud) idolised in statues?
Why did you choose Buddhism over a different religion/atheism?
Original post by DemocracyUK
If there is no god and idols in buddhism, why is the founding buddha (fat bud-bud) idolised in statues?

Hi,
Depending on your school of Buddhism, there are multiple Gods, and there are ALWAYS idols. The main premise you're getting at is Buddism doesn't believe in an all ruling God over any others. Buddha is idolised because he founded Buddhism and is seen more as a teacher than anything else. Hopefully this has helped :smile:
Interesting. I don't know much about the religion so what made you to choose Buddhism?
Original post by prophetkid
Why did you choose Buddhism over a different religion/atheism?

Hi,

Personally I feel Buddhism fits my beliefs the closest. I'm not a huge believer of Gods in the physical sense, but I am a very spiritual person and do believe in reincarnation and Gods in the metaphorical, state of mind sense. Therefore Atheism does not quite fit my personal opinion, and neither do any others. I especially like how the religion bases around selflessness and avoiding blind faith. Hopefully this has helped :smile:
Original post by BTAnonymous
Interesting. I don't know much about the religion so what made you to choose Buddhism?

Hello, I just answered this in my previous reply. Feel free to read it :smile:
Can you explain the three types of Buddhism
When did you first learn about Buddhism?
Reply 9
Buddhists I have met have all been nice people nd I have nothing against any personally.

I don't know if it has changed much since it began about 2500 years ago, but as a Christian I saw some prophecies in the bible that seemed to match it, so after a fair bit of research I came up with this for it's origins.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by NJA
Buddhists I have met have all been nice people nd I have nothing against any personally.

I don't know if it has changed much since it began about 2500 years ago, but as a Christian I saw some prophecies in the bible that seemed to match it, so after a fair bit of research I came up with this for it's origins.

Do you read Sanskrit and/or Pāli?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
Do you read Sanskrit and/or Pāli?

No
Reply 12
Original post by NJA
No

Hmm. Ok, cheers man.

Quick Reply

Latest