The Student Room Group

Ask for help in Chemistry/Physics/Biology (Papers 1 or 2 :) )

If you have any questions ask ahead for any of the papers even if you're just checking the answers for exams already been!

I study AQA separate science so i am most likely to be of help in those :smile:

Scroll to see replies

is the vena cava a vein or artery?
Original post by prettysmart

vein
Original post by TheBeast11
If you have any questions ask ahead for any of the papers even if you're just checking the answers for exams already been!

I study AQA separate science so i am most likely to be of help in those :smile:

how to remember physic equations
Reply 4
Original post by JonathanChiu21

It often helps to consider the units of those equations e.g. Moment = force x perpendicular distance from the pivot
Nm = N x m
It also works vice versa for remembering units, although remember that there are exceptions to this (eg Energy and Joules)

Other than that, I find just reciting them over helps as many are short and snappy in a way (?)
Ek = 1/2 mv^2
P=IV
etc
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by prettysmart

Ok, vena cava is a vein!
Bit of extra insight beyond GCSE knowledge is that the vena cava is actually split into an Inferior VC and a Superior VC :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JonathanChiu21

Probably the best way is just practice lots of past questions for those equations. Use mermrise.com as well if you want to.

I would definitely recommend the units of everything as often things such as mass may not be given to you in kilograms so watch out for that!
A level student in all 3 here happy to help
I struggle to see how pd and current relate, could you please explain?
Also, why when you flip a switch closed on does the resistance in a circuit increase? Think that came up in one of the mocks and I didn’t really get it, would really appreciate it if you could help:smile:
So current and pd (voltage) are related by ohms law:
V=IR
This means when resistance is constant, as voltage increases so does the current (it’s actually directly proportional).
Basically think of the pd as the force making the electrons go around the circuit, and the current as how fast the electrons are flowing. If you apply more of the force (pd) which makes the electrons go round the circuit, the electrons will flow faster (current).
So as pd increases the current does.
Hope that helps!
Reply 11
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
I struggle to see how pd and current relate, could you please explain?

Ok, so V = IR, where V = potential difference, I = current and R = resistance

If resistance stays constant then as current increases, voltage increases proportionally.

If potential difference increases then current increases.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
wat is the definition of an acid (1 mark)
A switch does not increase resistance. A switch breaks the circuit, so when a switch is open, the circuit is broken and no current flows, but when it is closed, the current can flow. It doesn’t affect resistance at all!
Reply 14
Original post by FP5
wat is the definition of an acid (1 mark)

An acid is a substance with a pH less than 7
Acid: a substance with a pH of less than 7 from which a Hydrogen ion (H+) can dissociate easily (this process is called protonation)
Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17
So current and pd (voltage) are related by ohms law:
V=IR
This means when resistance is constant, as voltage increases so does the current (it’s actually directly proportional).
Basically think of the pd as the force making the electrons go around the circuit, and the current as how fast the electrons are flowing. If you apply more of the force (pd) which makes the electrons go round the circuit, the electrons will flow faster (current).
So as pd increases the current does.
Hope that helps!

This is so helpful, thank you so much! So, with transformers, is the idea that you increase pd, so the pushing force is more and then they go round slower, but because the pushing force is higher it’s like the same amount of power?
A switch does not increase resistance. A switch breaks the circuit, so when a switch is open, the circuit is broken and no current flows, but when it is closed, the current can flow. It doesn’t affect resistance at all!

Thank you:smile:

relate the differences between isotopes to differences in conventional representations of their identities, charges and masses??
don't even understand what it's asking
Original post by TheBeast11
Ok, so V = IR, where V = potential difference, I = current and R = resistance

If resistance stays constant then as current increases, voltage increases proportionally.

If potential difference increases then current increases.

Thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest