The Student Room Group

Courses for aspiring lawyers - what would you like to see?

Hey everyone,

I know it's a bit quieter here with exams on at the moment, but to those still around - I wanted to ask a favour.

Some of you will have seen my previous thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5111726.

I'm developing a series of courses to help aspiring lawyers better understand the world of business, finance and commercial law. They'll be a series of bite-sized videos with graded quizzes, practical case studies and interviews with practising lawyers.

To begin, I plan to cover an overview of these areas:

Mergers and acquisitions

Finance

Stock markets

The wider economy

Law firms as a business

Later, I'll branch out into applications/interviews (with examples for each), legal tech, private equity, litigation etc.

I wanted to ask you guys for feedback - the good and the bad. Would you find it useful? Are there any areas you want me to cover that I haven't mentioned?

Thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi P!

I have found your previous thread so useful and the advice has been amazing for interviews etc!

For me personally, I would find it very useful! From my own experience - the term commercial law is too broadly used by law students (including myself) without knowing the full ins and outs! I think explaining what each sub-sector (if you will) will be great and be beneficial in getting an insight into the workings of, for example, heavy private equity firms etc.

Although - If I was being extra demanding, I would prefer videos about the application process/assessment centre tips etc and just an in dept application guide. Thats just me though as I am about to apply for TCs in June/July so for me personally that would be a great help!
Original post by Equitable
Hi P!

I have found your previous thread so useful and the advice has been amazing for interviews etc!

For me personally, I would find it very useful! From my own experience - the term commercial law is too broadly used by law students (including myself) without knowing the full ins and outs! I think explaining what each sub-sector (if you will) will be great and be beneficial in getting an insight into the workings of, for example, heavy private equity firms etc.

Although - If I was being extra demanding, I would prefer videos about the application process/assessment centre tips etc and just an in dept application guide. Thats just me though as I am about to apply for TCs in June/July so for me personally that would be a great help!

That's great feedback, thank you!

Not demanding at all. To clarify, do you mean that you'd prefer I do videos on the app process/assessment centre before I go onto the commercial topics?
Original post by Perseverance
That's great feedback, thank you!

Not demanding at all. To clarify, do you mean that you'd prefer I do videos on the app process/assessment centre before I go onto the commercial topics?

No problem!

Yeah, so personally I would find it better if you were to do, like a series of videos, then to get application advice in at the start (especially with TC season looming, I would find that would work best. General advice on the application stage - how to answer competency questions etc and then tips about interviews and ACs from your perspective, having been through the process it would be hugely beneficial.

Also, I see plenty of threads about grades and their importance on TCs, especially with people contemplating self-funding the GDL/LPC so just your view on that etc would probably help many people on TSR. Personally I would love application advice/interview tips/AC tips etc before getting into the heavier topics, though, I see why people might prefer it the other way round so idk :biggrin:
Original post by Equitable
No problem!

Yeah, so personally I would find it better if you were to do, like a series of videos, then to get application advice in at the start (especially with TC season looming, I would find that would work best. General advice on the application stage - how to answer competency questions etc and then tips about interviews and ACs from your perspective, having been through the process it would be hugely beneficial.

Also, I see plenty of threads about grades and their importance on TCs, especially with people contemplating self-funding the GDL/LPC so just your view on that etc would probably help many people on TSR. Personally I would love application advice/interview tips/AC tips etc before getting into the heavier topics, though, I see why people might prefer it the other way round so idk :biggrin:

That makes a lot of sense and from the feedback I've had so far, a lot of students agree with you. What I'll do is prioritise content for this TC round (including a few things for commercial awareness) and then when things get quieter, I'll go onto the heavier stuff.

Original post by J-SP
I’d agree with the above poster - most people are going to care much more about getting their foot in the door with applications and interviews, rather than the technical stuff. That’s where the bottle neck is anyway.

For the time being, legal recruitment is quite different to consultancy recruitment which relies more heavily on understanding of case studies etc, which is why people like Victor Cheng have been able to make money out of such an idea for that sector. That might change with the SQE though. The applicants per vacancy in consultancy is also far larger than law (easily 4-5 times the volume), making it a much more competitive industry to get into, meaning there’s more of a market for this type of support.

How much are you thinking of charging for this?

Thanks for your thoughts. A friend recently told me about Victor Cheng - I must say he makes me laugh, but he's very good at what he does! That does seem to be the consensus re: the application/interview advice, especially in the short term.

I won't be charging for these. It's a bit of a trial run for me, but if they're useful, I just want to get them in front of as many applicants as I can.
Hey

This would be super helpful - thank you so much! Also, I think it'd be good to maybe have a few questions from the list of 175 (or however many!) TC questions on the Corporate Law Academy specific to these topics with some model answers, maybe?

Looking forward to this. Thanks for everything you do!
Original post by CityTCwannabe
Hey

This would be super helpful - thank you so much! Also, I think it'd be good to maybe have a few questions from the list of 175 (or however many!) TC questions on the Corporate Law Academy specific to these topics with some model answers, maybe?

Great idea. I'll add this to the interview course (and see how many questions I can get through!)
Original post by Perseverance
Great idea. I'll add this to the interview course (and see how many questions I can get through!)

Another thought - more to do with the process of applications - but advice for Watson Glaser tests etc would be incredibly helpful, if there's any possible way to do this!
Original post by J-SP
If this is done, please can you not do model answers, but instead explain how to answer it.

Model answers are the easiest way for someone to copy and paste, change a few words around and think the answer is good enough.

Not what I was after - lots of people learn from 'what a good one looks like'.

The questions are those that crop up in interviews anyway so they would require being made personal anyway.
Reply 9
Hey

Hey where can I find theses TC questions?
Original post by G. Man
Hey where can I find theses TC questions?

Here's the link, the website is great in general, so you should have a look!

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions/
Another thought - more to do with the process of applications - but advice for Watson Glaser tests etc would be incredibly helpful, if there's any possible way to do this!

Thanks, a few months ago I looked into getting a mock Watson Glaser test (ideally to run through some questions), but I don't think they ever got back to me. Will see what I can do.
Original post by J-SP
You’d have to pay for a mock assessment, and thats for each time someone takes it.

Plus you’d need to have a psychometric qualification to buy one.

Alright, thanks for the heads up.
Original post by J-SP
You’d have to pay for a mock assessment, and thats for each time someone takes it.

Plus you’d need to have a psychometric qualification to buy one.

Do you agree with WG prep? All my uni's trainees at the top firms swore by it and were willing to pay 100 quid for the services.

To OP, I for one would be more interested to peek behind the curtain as it were. I think there is a lot of TC app info online already, and this would be derivative (albeit useful to many). Would be more original and I think generally more insightful if you went down the technical route.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
I’d just recommend pulling together a list of resources for free psychometric tests. That’s what I have done in the past. Only problem is that it means very little as the person taking the test doesn’t really know how they are performing, as any practice test is not marked against a norm group (which is the most important/distinguishing part).

Give me a shout when you come round to that content though, can provide you with loads of bits and pieces that might be of use.

Last time I looked at getting WG practice tests for a work project, it was something like £18 a go 😑

That's kind of you, thanks, I will do.

Out of interest, what do you make of the WG/verbal reasoning test as a recruiting tool for law firms?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
Do you agree with WG prep? All my uni's trainees at the top firms swore by it and were willing to pay 100 quid for the services.

To OP, I for one would be more interested to peek behind the curtain as it were. I think there is a lot of TC app info online already, and this would be derivative (albeit useful to many). Would be more original and I think generally more insightful if you went down the technical route.

Thanks, it's good to have another point of view. I can see why most students will want TC stuff before the app cycle restarts, but yes, longer term that's what I plan to focus on.
Original post by J-SP
Do you mean the websites like assessment day and job test prep? Or is it a specific service for WG tests (never heard of it if so).

But these prep courses are a mixture of common sense and just becoming more comfortable/familiar with the type of questions. If you were savvy enough you could find enough free resources rather than paying out for them.

These type of practice assessments are a bit like any brain training game. All you are doing is blowing away the cobwebs on your own abilities, you can’t really improve your performance in these tests in a short space of time, you just get more comfortable and confident with them.

I suppose that's why candidates dislike it so much. With the other assessment exercises, it's easy to see how you can improve your chances pretty substantially - write a better application, practice explaining your motivations for the interview etc. Unless it was just a confidence issue, you can't really do that with the WG.
Original post by J-SP
It’s why recruiters like them though! It’s about raw ability, not learning things in a parrot fashion, which typically can happen with other assessments.

Yeah, that's understandable.

Since I'm not going through the process anymore, my perspective has changed a lot on recruitment and how hard it is to determine good candidates. It's partly why I'd rather focus on the technical topics with the courses - though I still have a lot to learn myself.

I still think applications and interviews are useful, but as indicators of effort and personality, rather than performance. If I were an interviewer, I could see myself giving candidates a very hard time to find out what they were like beyond the memorised answers.
Original post by J-SP
It is more painful as a candidate. I completely understand that, especially where there is generally a real lack of transparency (which I don’t necessarily agree with).

But it’s painful from a recruiter’s point of view too (although I would say that!). Its becomes much more accessible to apply these days, which in some ways is better for the industry but then also means you have to put measures in place to cut the numbers of applicants down. Recruiters are told to focus less on certain things (like UCAS points) which just mean they have to focus on something else instead. You often have crazy objectives in place that make it more painful for candidates rather than less, but you do it for the “greater good”.

Where do you see things going over the next few years?

Presumably, more students apply (especially with the SQE), law firms introduce more standardised tests, robots start taking over interviewing...
Original post by J-SP
I think AI profiling will happen more at an application stage. People will either upload their CV to a system or submit a short video interview and they will be encouraged to apply based on algorithms. Then a human will actually screen their actual application and shortlist using other assessments, such as aptitude tests and other psychometrics. The later stages of recruitment will remain the same - I suspect law will be the last sector to use things like VR at an assessment centre.

The SQE will change what firms recruit for though. There is a real risk that the SQE creates less centralised processes, and actually more bias where individual teams can now recruit specifically want they want in a trainee (rotations are no longer needed as you no longer need three “distinct areas of law” as part of your recruitment process). It could make things like nepotism worse rather than better. You also don’t have to recruit long term like you do now, so you can become far more short-sighted based on immediate need rather than long term.

I’m off to Legal Cheek’s “Future of Legal Education” conference tomorrow - it will be interesting to hear different views on what they think the SQE will bring.

I'm glad they're scrapping the LPC and breaking BPP/ULaw's grip on the market, but that's about it - and if that's the only thing they wanted to tackle, they didn't need to introduce such radical proposals. I'm waiting to hear more, but so far, I'm not convinced it's going to do much for diversity either.

Looks like a cracking conference though - great line up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending