The Student Room Group

Law Work experience

I was wondering what companies offer work experience for year 12 students in the summer of 2018 for a week I've already contacted a lot of law firms however I still haven't found anything. I've even tried contacting companies that do similar work such as detectives unfortunately i still haven't found anything.
Reply 1
Original post by Zoe_100488
I was wondering what companies offer work experience for year 12 students in the summer of 2018 for a week I've already contacted a lot of law firms however I still haven't found anything. I've even tried contacting companies that do similar work such as detectives unfortunately i still haven't found anything.

I’m quite sure no law firm will accept a year 12 😂
Based on what I know/been taught.
You require a law degree at uni then 2 years training at a firm.
Why not just get a standard part time job like at the pub? Or restaurant ect ...

Matrix Chambers offers a work experience scheme as well as Pinsent Masons - I did a week at Matrix in the Summer of Year 11, and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

You should forget about pay and consider 1-4 weeks unpaid internships and propose this instead. Try local law firms or societies.
Reply 4
Original post by Kev lad
I’m quite sure no law firm will accept a year 12 😂
Based on what I know/been taught.
You require a law degree at uni then 2 years training at a firm.
Why not just get a standard part time job like at the pub? Or restaurant ect ...

OP has said she is looking for a week long work experience placement not a job, i think you are confusing this with a training contract. Work experience placements are for younger students to have insight into a particular field of employment before and many law firms and businesses offer these.

My first work experience was with a high street criminal law firm which I got by word of mouth so try reaching out to anyone you know, and ask your college/sixth form if they have any connections that you could use. Your best chance will be with smaller and local firms who will allow you to shadow them for a few days. Many law firms might not advertise that they offer work experience placements but you should email them with a cover letter and CV and ask if they would consider offering you a placement. You may find that it is a bit late in the year to obtain a placement for this summer.
Reply 5
Original post by sloths
OP has said she is looking for a week long work experience placement not a job, i think you are confusing this with a training contract. Work experience placements are for younger students to have insight into a particular field of employment before and many law firms and businesses offer these.

My first work experience was with a high street criminal law firm which I got by word of mouth so try reaching out to anyone you know, and ask your college/sixth form if they have any connections that you could use. Your best chance will be with smaller and local firms who will allow you to shadow them for a few days. Many law firms might not advertise that they offer work experience placements but you should email them with a cover letter and CV and ask if they would consider offering you a placement. You may find that it is a bit late in the year to obtain a placement for this summer.

Safe, I’ll try it next summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending