The Student Room Group

Strathclyde or QMUL? Which one?!

I have been accepted into U of Strathclyde for MSc Quantitative Finance and QMUL for MSc Mathematical Finance.

I am an international student. Which one should I go for? Which one for higher ROI?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by francisneumann
I have been accepted into U of Strathclyde for MSc Quantitative Finance and QMUL for MSc Mathematical Finance.

I am an international student. Which one should I go for? Which one for higher ROI?

I don't know anything about either university, but QMUL (as constituent college of the University of London) certainly has the better brand name, and is better located for internships/job interviews.
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know anything about either university, but QMUL (as constituent college of the University of London) certainly has the better brand name, and is better located for internships/job interviews.

Right. What do you mean by 'constituent college of U of London'?

Yeah definitely better for job interviews and internships.
Right. What do you mean by 'constituent college of U of London'?

Yeah definitely better for job interviews and internships.

I mean QMUL is part of the University of London.
Original post by Snufkin
I mean QMUL is part of the University of London.

Dang, always thought it was a separate university!
Dang, always thought it was a separate university!

It is effectively a separate university. The University of London is a loose federation of various unis, the point is that the name has more weight abroad than Strathclyde.
I want to go to QMUL.
yanny
Reply 8
i go to QMUL. It's a bit **** but if you're international then you'll probably like it
Reply 9
where are you from btw?
Queen Mary's so you can meet the people on TSR who attend it also :tongue:
But nah, i think it's the better uni, and it's in London so perhaps better career opportunities?
Original post by Snufkin
It is effectively a separate university. The University of London is a loose federation of various unis, the point is that the name has more weight abroad than Strathclyde.

Yeah, global reputation is why I might just choose QMUL. Thanks for the feedback!
Original post by itsyahg
where are you from btw?

I am international. South East Asia.
Qmul

100%
Original post by pereira325
Queen Mary's so you can meet the people on TSR who attend it also :tongue:
But nah, i think it's the better uni, and it's in London so perhaps better career opportunities?

Yeah London is definitely an advantage. I have emailed the uni to ask if it'll be possible to pursue internships during the program. Let's see.
I am international. South East Asia.

yeah there are quite a lot of people here from there, you'll like it
Original post by thestudent33
Qmul

100%

Any particular reason? Strathclyde is pretty highly ranked when it comes to Finance.
Original post by Snufkin

Yeah also emailed QMUL to find out if I'll be able to pursue internship opportunities during the progam. It's a one year program so idk. Let's see what they say.
Original post by itsyahg
yeah there are quite a lot of people here from there, you'll like it

Haha bruh I'm not too worried about 'mixing in'. For me it's all about my prospects after the MSc program. It's one year anyway.
Haha bruh I'm not too worried about 'mixing in'. For me it's all about my prospects after the MSc program. It's one year anyway.

oh lol yeah QM is good for maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending