The Student Room Group

Where do you think England will finish in the world cup?

I think England will be out in the group stages and Gareth Southgate out of the job.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ma_long
I think England will be out in the group stages and Gareth Southgate out of the job.

I agree
No wilshere
No Shelvey
Southgate is a retard, he doesn’t even rate messi😂
I hope we get battered, every year we never take our best possible players instead we choose players that are ****.
Reply 2
Original post by Kev lad
I agree
No wilshere
No Shelvey
Southgate is a retard, he doesn’t even rate messi😂
I hope we get battered, every year we never take our best possible players instead we choose players that are ****.

Southgate is like the worst possible choice as a manager, there is nothing world class in the England team.

I say Belgium kicks our arse, we lose to Tunisia and draw with Panama.

Maybe a draw with Tunisia is likely and we are out on goal difference.
Southgate is safe unless he loses all three games.
They will scrape out of the group and do 1 or 2 games.

[Very pleased to have been wrong]

Hopeful.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ma_long
Southgate is like the worst possible choice as a manager, there is nothing world class in the England team.

I say Belgium kicks our arse, we lose to Tunisia and draw with Panama.

Maybe a draw with Tunisia is likely and we are out on goal difference.

It doesn’t matter if we top our group or finish 2nd coz In the next round Poland will beat us.
England players are shocking.
They do good at youth level and at the big stage they bottle it.
France’s reserve team consisting of martial and Lacazette would be beat England comfortably.
The amount of the money we spend on football and still we never perform at the big stage.
1966 ~ never again
But still I hope england do well, but the team isn’t impressive!
Russia, most likely.
Reply 6
Original post by Kev lad
It doesn’t matter if we top our group or finish 2nd coz In the next round Poland will beat us.
England players are shocking.
They do good at youth level and at the big stage they bottle it.
France’s reserve team consisting of martial and Lacazette would be beat England comfortably.
The amount of the money we spend on football and still we never perform at the big stage.
1966 ~ never again
But still I hope england do well, but the team isn’t impressive!

There is no pressure on this team to perform though, it isn't like 2006 where the team were expected to win the world cup (you had players like beckham, rooney, joe cole, gerrard, terry etc).

The problem is the english leagues support foreign talent over british talent, you have the best league in the world but you don't care about your own homegrown players.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Southgate is safe unless he loses all three games.
They will scrape out of the group and do 1 or 2 games.

Southgate just wants to get paid to 2022, where he knows he is definitely finished.

If england don't make last 8 (which they never will) southgate should be sacked, he has picked a terrible team.
Reply 8
Original post by ma_long
There is no pressure on this team to perform though, it isn't like 2006 where the team were expected to win the world cup (you had players like beckham, rooney, joe cole, gerrard, terry etc).

The problem is the english leagues support foreign talent over british talent, you have the best league in the world but you don't care about your own homegrown players.

True but still fans should have expectations to get to the quarters atleast.
Let’s be honest. We r better than panama and Tunisia on paper. And we should beat Poland (r16) if we advance.
Original post by ma_long

Kane isn't world class? OK :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by Kev lad
True but still fans should have expectations to get to the quarters atleast.
Let’s be honest. We r better than panama and Tunisia on paper. And we should beat Poland (r16) if we advance.

On paper yes, but like you said, England always bottle it. I wouldn't be surprised if we are drawing to Tunisia or Panama. You need to win one match in the group at least, which I can't see where we can win. Even Panama is going to cause our back 4 problems, the back 4 is a joke. That is the weakest part of the england team, we have no defence.

Our midfield is average and our strikers are good. But our back 4 will let in goals all day.
Reply 11
Original post by Wilfred Little

Not really, the strikers are the only good part of the England team. It gets worse the further you go back, the back 4 are a joke, the back 4 will cost England.
Reply 12
Original post by ma_long

I don't think England will make it past the knockout stages. We have a relatively easy group so we should progress but knowing England they might not even make it past the group stages like the last world cup.
(edited 5 years ago)

What scoring taps ins and begging to claim goals is world class. 😂
I don’t see kane guiding england to anything.
What’s he won for Tottenham?
He isn’t world class.
Lewandoski is world class!
Just coz Kane scores tap ins/penalties...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
People forget how bad our back 4 are, imagine a team like Brazil against our back 4, we are going to get wrecked even if we do somehow get past poland (which would be a miracle). Good defence is the key to winning matches, even if Kane scores his taps in, we will let in 2-3 goals at the back.
Original post by ma_long
People forget how bad our back 4 are, imagine a team like Brazil against our back 4, we are going to get wrecked even if we do somehow get past poland (which would be a miracle). Good defence is the key to winning matches, even if Kane scores his taps in, we will let in 2-3 goals at the back.

Totally agree with you.
Argentina would smack us up
Germany would smack us up
Brazil would smack us up
France would smack us up.
Original post by ma_long

They won't get to finish.
Reply 17
Original post by Kev lad
Totally agree with you.
Argentina would smack us up
Germany would smack us up
Brazil would smack us up
France would smack us up.

Messi could run through our back 4, same with Ronaldo. Now I miss Terry and Ferdinand, we should have won the world cup in 2006.
Original post by ma_long
Not really, the strikers are the only good part of the England team. It gets worse the further you go back, the back 4 are a joke, the back 4 will cost England.

Kane averages close to a goal a game and has done for the past two years. Stop it. He is world class.

Original post by Kev lad
What scoring taps ins and begging to claim goals is world class. 😂
I don’t see kane guiding england to anything.
What’s he won for Tottenham?
He isn’t world class.
Lewandoski is world class!
Just coz Kane scores tap ins/penalties...

You don't score 41 tap ins in a season you dramatic fool.
Teams win trophies.
Either you don't watch him, don't understand the sport or you're trolling.
You don't score 41 tap ins in a season you dramatic fool.
Teams win trophies.
Either you don't watch him, don't understand the sport or you're trolling.

Shut up you Tottenham fan, you clearly don’t watch the games.
What does Kane honestly do...
Tap ins/penalties ...

Quick Reply

Latest