The Student Room Group

I'm on degree but no money till next semester

Hi okay so I'm on a uni degree and I live alone i pay my own bills ect but now I'm on my summer break and don't get money until September I'm afraid of my loan running out and I have no one to help me through the bill paying and obviously food shopping,,, I am been careful with my money but what if it runs out I don't get much as it is what can I do during the holidays to keep me going I don't have a job but I keep applying and not been successful in them,,,, how can I live this summer with money running out

Scroll to see replies

Can you move back in with your parents for the summer?
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
Can you move back in with your parents for the summer?

No sadly I wish i could I've already asked them but I can't move back they won't let me
Original post by Anonymous
No sadly I wish i could I've already asked them but I can't move back they won't let me

wow thats mean of them..why won't they let you move back in? could you give us a bit more info. how much money have you got at the moment until your next loan comes through?
Can you work out how much money you have from now until your next loan payment, then divide by the number of weeks to get a weekly budget? That's what I did throughout my entire degree, to make sure I have enough money to last.
Reply 5
Original post by bubblegumcat
wow thats mean of them..why won't they let you move back in? could you give us a bit more info. how much money have you got at the moment until your next loan comes through?
ikr and we had a fall out last year I guess things haven't healed,, I probably have enough to get me through next month I am been careful with money
Reply 6
Original post by prophetkid
Can you work out how much money you have from now until your next loan payment, then divide by the number of weeks to get a weekly budget? That's what I did throughout my entire degree, to make sure I have enough money to last.

Ive been trying to do that and I worked it out to like £40 a week to spend which would obviously be my weekly shop but then there's bills that just keep coming out and I can't keep on top of it
ikr and we had a fall out last year I guess things haven't healed,, I probably have enough to get me through next month I am been careful with money

hmm just seems very immature on their part! then again idk the full story so i guess i can’t judge. The only thing i can think of is you having to find a job, have you had any luck yet?
Get a job? I think the student maintenance loan has been designed so you get a job in summer. That's why you get 3 payments and not 4 throughout the year!

You can get a job at your local shop, hospitality, security....If you want to get into hospitality you can try working with the shift app. Just download from app store. You can just sign up and apply for kitchen porter jobs £9/h+ or go to a training session about 3 hours long in holborn and then you get qualified for other jobs like waiter, etc. Those pay even higher. If you want to join https://syft.app.link/join and use the code ANDRD25, when you complete your first job you will get £20 bonus :tongue:.
After you get training with syft and maybe one or two shifts experience you can then apply to almost any hospitality agency out there and they will hire you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ive been trying to do that and I worked it out to like £40 a week to spend which would obviously be my weekly shop but then there's bills that just keep coming out and I can't keep on top of it

its not ideal but you can cut that food budget down to £20 or so with some effort, have you used your student overdraft already?
Original post by bubblegumcat
hmm just seems very immature on their part! then again idk the full story so i guess i can’t judge. The only thing i can think of is you having to find a job, have you had any luck yet?
I know but yanoo and no sadly I'm literally applying to every job I see but no luck what so ever I do keep trying though
Original post by AndrewBlue
Get a job? I think the student maintenance loan has been designed so you get a job in summer. That's why you get 3 payments and not 4 throughout the year!

You can get a job at your local shop, hospitality, security....If you want to get into hospitality you can try working with the shift app. Just download from app store. You can just sign up and apply for kitchen porter jobs £9/h+ or go to a training session about 3 hours long in holborn and then you get qualified for other jobs like waiter, etc. Those pay even higher. If you want to join https://syft.app.link/join and use the code ANDRD25, when you complete your first job you will get £20 bonus :tongue:.
After you get training with syft and maybe one or two shifts experience you can then apply to almost any hospitality agency out there and they will hire you.
its hard getting jobs these days they all want so much experience which I haven't got I only have a 2 week work experience I did in school, I'm applying for jobs everyday I've also asked people I know to look out for me and I know theres these agency type things but many of my friends have been to them and there not very reliable I need a proper full time job for summer as I have my own rent to pay and own bills etc
Original post by claireestelle
its not ideal but you can cut that food budget down to £20 or so with some effort, have you used your student overdraft already?
tbh I don't know how the minimum I've spent for a food budget is £30 a week but now that's getting difficult to do and I don't have a student account it's stupid that I haven't got one I know but i just didn't think I thought to myself I already have a bank account so no point obviously I do now
I know but yanoo and no sadly I'm literally applying to every job I see but no luck what so ever I do keep trying though

might be worth getting your cv reviewed by the careers services are your uni. Where have you applied to so far?
tbh I don't know how the minimum I've spent for a food budget is £30 a week but now that's getting difficult to do and I don't have a student account it's stupid that I haven't got one I know but i just didn't think I thought to myself I already have a bank account so no point obviously I do now

might be possible to change to a student account? maybe worth asking your bank about it

That's still quite a lot just for a one person for a week. When I was a student, I rarely spent any more than £20 on food a week.

You should still be able to get a student account now. Where are you doing your food shop?
Original post by Tiger Rag
That's still quite a lot just for a one person for a week. When I was a student, I rarely spent any more than £20 on food a week.

Did that include eating out, though?
Original post by TheJohnM
Did that include eating out, though?

No
You can use a food bank (potentially) and your uni might be able to give you some hardship money. I would recommend contacting some banks about a student account (will be easier with your current bank imo).

Do talk to your parents and tell them you need help. I don't know the circumstances, but they might not know how you're struggling.

Quick Reply

Latest