The Student Room Group

Modern Languages what is Hispanic Studies?

Hey,
I'm considering applying in the future for a degree in Modern Languages BA. I currently study French and Spanish. So if I was to apply I would do French, Spanish and a language from scratch. However, some universities only give me the option of Hispanic Studies and not Spanish. What's the difference between Spanish and Hispanic Studies?
Original post by aarondc249
Hey,
I'm considering applying in the future for a degree in Modern Languages BA. I currently study French and Spanish. So if I was to apply I would do French, Spanish and a language from scratch. However, some universities only give me the option of Hispanic Studies and not Spanish. What's the difference between Spanish and Hispanic Studies?

Hispanic Studies is usually more focused on the culture of Spain and Latin America than the language. Some universities that do Hispanic Studies also give you the option to study Catalan or Portuguese too.
Reply 2
Original post by cafebee
Hispanic Studies is usually more focused on the culture of Spain and Latin America than the language. Some universities that do Hispanic Studies also give you the option to study Catalan or Portuguese too.

So I wouldn't be studying the Spanish Language?
So I wouldn't be studying the Spanish Language?

No you'd still be learning Spanish there's just more emphasis on the cultural side of things :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by cafebee
No you'd still be learning Spanish there's just more emphasis on the cultural side of things :smile:

Ok then that's great thank you :smile:
Original post by cafebee

This is not quite right. Generally, they are interchangeable names for the same thing, in the same way that some universities use 'Oriental Studies' (for Chinese/Japanese), German Studies (for German), Scandinavian Studies (for Swedish, Danish or Norwegian), or Slavonic Studies (for Russian) - it's just personal preference what names individual universities use.

If a university offers both BA Spanish and BA Hispanic Studies degrees then there may well be a difference in module content, but if only Hispanic Studies is offered then it's just a normal Spanish degree under a different name, and there won't be any more or less emphasis on cultural topics. Many universities offer Catalan and/or Portuguese language options on BA Spanish degrees too.

@aarondc249
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
This is not quite right. Generally, they are interchangeable names for the same thing, in the same way that some universities use 'Oriental Studies' (for Chinese/Japanese), German Studies (for German), Scandinavian Studies (for Swedish, Danish or Norwegian), or Slavonic Studies (for Russian) - it's just personal preference what names individual universities use.

If a university offers both BA Spanish and BA Hispanic Studies degrees then there may well be a difference in module content, but if only Hispanic Studies is offered then it's just a normal Spanish degree under a different name, and there won't be any more or less emphasis on cultural topics. Many universities offer Catalan and/or Portuguese language options on BA Spanish degrees too.

@aarondc249

Thank you that's what I was worried about. Some universities for the Modern Langauge course offer a set number of languages you do post a level and one from scratch. However, the unis that offered Hispanic Studies post a level also did Spanish from scratch, I take it the course content would be different then?
Thank you that's what I was worried about. Some universities for the Modern Langauge course offer a set number of languages you do post a level and one from scratch. However, the unis that offered Hispanic Studies post a level also did Spanish from scratch, I take it the course content would be different then?

I doubt it, but I can't say for sure without knowing what uni you're talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending