The Student Room Group

Women and walking down the aisle

I've never known something more sexist than when your father or brother walks you down the aisle. Its absolutely disgusting. Clearly you think they own you and have power over you.

And when your father gives you away its an exchange of power and your husband now controls you.

I just don't understand women. Is it that difficult to walk down the aisle yourself to meet the love of your love? Most weddings are just a show. Its supposed to be about you and your lover.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah exactly it's an archaic tradition which originated back when women were considered property of men and required a man's permission to do anything.
Reply 2
Original post by The Relic
I've never known something more sexist than when your father or brother walks you down the aisle. Its absolutely disgusting. Clearly you think they own you and have power over you.

And when your father gives you away its an exchange of power and your husband now controls you.

I just don't understand women. Is it that difficult to walk down the aisle yourself to meet the love of your love? Most weddings are just a show. Its supposed to be about you and your lover.

I'm pretty sure that's where walking down the aisle came from back in the day, but nowadays it's just for tradition and nothing much to do with the actual meaning
Original post by goldfvnch
Yeah exactly it's an archaic tradition which originated back when women were considered property of men and required a man's permission to do anything.

My point exactly. I think the main reason why women still do it is because they are too obsessed over the wedding itself and want to act like a bloody princess.

I don't know why they don't just walk down the aisle by themselves to meet their lover.
Reply 4

Personally I'd have my BFF walk me down...
Original post by Bham369
Personally I'd have my BFF walk me down...

Your lover should be your best friend.
My point exactly. I think the main reason why women still do it is because they are too obsessed over the wedding itself and want to act like a bloody princess.

I don't know why they don't just walk down the aisle by themselves to meet their lover.

Ikr the whole walk down the aisle just feels akin to the woman being delivered like some sort of parcel to her groom. Also I could be reaching too much so do forgive me if this is the case, but the veil is also something that pisses me off - they're supposed to symbolise virginity and purity when nowadays, many have already had sex prior to marriage.
For Christ's sake. It's traditional, symbolic, nothing more.
Original post by goldfvnch
Ikr the whole walk down the aisle just feels akin to the woman being delivered like some sort of parcel to her groom. Also I could be reaching too much so do forgive me if this is the case, but the veil is also something that pisses me off - they're supposed to symbolise virginity and purity when nowadays, many have already had sex prior to marriage.

I completely agree.
Reply 9
Your lover should be your best friend.

They will be but I can have more than one bestie,

The bestie that will walk me down the aisle will be the guy I have known for years, The bestie he will give me to will be my partner
Original post by Amanzhol
For Christ's sake. It's traditional, symbolic, nothing more.

What on earth does that mean?
It's called tradition. That's just how it used to be. the men of the family were seen as the protectors and the breadwinners. Your religion is far worse in its treatment of women so stop with the selective outrage.

Are you going to be outraged over the fact that the man is expected to propose or initiate a relationship too?

If you hate it so much you're free to not do it yourself. That's of course assuming a sane man would want to marry you anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bham369
They will be but I can have more than one bestie,

The bestie that will walk me down the aisle will be the guy I have known for years, The bestie he will give me to will be my partner

This is seriously weird.
Original post by damnation1
It's called tradition. That's just how it used to be. the men of the family were seen as the protectors and the breadwinners. Your religion is far worse in its treatment of women so stop with the selective outrage.

If you hate it so much you're free to not do it yourself.

You really hate Islam don't you.
This is seriously weird.

What's so weird about it?
Weddings have many traditions its up to the couple which ones they want to continue doing, maybe they have a male relative because they want to recognise a positive contribution in their lives. We did it together as a couple which although people found a bit different, i think it's more common these days.

It is simply a tradition, but there were good reasons for it in the past.

Daughters tend to do it because they have a close realtionship with their fathers and it signifies moving from one household to creating another.

If you dont wnat to do it that way, then dont do it at your wedding if you ever get married.

Nothing to do with control or power, unless thats the way it works in your family.
Original post by Volibear
This person has their head in the clouds.

How so?
Original post by Bham369
What's so weird about it?

Your lover should be your best friend. I don't know what you don't understand.
Reply 19
well yeah, it's sexist it's called 'giving away the bride'. lol the clue is in the title.

if we want to argue sexism, though, then the whole wedding is sexist (even the fact it's always SHE walking down the aisle). so if we want to eliminate sexism we need to do away with weddings altogether and just sign a marriage contract at city hall.

Quick Reply

Latest