The Student Room Group

Opinions on Ruby Granger- Oxford Rejection/Lifestyle/YT Channel etc

Just stumbled across Ruby Granger, and I can't help but think she has an unhealthy obsession with studying. It's consuming her life and it actually freaks me out that she's allowed by her parents to be so reliant on it for happiness, and that nobody in the comments can see that it isn't good for a child to be so addicted to studying! I study about 1/5 of the amount she does and I'm on my way to being a straight A alevel student... it's very weird.
Also, what do you think about her Oxford rejection? I think it was inevitable that she'd get rejected- yes, she's hardworking and motivated, but:

1) She's not sparky, charming, easy to banter and converse with
2) She doesn't ever relax properly. She holds herself to such a huge amount of work that Oxford would make her stretch herself too thin
3) She doesn't engage in sports, drama or any extra curriculars. And before you say that Oxford doesn't care about these things, it just the implication that she isn't interested in anything outside of studying, suggesting she will find achieving a balance of academia and fun quite difficult.
4) She is very just so. She seems to have a very straightforward, methodological way of thinking. Whilst I'm not suggesting she can't take on new ideas, her style of speech makes her thoughts appear premeditated and structured in her mind, as opposed to a free, boundary-less way of thinking. E.g. She is very intent on being exactly like Hermione Granger. She takes it very seriously and literally (i.e. clothing, mannerisms, phraseology) which presents her as a bit too obsessive and structured, as she almost copies her every move, as opposed to just taking on Hermione's ideologies and mindset. She takes it to the extreme.
5) She is quite childlike, in appearance and speech. I don't know if this is because of the Hermione thing again, but she dresses up and obsesses over Hermione like a 7-year-old child might be obsessed with a Disney princess. Also, her style of dress makes her look young, quite naive and innocent. This isn't a bad thing in itself but she doesn't quite seem to have matured into a fully functioning adult yet, which is something that Oxford really looks for.

(NO HATE ON RUBY ON THIS CHAT- THIS IS A MATURE DEBATE AS OPPOSED TO A HATE THREAD. YES SHE DRESSES A LITTLE ODD BUT IM NOT GOING TO ROAST HER FOR THINGS SHE CANT CHANGE AT THE END OF THE DAY)

--------------------------------

Please don't threaten me that I'm not going to get into a good university because I want views on a youtuber. And please dont call me a weirdo, or a pathetic loser. It's personal and upsetting, and just bad manners. I've explicitly said I dont want to hate on Ruby, she seems a lovely girl. Above are my opinions, not facts, and if you disagree please put it constructively or not at all x

---------------------------------------

Hi everyone. I have received a very pleasant and unaccusing message from Ruby Granger about this, in which she perfectly understood my point of view, although that doesn't excuse me from making some negative assumptions, which I have now revised. Please put it to rest- stop accusing me of bullying, but also stop calling her names. None of those two things are appropriate. Thank you x
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what course did she apply for
Reply 2
Original post by uka_qwer
what course did she apply for

English Lit i believe
Original post by fancypingu
Just stumbled across Ruby Granger, and I can't help but think she has an unhealthy obsession with studying. It's consuming her life and it actually freaks me out that she's allowed by her parents to be so reliant on it for happiness, and that nobody in the comments can see that it isn't good for a child to be so addicted to studying! I study about 1/5 of the amount she does and I'm on my way to being a straight A alevel student... it's very weird.
Also, what do you think about her Oxford rejection? I think it was inevitable that she'd get rejected- yes, she's hardworking and motivated, but:

2) She doesn't ever relax properly. She holds herself to such a huge amount of work that Oxford would make her stretch herself too thin
3) She doesn't engage in sports, drama or any extra curriculars. And before you say that Oxford doesn't care about these things, it just the implication that she isn't interested in anything outside of studying, suggesting she will find achieving a balance of academia and fun quite difficult.
4) She is very just so. She seems to have a very straightforward, methodological way of thinking. Whilst I'm not suggesting she can't take on new ideas, her style of speech makes her thoughts appear premeditated and structured in her mind, as opposed to a free, boundary-less way of thinking. E.g. She is very intent on being exactly like Hermione Granger. She takes it very seriously and literally (i.e. clothing, mannerisms, phraseology) which presents her as a bit too obsessive and structured, as she almost copies her every move, as opposed to just taking on Hermione's ideologies and mindset. She takes it to the extreme.
5) She is quite childlike, in appearance and speech. I don't know if this is because of the Hermione thing again, but she dresses up and obsesses over Hermione like a 7-year-old child might be obsessed with a Disney princess. Also, her style of dress makes her look young, quite naive and innocent. This isn't a bad thing in itself but she doesn't quite seem to have matured into a fully functioning adult yet, which is something that Oxford really looks for.

(NO HATE ON RUBY ON THIS CHAT- THIS IS A MATURE DEBATE AS OPPOSED TO A HATE THREAD. YES SHE DRESSES A LITTLE ODD BUT IM NOT GOING TO ROAST HER FOR THINGS SHE CANT CHANGE AT THE END OF THE DAY)

Who are you to judge her smh each to their own let her do what she wants just because she doesn’t document every little thing on YouTube doesn’t mean she doesn’t do extra activities.

She's definitely eccentric and quirky but it's not unhealthy. She must be pretty sociable if she's running a YT channel and she can speak and express herself well. She just seems like a typical innocent white girl.

What's wrong with enjoying studying? She likes being productive and she's probably going to get 3A*s too

She sounds like your average hard working student which is fine but when most of the applicants are like this, you could understand why they prefer some applicants that stand out.
Original post by damnation1
She's definitely eccentric and quirky but it's not unhealthy. She must be pretty sociable if she's running a YT channel and she can speak and express herself well. She just seems like a typical innocent white girl.

What's wrong with enjoying studying? She likes being productive and she's probably going to get 3A*s too

How about you look at yourself for a moment; from the very few posts you've made, you've written two chunky paragraphs attacking her. So what does that make you? A pathetic loser.

Woah hold your horses. Attacking the op doesn't make you any better.
Original post by G-Wizzle

I dont care about being better lol.
Reply 8

How about you look at yourself for a moment; from the very few posts you've made, you've written two chunky paragraphs attacking her. So what does that make you? A pathetic loser.

I like how you've managed to completely overlook the point of my post. I'm not attacking her- this is my opinion, I've specified that I don't believe you should hate on things you cant change. She's clearly a lovely girl and I'm not undermining what she enjoys at all! I would never not promote learning, but I promote moderation. My objective truths, therefore, are what I'm putting across. I'm obsessed with studying too. However, a 15 hour study day is longer than most are even awake for.
Objectivity! No hate.
I like how you've managed to completely overlook the point of my post. I'm not attacking her- this is my opinion, I've specified that I don't believe you should hate on things you cant change. She's clearly a lovely girl and I'm not undermining what she enjoys at all! I would never not promote learning, but I promote moderation. My objective truths, therefore, are what I'm putting across. I'm obsessed with studying too. However, a 15 hour study day is longer than most are even awake for.
Objectivity! No hate.

There's no objective truths. For example she does do extra curricular. Just attacks on her character.

You're a weirdo for making a TSR post about her too. She's leaps and bounds better than you can ever be
Chill.
It's fine for her. She's clearly coping with everything and even though she may be 'addicted' to studying, it looks like she enjoys it so what's wrong with that? As for her 15-hour days, I don't think it actually spans that long and I'm sure she has breaks too.
A lot of people don't do ECAs, etc and turn out fine so why should it be different for her?
It's just a style. Like, I enjoy dressing young. It looks cute as well. There's nothing wrong with it. As for her 'obsession' with Hermione Granger, I'm sure everyone obsesses over someone, they just do it differently. Ruby imitates the way Hermione dresses and acts but there's really nothing wrong with dressing like someone or acting like someone.
Original post by G-Wizzle

Lol I did feel a bit attacked haha

Obviously, I'm not bashing Ruby- I don't know her, I don't know her life, etc etc. It's merely her image that I'm commenting on and I wish people could understand a debate before they get triggered

But never mind!
They're all really odd (Eve Bennet, Unjaded Jade and the like)

Jack Edwards is normal, but they all mix betwene each other so they might as well be one person.

The only "real" ones I can say I have found is a few of the American Youtubers.

The childlike comment is so true, like she must be bullied for that who lets their child leave the house like THAT. The dressing up thing is okay like 1 time a year for Halloween but she seems to think she is Hermione. I can imagine she struggled in the interview, having to talk about things other than academics and how many A*s she has achieved. She would struggle at Oxford, it's not gumdrops and rainbows and people would cotton onto the way she speaks.

There's a difference between "Queen's English" and just being pretentious. And she doesn't seem well rounded, none of them do. If I was to ever start a YouTube it would not be that boring and plain. Ibz Mo for example shows how a student can be academic but have personality.
I think providing reasons for why she got rejected is really unnecessary.. she always dreamt of going to Oxford so to assume why she hasn't gone because of her being 'Childish' is a bit rude. You wrote about her as if you know her personally.
I agree with the idea that she studies so much, but she enjoys it. Her hobby is studying..which is strange but it is what it is. I'm sure she does other activities that she just doesn't post about because her channel is pretty much all about studying, and people watch her to get motivation. No one would care if she posted a video about her playing sports.. because that isn't what her subscribers are there for.

Obviously, I'm not bashing Ruby- I don't know her, I don't know her life, etc etc. It's merely her image that I'm commenting on and I wish people could understand a debate before they get triggered

But never mind!

Tbh it doesn't seem like you've done anything wrong
There's no objective truths. For example she does do extra curricular. Just attacks on her character.

You're a weirdo for making a TSR post about her too. She's leaps and bounds better than you can ever be

haha tell me something i don't already know!! this post was not from a position of superiority at all so lets get off our high horse and either engage in the debate maturely or not at all!

friendly reminder that you have not been forced to read this and you can always turn off your laptop if you're upset :smile:

But never mind!

You're literally making comments about why she's been rejected, which is obviously very personal for her. You have no right to start debates over some random girl and attack her you pathetic loser.
haha tell me something i don't already know!! this post was not from a position of superiority at all so lets get off our high horse and either engage in the debate maturely or not at all!

friendly reminder that you have not been forced to read this and you can always turn off your laptop if you're upset :smile:

Do you not understand you thick loser? This isnt something you can debate about. How pathetic do you have to be to have debate over some girl you hateful weirdo.
Original post by zaynab1505
I think providing reasons for why she got rejected is really unnecessary.. she always dreamt of going to Oxford so to assume why she hasn't gone because of her being 'Childish' is a bit rude. You wrote about her as if you know her personally.
I agree with the idea that she studies so much, but she enjoys it. Her hobby is studying..which is strange but it is what it is. I'm sure she does other activities that she just doesn't post about because her channel is pretty much all about studying, and people watch her to get motivation. No one would care if she posted a video about her playing sports.. because that isn't what her subscribers are there for.

I take your point on the sport thing

also, my comments are from what her image presents rather than what she is actually like, sorry if it reads in an attacking kind of way, it's just what I've inferred as opposed to fact
Do you not understand you thick loser? This isnt something you can debate about. How pathetic do you have to be to have debate over some girl you hateful weirdo.

apparently quite pathetic as i understand from what you've said

(thanks for labelling me as a hateful weirdo, very mature)

Latest