The Student Room Group

chemistry equilibrium question

The chemist repeated the experiment at the same temperature with 1.00 mol SO2 and an excess of O2. The gas mixture was still compressed to a volume of 250 cm3. State and explain, in terms of Kc, how the equilibrium yield of SO3 would be different from the yield in the first experiment.

can someone help me??
Original post by chem222
The chemist repeated the experiment at the same temperature with 1.00 mol SO2 and an excess of O2. The gas mixture was still compressed to a volume of 250 cm3. State and explain, in terms of Kc, how the equilibrium yield of SO3 would be different from the yield in the first experiment.

can someone help me??

If you decrease the volume you increase the ...
Basically, anything you do to a reaction, the reaction would do OPPOSITE:

example: increase the concentration

the reaction would favor the side with the less concentration

same thing implies to volume and pressure.

remember: catalyst does NOT affect the position of equilibrium
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by EierVonSatan
If you decrease the volume you increase the ...

So in this case I have increased reactants so equilibrium moves to decrease reactans so increase the products so Kc will end up increasing.. is this correct??
thanks a lot!!!
Original post by chem222
So in this case I have increased reactants so equilibrium moves to decrease reactans so increase the products so Kc will end up increasing.. is this correct??
thanks a lot!!!

You have increased the pressure/concentration of the reactants therefore you get more SO3 formed in the reaction and therefore it's concentration also increases.

As a result the value of Kc remains the same (only temperature affects it).
Reply 5
Original post by EierVonSatan
You have increased the pressure/concentration of the reactants therefore you get more SO3 formed in the reaction and therefore it's concentration also increases.

As a result the value of Kc remains the same (only temperature affects it).

Thanks a lot!!!

Quick Reply

Latest