The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Application-Development Studies/International Development

Hi, I am looking to apply for post graduate MSc in International Development/Development Studies/Development Management as an international self funded student. I am not sure of which universities to apply for.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah1302
Hi, I am looking to apply for post graduate MSc in International Development/Development Studies/Development Management as an international self funded student. I am not sure of which universities to apply for. I have a 2.2 gpa which I know is very low but I have had 7 years of work experience in non profit and government sectors in middle east. I have also been a delegate to the UN twice. I got a GRE score of 156 in Verbal and 154 in Quant in 2016. I had applied to SOAS and got rejected. I have been advised to apply to 2nd tier universities but I am very confused which ones may accept me.

You really just need to do your research. Start with looking for unis that offer a course that interests you. Then see what the entry requirements are. Did SOAS give you feedback? Relevant work experience sometimes helps if you have bad grades but not always.
Reply 2
Hi alleycat393,

You are right. I am now doing my research, I had no idea International Development is offered by so many universities. I did not get a feedback from SOAS, but I will ask for it and see what they say. Thank you for your comment.
Reply 3
It can also be the timing. At some unis, places for MSc Dev Studies are filled.

Still 1st tier: Sussex IDS
2nd tier: Manchester, UEA, Glasgow, Nottingham

Would you consider unis in Holland? some have good Dev Studies programmes.
Reply 4
Original post by Tcannon
It can also be the timing. At some unis, places for MSc Dev Studies are filled.

Still 1st tier: Sussex IDS
2nd tier: Manchester, UEA, Glasgow, Nottingham

Would you consider unis in Holland? some have good Dev Studies programmes.

Hi

Do you think it's unwise to consider going to Bath uni if you can go to UEA to do development? I have offers from both unis to do a masters. I want to choose UEA for the course and the department (It's why I applied to it in the first place). Bath seems to have a good quality course too and the uni itself is well regarded. I have a feeling that Bath is a nicer place to be than Norwich. I'm just giving it a final thought. What would you say?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by toask3
Hi

Do you think it's unwise to consider going to Bath uni if you can go to UEA to do development? I have offers from both unis to do a masters. I want to choose UEA for the course and the department (It's why I applied to it in the first place). Bath seems to have a good quality course too and the uni itself is well regarded. I have a feeling that Bath is a nicer place to be than Norwich. I'm just giving it a final thought. What would you say?

Hi I am listing all the other universities that I can apply to that may consider me and I have bath/bristol and UEA on my list. Personally, I think if I were to get an acceptance to all three I would go for bristol because the university and the city sounds great. Between, UEA and Bath, I would choose Bath because as you said Bath seems to be a nicer place. When did you apply ? I see the deadlines are still months away, now I am worried all places may be taken up.
Reply 6
Hi I am listing all the other universities that I can apply to that may consider me and I have bath/bristol and UEA on my list. Personally, I think if I were to get an acceptance to all three I would go for bristol because the university and the city sounds great. Between, UEA and Bath, I would choose Bath because as you said Bath seems to be a nicer place. When did you apply ? I see the deadlines are still months away, now I am worried all places may be taken up.

I applied at the beginning of May. Overseas deadline for Bath is June 30, and for UEA I think July 31. (according to their websites)

UEA is highly regarded for development, which is why I am finding it hard to not take the opportunity of going there. But I needed to think about my options.

Did you check Birmingham? They also have an MSc International Development
I advise all students to look towards web development. This is a very promising direction, you can start with PHP. Look at the successful developers in this direction http://soft-loft.com/services/magento-development/. I wish everyone good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by toask3
Hi

I think you should attend the course with the best fit to your interests and educational development. Bath and UEA MSc DevSt are peer programmes. I spoke to my professor regarding MSc DevSt and he recommended UEA along with Manchester and Nottingham as solid programmes. For my interests, these MSc DevSt are more appealing with research areas. I think Bath is newer to the MSc DevSt and has not produced the research output yet. Bath is more known for Engineering, Sports and Business Studies. Not so much in politics, dev and Int. Relations. Just mho. I visited Bath and it was not my cup of tea. Too touristy and expensive, tight housing situation, locals complain about students (source: see Bath Uni Student Newspaper).
Reply 9
Original post by Tcannon
I think you should attend the course with the best fit to your interests and educational development. Bath and UEA MSc DevSt are peer programmes. I spoke to my professor regarding MSc DevSt and he recommended UEA along with Manchester and Nottingham as solid programmes. For my interests, these MSc DevSt are more appealing with research areas. I think Bath is newer to the MSc DevSt and has not produced the research output yet. Bath is more known for Engineering, Sports and Business Studies. Not so much in politics, dev and Int. Relations. Just mho. I visited Bath and it was not my cup of tea. Too touristy and expensive, tight housing situation, locals complain about students (source: see Bath Uni Student Newspaper).

Thank you for responding and sharing your opinion! :smile: I've chosen UEA for the strength of its program.
Original post by toask3
Thank you for responding and sharing your opinion! :smile: I've chosen UEA for the strength of its program.

Good luck with your studies. Norwich feels more like a normal town with the right size. More affordable housing situation at UEA and you have other towns within easy distance.
Reply 11
Original post by Tcannon
Good luck with your studies. Norwich feels more like a normal town with the right size. More affordable housing situation at UEA and you have other towns within easy distance.

That sounds nice! thank you!
Reply 12
Thank you everyone for your opinion. I got into IDS Sussex and University of Manchester. Its likely I will go for sussex. But I wonder is it easier to find jobs if you are from IDS ? Does it have brand image like that of LSE, SOAS etc ?
Reply 13
Original post by toask3

Congratulations ! UEA sounds like a great program.
Reply 14
Hi Sarah1302! I just applied to Sussex for MA Dev Studies. I wonder how long they process application as I am on a tight deadline in relation to funding. Thanks so much!
Reply 15
HI, it's a little off topic but it's the first time that I finally find people interested in development!!
I wanted to ask you an advice on which uni I should go to. I got uncoditional offers from SOAS for Migration mobility and development MSC, from Sussex for Migration and development MA and from Glasgow for Development studies MSC.
I have a really good feeling about Glasgow but more I think about it,more I become confused!
Ps does it make a big difference taking an MSC competed to a MA?
Thank you so much, sorry for the off topic 😊
Reply 16
Original post by PC1209
Hi Sarah1302! I just applied to Sussex for MA Dev Studies. I wonder how long they process application as I am on a tight deadline in relation to funding. Thanks so much!

They answered me in 1 week 😊 for Migration and development
Reply 17
Hello there
I've a conditional offer for Migration and global development MA, for the Academic year 2019/2020. have you entered this course eventually, and what do you think now about study, social life, and cost of living?
thanks dear
Original post by valecoz
They answered me in 1 week 😊 for Migration and development
Reply 18
Hi, I am looking to apply for post graduate MSc in International Development/Development Studies/Development Management as an international self funded student. I am not sure of which universities to apply forHi

Hello Sara
Can you tell us what was your choice after all?
Reply 19
Thank you everyone for your opinion. I got into IDS Sussex and University of Manchester. Its likely I will go for sussex. But I wonder is it easier to find jobs if you are from IDS ? Does it have brand image like that of LSE, SOAS etc ?

Hey Sarah! Hows it going, I just accepted a place at IDS for september.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending