The Student Room Group

Medicine Clearing 2018

This thread for others like me with 0 offers and trying to get thru by clearing. If i dont get through then gap year 2 it is where i will try for one last time. (Twice in total i didnt apply in yr13 for other reasons) unis did go into clearing in 2017 last year.
Lets see what happens.

AUGUST 6th Update 2018

SGUL OFFER !!
no more gap year 2 haha.

Good luck guys.

August 10th UPDATE!!

Leicester offer!!! Going there now. Rejecting sgul.

Good luck again guys😂
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobwibbles
This thread for others like me with 0 offers and trying to get thru by clearing. If i dont get through then gap year 2 it is where i will try for one last time. (Twice in total) unis went into clearing in 2017 .Lets see what happens.

Have you considered applying to Anglia Ruskin? I think that they're still accepting applications for medicine for 2018 entry. Interviews are going to start soon.
Reply 2
Original post by Stanspam
Have you considered applying to Anglia Ruskin? I think that they're still accepting applications for medicine for 2018 entry. Interviews are going to start soon.

Thanks for that i have applied there but not got my hopes up for an interview due to my below average ukcat. 623 band 3. With achieved AAA. So yeh.. Pretty minimal. Aiming to resit ukcat and improve hopefully. Thanks for the help though.
Thanks for that i have applied there but not got my hopes up for an interview due to my below average ukcat. 623 band 3. With achieved AAA. So yeh.. Pretty minimal. Aiming to resit ukcat and improve hopefully. Thanks for the help though.

Don't lose hope yet! You have the required grades (which I personally think is the hardest step), and your UKCAT is pretty decent, so there isn't really a reason why they should reject you.

Out of interest though, which unis did you apply to during your gap year, and where do you think it might've went wrong?
SGUL was in clearing last year...so they might be again this year??
Reply 5
Original post by Stanspam
Don't lose hope yet! You have the required grades (which I personally think is the hardest step), and your UKCAT is pretty decent, so there isn't really a reason why they should reject you.

Out of interest though, which unis did you apply to during your gap year, and where do you think it might've went wrong?

I applied to lancaster where i had my one and only interview which i failed due to bad interview as I wasnt confident enough to speak over other people in the group task as they were leading the show. And i had some other bad stations and so got rejected.
Also applied to bristol bsms and manchester all rejections with no interviews. I should have applied liverpool and plymouth where i wud of had bettrr chance or guaranteed interview (plymouth ukcat cut off 600).

So yeh. Bad choices and bad interview. And bad ukcat and bmat (bmat for lanc and bsms)
I applied to lancaster where i had my one and only interview which i failed due to bad interview as I wasnt confident enough to speak over other people in the group task as they were leading the show. And i had some other bad stations and so got rejected.
Also applied to bristol bsms and manchester all rejections with no interviews. I should have applied liverpool and plymouth where i wud of had bettrr chance or guaranteed interview (plymouth ukcat cut off 600).

So yeh. Bad choices and bad interview. And bad ukcat and bmat (bmat for lanc and bsms)

Plymouth would be a great choice, and the interview is a panel, which a lot of people find easier than MMIs.

Clearing is a good option though, at least for the interview experience. SGUL and Liverpool offered it last year, but apparently some other unis also gave out interviews but didn't advertise through UCAS, like Leicester, so it's definitely worth calling other med schools on results day.

Best of luck!
hi I have AAA and could not get in .my UK cat is 680 do you think I should apply to anglia Ruskin
I think they’ve stopped taking in applications now :/. Always worth contacting them to ask if they’re but accepting any other applicant as they’ve actually started to send out interviews this week
Reply 9
Just wait for clearing 2018. Call unis big chance of atleast 1 or 2 interviews at the minimum.

August 4 update:
Well i was right😏😂
I had 2 interviews in clearing. Although i did horribly in both.. Its a good learning experience.
I had ukcat 650 AAA achieved 10A gcse and got SGUL and Leicester interviews in clearing.
For those who are wondering.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just wait for clearing 2018. Call unis big chance of atleast 1 or 2 interviews at the minimum.

depending on your A level results, you could always still end up going to uni for a different degree eg. biochem, and also apply in your first year of uni for medicine. Plymuth, Exeter and BSMS offer this. Its worth considering 🤷🏻*♂️
Original post by Hamzah_ali98
depending on your A level results, you could always still end up going to uni for a different degree eg. biochem, and also apply in your first year of uni for medicine. Plymuth, Exeter and BSMS offer this. Its worth considering 🤷🏻*♂️

Wow that definitely is worth considering i knew about bsms doing this but not plym or exeter.
Is this for any medically sciencey related degree you can apply with?
Wow that definitely is worth considering i knew about bsms doing this but not plym or exeter.
Is this for any medically sciencey related degree you can apply with?

As far as I am aware, they're only interested in your A-level results and UKCAT/BMAT. When I enquired with them, BSMS said that any offers given to people in the first year of study are on the condition of 60% of the degree. Not too sure about the others or what degrees they consider.
decent.
Original post by Hamzah_ali98
As far as I am aware, they're only interested in your A-level results and UKCAT/BMAT. When I enquired with them, BSMS said that any offers given to people in the first year of study are on the condition of 60% of the degree. Not too sure about the others or what degrees they consider.
If you do apply again next year-then properly consider your UKCAT score when choosing the unis. Adapt the uni's you apply to based on how well you did in the UKCAT
Original post by AzureCeleste
If you do apply again next year-then properly consider your UKCAT score when choosing the unis. Adapt the uni's you apply to based on how well you did in the UKCAT

yes thanks i definitely will. My teachers didnt exactly guide me very well. This time ill go with my gut and previous ukcat cut offs.
Hi has anyone had any interview offer from anglia Ruskin . I did not even know that I could apply . I still sent my application see what happens
Original post by Syed Rizvi
Hi has anyone had any interview offer from anglia Ruskin . I did not even know that I could apply . I still sent my application see what happens

Did u get an interview?
Did u get an interview?

No have not heard my tutor was asked for refrence have you heard anything
Original post by Syed Rizvi
No have not heard my tutor was asked for refrence have you heard anything

I have had my interview yesterday. It was really tough. Not expecting much...

Latest

Trending

Trending