The Student Room Group

Anyone doing Pride and Prejudice??

I cant seem to find anyone else doing Pride and Prejudice! If you are how are you finding it? I did it in year 10 but looking back at my notes, i literally have nothing useful. Any help???

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I completed my GCSEs earlier this year and did Pride and Prejudice for my english lit. Do you have the CGP guide for this novel? I found it extremely useful!
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
Hi,
I completed my GCSEs earlier this year and did Pride and Prejudice for my english lit. Do you have the CGP guide for this novel? I found it extremely useful!

What grade did you get ?
Hi I’m actually doing P&P as well! I’m also screwed for this exam, but I’ve put some quotes on sticky notes and have stuck them on my wall. Hopefully that will help me remember them a bit better.
I’m predicted a 7 which I just managed to scrape in my mock, no idea if I can get it for real this time. Good luck to anyone doing English lit this week!
Original post by bluemuffin
Hi I’m actually doing P&P as well! I’m also screwed for this exam, but I’ve put some quotes on sticky notes and have stuck them on my wall. Hopefully that will help me remember them a bit better.
I’m predicted a 7 which I just managed to scrape in my mock, no idea if I can get it for real this time. Good luck to anyone doing English lit this week!

I got an 8 in mine but that was purely due to low grade boundaries! I’m just hoping we don’t get a hard question :frown:
Does anyone think there will be a question on mr wickham or mr Bingley
I’m thinking it’s more likely to be a theme-based question like marriage, propriety or first impressions but it could be anything

Original post by Farhana001
Does anyone think there will be a question on mr wickham or mr Bingley
Original post by bluemuffin
I’m thinking it’s more likely to be a theme-based question like marriage, propriety or first impressions but it could be anything

what they've started doing with most of the texts is picking out a character and a theme and asking you to link them together- which is realllllllllyyy annoying.
Original post by sxhxl
what they've started doing with most of the texts is picking out a character and a theme and asking you to link them together- which is realllllllllyyy annoying.

Hmm okay it could be about mr Collins and satire or assumptions made by society
Also last year the question about Macbeth was about ambition not relating to any character in general so not always
What grade did you get ?

8 in both lit and lang
Do you have any tips how to get that in pride and prejudice ? Would you say to analyze words in your quote as long as context and good understanding of the book ? It’s my worst book and I think it might affect my grade
8 in both lit and lang

^^ also is it true they’re more lenient with pride and prejudice because it’s harder
^^ also is it true they’re more lenient with pride and prejudice because it’s harder

I don't think so - there was a 20 mark or so essay about the use of letters in the novel last year for edexcel..
Do you have any tips how to get that in pride and prejudice ? Would you say to analyze words in your quote as long as context and good understanding of the book ? It’s my worst book and I think it might affect my grade

What exam board are you doing? For edexcel you only need context for the plays not the novels. It's really important to talk about SITE - the different settings, ideas, themes and events. Make paragraphs on each and choose few quotes that you explain broadly, picking out key literary devices, language and structure, and linking it to the writer's purpose.
What exam board are you doing? For edexcel you only need context for the plays not the novels. It's really important to talk about SITE - the different settings, ideas, themes and events. Make paragraphs on each and choose few quotes that you explain broadly, picking out key literary devices, language and structure, and linking it to the writer's purpose.

I do aqa and we have to learn context for both aha but thank you for the advice ! I think the marking criteria is similar so I will definitely use peeleac and site 😀
Original post by sxhxl
I cant seem to find anyone else doing Pride and Prejudice! If you are how are you finding it? I did it in year 10 but looking back at my notes, i literally have nothing useful. Any help???

god, pride and prejudice has turned out to be my favourite text out of the ones i'm doing! i would say to have the best advantage simply ensure you know the plot, characters and themes absolutely inside out: memorising key quotes is very much a last-minute, cramming job imo, and won't really help if you dont understand the text. even spending an hour just reading a start- to-finish plot synopsis actually really helped refresh my memory and helped me understand when i went into analysing after?? i mean, if you just google "key points about mr darcy" youre not likely to a) feel engaged/interested and b) actually retain much of it. simply knowing the context and general plot of the novel itself can actually help you an insane amount, dont underestimate it! it's also quite relaxing imo - a more passive way of revision. perhaps you could also read others' exemplar essays? seeing different interpretations is often very helpful.
our mock was only on paper 2 english literature, so annoyingly i don't know what my skills in timed conditions are... my teacher does predict me a 9 though, so im incredibly anxious for tomorrow as i dont want to let her and myself down lol. best of luck to you and im sure youll smash it!!!!
I do aqa and we have to learn context for both aha but thank you for the advice ! I think the marking criteria is similar so I will definitely use peeleac and site 😀

No problem, best of luck!
Yep, I'm doing it! I'm really scared for tomorrow, I've been learning as many themes/key quotes/key features/characters etc as I can, but I'm terrified they'll ask one I've missed out or haven't prepared, and I'll completely blank. Does anyone have any predictions of what might come up?
Original post by mfreeman224
Yep, I'm doing it! I'm really scared for tomorrow, I've been learning as many themes/key quotes/key features/characters etc as I can, but I'm terrified they'll ask one I've missed out or haven't prepared, and I'll completely blank. Does anyone have any predictions of what might come up?

I rlly have a feeling it’s going to be Lydia/Collins/wickham if it’s a character but I’m hoping it’s a theme!
Original post by sxhxl
I rlly have a feeling it’s going to be Lydia/Collins/wickham if it’s a character but I’m hoping it’s a theme!

I hope not they’re not really main characters if it’s marriage or love that would be ideal 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending