The Student Room Group

Computer Science Cambridge

I would like to study Computing at Cambridge and I want to know the acceptance stats. Also, do they accept gap years? How would I find out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Δa/Δt
I would like to study Computing at Cambridge and I want to know the acceptance stats. Also, do they accept gap years? How would I find out?

From the website where the entry requirements are. And yes they will accept people on gap years, Retakes may be an issue for some subjects but check the website.

One of the hardest courses to get an offer for - I believe around 15% of applicants get an offer for it.

They do.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
From the website where the entry requirements are. And yes they will accept people on gap years, Retakes may be an issue for some subjects but check the website.

Wow the response time in this forum is impressive.

I would like your advice about revision especially for maths. Is note taking worth it? I find that it wastes a lot of time even in science subjects, is it possible to revise and get 3A* on Phsyics, Maths and Chemistry by constant practise and just simply making short notes. This stuff is stressing me out.

I would like your advice about revision especially for maths. Is note taking worth it? I find that it wastes a lot of time even in science subjects, is it possible to revise and get 3A* on Phsyics, Maths and Chemistry by constant practise and just simply making short notes. This stuff is stressing me out.

It really depends on you and your study style. If it helps you to go over things again or even when you are revising go for it. If you think it wastes time and would rather just study from texts/revision guides then do that.
Reply 5
Original post by Kyber Ninja
One of the hardest courses to get an offer for - I believe around 15% of applicants get an offer for it.

They do.

Damn......

How would one prepare then? That is, in terms of work experience, further reading and personal statement?
Reply 6
It really depends on you and your study style. If it helps you to go over things again or even when you are revising go for it. If you think it wastes time and would rather just study from texts/revision guides then do that.

I have a problem with procrastination :frown:

I always end up doing less than I want to, this is why note taking isn't as effective.

My question is what method do you use. I want to see how the top students work. They seem to keep their cards close to there chests in my school, claiming that they never revise, which puts me off.
Damn......

How would one prepare then? That is, in terms of work experience, further reading and personal statement?

You have to sit the CSAT (It's an entrance exam). Work experience and PS don't matter too much - it's all based on academics. First priority should be getting A*A*A predictions and a good CSAT score. Then do well on the interview.

I would strongly recommend doing Further Mathematics to some degree, it would help you with the CSAT and getting admitted in general
Reply 8
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You have to sit the CSAT (It's an entrance exam). Work experience and PS don't matter too much - it's all based on academics. First priority should be getting A*A*A predictions and a good CSAT score. Then do well on the interview.

I would strongly recommend doing Further Mathematics to some degree, it would help you with the CSAT and getting admitted in general

How do I master mathematics?

Also, in my gap year I'll do further mathematics.
I have a problem with procrastination :frown:

I always end up doing less than I want to, this is why note taking isn't as effective.

My question is what method do you use. I want to see how the top students work. They seem to keep their cards close to there chests in my school, claiming that they never revise, which puts me off.

Trying to mirror what other people do unless it works for you is not going to help unfortunately and you will find that when you get to uni it will be even more difficult when you have lots of juggle. You will have to work out your own study style. I finished studying a long time ago (education profile in my signature above).
I am doing Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.

I want an A*A*A* which, unfortunately is easier said than done.

Please give me an efficient way to approach this. Any help will be more than appreciated.
How do I master mathematics?

Also, in my gap year I'll do further mathematics.

Lots and lots of practise. Do past papers from every exam board. Once you're up to A* standard in Maths and Further Maths, consider practising STEP papers
Trying to mirror what other people do unless it works for you is not going to help unfortunately and you will find that when you get to uni it will be even more difficult when you have lots of juggle. You will have to work out your own study style. I finished studying a long time ago (education profile in my signature above).

Bummer........

But can you at least give me a rough idea? Please, I really want this!

Lots of practice. These subjects are far more about learning the processes than memorising content. I barely ever looked back at my class notes for Maths but I still got an A*. The key is repeatedly practicing the important skills (e.g. chain rule, product rule, quotient rule) until you barely have to think about them. They should become almost as familiar as multiplying and dividing. Once you've sorted those, get familiar with exam-style questions because you also have to be able to spot which skill to use in each situation.

Trying to do well at Maths while subsisting entirely on notes is like trying to learn to swim without ever going into the water.
Reply 14
Your STEP score matters a lot. You need 1 in both STEP I and STEP II.
Though Oxford is way better for CS.....(lesser no. of seats, lot of interaction with your tutor,very very theoretical as compared to Cambridge,more 'reputed').
A*AA is more like a predicted requirement. You need an A*A*A in reality as colleges usually do not give offers below 40 IB points (which translates to A*A*A and not A*AA). Getting an offer is not the same as being accepted to read CS.
Original post by r_gup
Your STEP score matters a lot. You need 1 in both STEP I and STEP II.
Though Oxford is way better for CS.....(lesser no. of seats, lot of interaction with your tutor,very very theoretical as compared to Cambridge,more 'reputed':wink:.
A*AA is more like a predicted requirement. You need an A*A*A in reality as colleges usually do not give offers below 40 IB points (which translates to A*A*A and not A*AA). Getting an offer is not the same as being accepted to read CS.

It says in the website that the entry requirements are A*A*A.
Reply 16
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
It says in the website that the entry requirements are A*A*A.

You will be asked to sit the STEP I or STEP II in your offer, irrespective of your A-levels.
Original post by r_gup
You will be asked to sit the STEP I or STEP II in your offer, irrespective of your A-levels.

No you won't, for the 75% CS or the with natural sci option they don't give you a STEP offer, for the CS with maths they give you an offer on STEP II and STEP III. But even then the offers are often a 1 and a 2 or they if you get a 1, 1 offer and you miss the STEP offer they give you a fallback of a 75% or with Natural Sciences offer.
Also all A Level offers will be at least A*A*A, sometimes on 4 subjects, and sometimes with the grades being required in certain subjects. If you are applying they will expect you to be predicted at least A*A*A, the same as all sciences at Cambridge
Reply 18
Original post by Faction Paradox
No you won't, for the 75% CS or the with natural sci option they don't give you a STEP offer, for the CS with maths they give you an offer on STEP II and STEP III. But even then the offers are often a 1 and a 2 or they if you get a 1, 1 offer and you miss the STEP offer they give you a fallback of a 75% or with Natural Sciences offer.
Also all A Level offers will be at least A*A*A, sometimes on 4 subjects, and sometimes with the grades being required in certain subjects. If you are applying they will expect you to be predicted at least A*A*A, the same as all sciences at Cambridge

I agree. It is only for the 50-50 Maths CS or 75-25 Maths CS degree.
Original post by r_gup
I agree. It is only for the 50-50 Maths CS or 75-25 Maths CS degree.

There isn't a 75% Maths 25% computer science option. You can do 75% CS (where the 25% is the natsci maths paper) or you can do 50% maths papers 50% CS papers or you can take a NatSci paper instead of CS paper 3 in the first year.

It takes about 5 minutes looking at the website to find this out. I don't know where you have got your information from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending