The Student Room Group

Drama A2 and theatre studies Edexcel paper

Hi I am really struggling with the 24 mark question at the end of the paper I’m doing Bertolt Brecht, his methodologies and have to link them to Richard Brinkley Sheridan’s school for scandal I am really struggling on how to describe why I have used my set design if people can give me ideas on how to link the themes of the play to his methodologies that would be great
I'm doing Brecht too but we're doing a different play so I can only advise you how to apply it generally. Brecht liked political satire, so perhaps if the play has elements of satire you could apply it there by just mentioning "... this reflects the Brecht methodology of using elements of satire." For more specific set things, maybe use elements of metal and scaffolding in your set because Brecht used this style of set, and when you explain it just write you took inspiration from set. He also had one piece of set reflect a lot of different things, e.g a chair might be used as a car too. The easiest way to do it is to have your set design completely based around his methodologies.

I tend to do this structure:
1. The idea or thing I'm doing
2. What the audience impact of this thing will be
3. How this thing links to Brecht or how it differs
4. How the thing links to original performance conditions or doesn't and what they would have done during the original one.
Thank you could I pick your brains again about the original performance conditions as I am unsure about it
Original post by Cole_carrington
Thank you could I pick your brains again about the original performance conditions as I am unsure about it

Basically, for each point you make you have to give reference to how it would have been done originally. So if we're talking about set if your point is that you are using scaffolding to create levels, you mention how in the original performance conditions levels would have been created. E.g did they use stairs, did they use a crane, or did they not use levels at all and the actors had to create levels themselves by standing tall or sitting down.

It's the same with other aspects. If you choose to use Gestus in a acting question because Brecht used it you have to give a nod as to how in the original period actors would reveal aspects of their character or did they not. E.g was naturalistic acting used or monologues. Even if you aren't using a thing from the original performance conditions a sentence about how they would have done it instead should suffice. I hope this helps. Being the first year to do a new spec is scary and I'm worried about it too.
Thank you so much Emily so one last question now I promise what have you gone for, for the other play we are doing colder than here by laura wade
Original post by Cole_carrington
Thank you so much Emily so one last question now I promise what have you gone for, for the other play we are doing colder than here by laura wade

I'm doing Accidental Death of an Anarchist by Dario Fo. I'm not a fan of comedies and this is the worst play I've ever studied, but I'll be glad when it's over and done with. The play I'm doing for the 24 marker is Lysistrata, which is another comedy. Yeah, I'm all comedied out.
Oh i feel you mine are both comedies but one is set in the 1700’s and the other in modern times can’t wait for it all too be over
Reply 7
Hi I'm studying Lysistrata with Brecht and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on structuring their essays for the 24 marker such as what to include in your intro etc.
Reply 8
Is anyone studying Antigone
Reply 9
Original post by xEmilyxx
I'm doing Accidental Death of an Anarchist by Dario Fo. I'm not a fan of comedies and this is the worst play I've ever studied, but I'll be glad when it's over and done with. The play I'm doing for the 24 marker is Lysistrata, which is another comedy. Yeah, I'm all comedied out.

I am struggling with how to structure my Dario Fo essay , could you provide any help?
Reply 10
I am super nervous for tomorrow.

I'm doing That Face (I feel okay about this), Things I Know To Be True for Live Review (Thank goodness this production was recorded, I'm going to watch it tonight to jog my brain) and then Lysistrata with Stephen Berkoff

We used to do Stephen Berkoff with a different play at my school, so they continued it over to Lysistrata and they really are not a good mesh at all. I wish we had a different practitioner - like Joan Littlewood.

I also bloody hate Lysistrata - like it is probably my least favourite play of all time.

How do you guys sort out timings - I definitely think that is the most difficult part of the exam: 4 essays in 2 and a half hours is tough! I do 40 mins section A, 1 hour section B and 50 minutes section C.

For Section C, does anyone have a list or an idea of the different sort of aspects of direction they could ask us about? We have only done a question on acting styles and set so I'm really not sure.
Hello, I'm doing the same plays you're doing for every section, the only difference is that for Lys I'm doing Brecht.I'm doing basically the same timings as you for each section but sometimes I give sec B 5 extra mins. For Lysistrata they can ask you about many things e.g. characterisation, interpretation of one key role, staging/ stage space, voice and/ or physicality, sound, set, costume and i think thats about it so just make sure you have a plan on thew key ones stated above in relation to your practitioner and the OPC. i hope I helped, good luck tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest