The Student Room Group

Anyone do CIE English Lit IGCSE?

I've seen a dozen AQA threads, but no major ones on CIE.

I'm doing Songs of Ourselves (Vol 1 Part 5 including One Art etc.) and Hard Times. To my knowledge, The Trees and Elegy For My Father's Father are the only poems which haven't appeared in exams yet, and for Hard Times I really hope we get an extract with Louisa and Harthouse, or Louisa and Sissy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldfvnch

I'm doing Songs of Ourselves (Vol 1 Part 5 including One Art etc.) and Hard Times

Omg finally someone's doing the same poems as me. I really hope Elegy for My Father's Father isn't gonna come up, I'm praying for one of the war poems like Attack or Anthem for Doomed Youth.
Reply 2
Original post by yellowcalculator
Omg finally someone's doing the same poems as me. I really hope Elegy for My Father's Father isn't gonna come up, I'm praying for one of the war poems like Attack or Anthem for Doomed Youth.

Yeah Attack is one I'm quite confident in, not keen on Anthem though. Also I'm hoping they don't test us on Tears Idle Tears
Reply 3
How do you know that they haven't appeared on any exams? If not, probably high possibility of at least one of them showing up :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Clave
How do you know that they haven't appeared on any exams? If not, probably high possibility of at least one of them showing up :smile:

I've basically looked up all six papers (3 from 2017 and 3 from Feb 2018). But the thing is there are 3 different papers each with two poem choices for different time zones so it's not 100% guaranteed. Because I Could Not Stop has come up twice, so I think it's safe to say that we won't get that this year.
Reply 5
I've basically looked up all six papers (3 from 2017 and 3 from Feb 2018). But the thing is there are 3 different papers each with two poem choices for different time zones so it's not 100% guaranteed. Because I Could Not Stop has come up twice, so I think it's safe to say that we won't get that this year.

Do you think there is a high possibility of a war poem coming up?
I just finished it omg, I feel like there was so little time ughghgh :frown:
which poem u pick, and which point u make?
Original post by adasdasdas

I did Cold In the Earth

- How far, far removed her lover is

- How much she meant to her

- Her trying to forget as a coping mechanism

I did Cold in The Earth

I talked about how the structure of the poem showed her conflicting feelings and the length of time passed.
I said how through imagery we see that her grief consumed her and how difficult it is for her to move on and find happiness.
I also said how her tone and the theme of Time showed that she wants to move on but her grief is holding her back and she's scared etc etc.

Cold In the Earth

How she develops a loud auditory image through her voice = pain, distance.
The regular rhyme scheme and iambic pentameter reflecting the regularity and pattern of her feelings coming and going.
Cosmological imagery to showcase the magnitude of her lover and how his lost created this vacuum effect = size of the feeling of grief.
The amount of time passed and the time of year where the feelings of grief are the most intense. ("fifteen wild Decembers" etc..)
Don't remember any of the rest xD
Reply 11

Cold In The Earth
1. The coldness of the winter setting contrasted with the warmth/passion of her lover (imagery of stars, sun, golden dreams etc.) + how the snow creates a barrier between her and her lover (separation) and evokes her pain and loss
2. Imagery of time compared to water + its power over her + natural imagery of snow melting into brown hills, suggesting that it's natural to move on from grief yet she's unwilling to do so
3. How her grief was addictive (rapturous pain, divinest anguish etc.) and linked it to Stoicism (ideology of emotional control; life should still be "cherished without aid of joy")
(edited 5 years ago)

Seriously, did anyone do Trees? I picked it, but wasn’t entirely sure on how to go about answering the question..but mainly focused on Larkin's uncertainty and deliberately leaving stanza 3 open to interpretation.
oh
I'm doing Songs of Ourselves (Vol 1 Part 5 including One Art etc.) and Hard Times. To my knowledge, The Trees and Elegy For My Father's Father are the only poems which haven't appeared in exams yet, and for Hard Times I really hope we get an extract with Louisa and Harthouse, or Louisa and Sissy.

hi yeah i did cie we had the poetry and prose exam today, i did hard times but with different poems to you, e.g lion heart and for my grandmother knitting, how do you think it went? x
Reply 14
Original post by dankmemer
Seriously, did anyone do Trees? I picked it, but wasn’t entirely sure on how to go about answering the question..but mainly focused on Larkin's uncertainty and deliberately leaving stanza 3 open to interpretation.

Yeah I did the trees as well. Cold in the earth was way too much analysis in way too less time. I mentioned what you did as well as the fact that he had a fickle mind and kept changing his feelings about the trees
Reply 15
Hey, is anyone doing the Macbeth (open text) and Unseen exams tomorrow?
Reply 16
Hey, is anyone doing the Macbeth (open text) and Unseen exams tomorrow?

Yup!! No clue about whats coming up though. Do you have any ideas??
Reply 17
Original post by ceceksc
Yup!! No clue about whats coming up though. Do you have any ideas??

Really hope it's on Lady Macbeth or Macbeth's Ambition. Apparently in Feb 2018 act 1 scene 4 was the passage based if that helps? Anyway, there's a lot of threads from people who do AQA who had their exam on Tuesday which might be helpful.
Hey I’m doing paper 22 tomorrow. Ps : I don’t like macbeth very much but i do hope to get over it soon. Good luck guys!
Reply 19
Really hope it's on Lady Macbeth or Macbeth's Ambition. Apparently in Feb 2018 act 1 scene 4 was the passage based if that helps? Anyway, there's a lot of threads from people who do AQA who had their exam on Tuesday which might be helpful.

same I really really hope its about machete, or the witches / power / the patriarchy etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending