The Student Room Group

English GCSE of mice and men and unseen prose

I have my english GCSE tomorrow for Of Mice and Men and Unseen Prose... does anyone have any advice please on learning quotes and techniques? or anything else haha I'm really stressing!!! thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I know how you feel I have the exam tomorrow too! Whenever I try to learn things I usually pace my room and repeat each sentence or word 5 or more times then I move on to the next bit and follow the same pattern. After I've repeated 3 or 4 quotes I will go back to the first one and say them all and see if I remember it. Its a bit of a weird method though it might work. If your really stressing look at websites like shoomp or spark notes and pick out key quotes, then just write them out to get them in your head or record yourself saying them. Hope this helps and if your really stressed take a break to clear your head :smile:
Reply 2
Also check out mr sales teaches English on youtube
don't bother with long quotes, and always reference steinbeck in every paragraph. also, use P L E A...Point Language Evidence Analysis
Reply 4
Original post by finn26_
I know how you feel I have the exam tomorrow too! Whenever I try to learn things I usually pace my room and repeat each sentence or word 5 or more times then I move on to the next bit and follow the same pattern. After I've repeated 3 or 4 quotes I will go back to the first one and say them all and see if I remember it. Its a bit of a weird method though it might work. If your really stressing look at websites like shoomp or spark notes and pick out key quotes, then just write them out to get them in your head or record yourself saying them. Hope this helps and if your really stressed take a break to clear your head :smile:

Thanks so much! I just tried it and it totally worked thanks so much I really appreciate it 😁
Reply 5
Original post by gcse201819ni
don't bother with long quotes, and always reference steinbeck in every paragraph. also, use P L E A...Point Language Evidence Analysis

Thanks so much that will definitely help :h:
How did you find it? I thought the unseen prose was awful...
Reply 7
yeah Im so glad that crooks came up but unseen prose was so bad like I had no idea what to analyse
Wait...I thought you weren't allowed to study American texts for GCSE English Lit anymore...?!?!
Yeah I agree the of mice and men questions were great but adventures of Tom Sawyer was just so different compared to what we had done in class
Reply 10
I know it was so different we had been practising stuff on Charles dickens and Charlotte Bronte
Same, loads of people think the same as us so hopefully the grade boundaries will go down
Reply 12
I think they are gonna be quite low in all subjects cause the majority have new specs
Reply 13
How did you find it? I thought the unseen prose was awful...

Yeah I agree the unseen prose was so bad I couldn't find like any techniques :frown:
but I didn't mind of mice and men...
Reply 14
Same, loads of people think the same as us so hopefully the grade boundaries will go down

My teacher wasn't happy about tom sawyer and said she could barely find any techniques and also said it was stupid how we had both as American lit so hopefully everyone feels the same ahah
Aw well if the whole country found it hard they will standardise it and we’ll be fine
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Lemur14
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending