The Student Room Group

Aqa a level business 2018 thread

Hi all!

I'm here starting a thread offering help for year 13's taking the 2018 AQA A level business. I took the 2017 exam and got an A*!

Being an entirely new spec and exam, it was so difficult to grasp technique especially with zero exemplars, invisible grade boundaries and NO ONE from older years to get advice from. So i'm offering all the help that I couldn't get whilst doing my exam, this includes 1-1, my own resources and bank of answers. Send me a message & let me see how I can help you through this year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I'm doing the A-level Business AQA course as of this September,im year 12 not 13 but I'm keeping up with this thread because I know it might help me:smile:.
Reply 2
can you please upload your resources. I am really struggling with this course
Reply 3
Original post by jjlife888
Hi all!

I'm here starting a thread offering help for year 13's taking the 2018 AQA A level business. I took the 2017 exam and got an A*!

Being an entirely new spec and exam, it was so difficult to grasp technique especially with zero exemplars, invisible grade boundaries and NO ONE from older years to get advice from. So i'm offering all the help that I couldn't get whilst doing my exam, this includes 1-1, my own resources and bank of answers. Send me a message & let me see how I can help you through this year :smile:

I've messaged you about sending me some of your notes, please reply back.
Can you please send me Some resources
Reply 5
do you have any predictions for tomorrow’s paper
Reply 6
Hi, I’m really struggling with revision and they key bits to revise. Could you help me please ?
Reply 7
Original post by maz14
do you have any predictions for tomorrow’s paper

Are you doing AQA A2 business?
Reply 8
yes
Reply 9
Original post by maz14
yes

Isnt the first exam in June?
Reply 10
Are you guys using the cgp revision guides and do you think they’re useful?
Reply 11
Hi i would like to know what resourses you used and what techniques and tips to remember information
Reply 12
Original post by Wow121
Hi i would like to know what resourses you used and what techniques and tips to remember information

Same
Reply 13
Guys does consequences mean either advantage or disadvantage? Or just disadvantage?
Original post by sobiaz
Guys does consequences mean either advantage or disadvantage? Or just disadvantage?

Both. I do Edexcel Business but i think all business spec are similar... as we have same structure for our answers, anyways:

Even if a question in the exam says “assess the benefits... of something”

Do benefits AND the disadvantages. At all times, as they love a balanced arguement.

Currently attempting questions and came across this 24 marker: "AST plc's (the business in the case study) organisational culture has been criticised for being risk-averse. To what extent is organisational culture the most important factor in determining the long-term success of all businesses?"
Got a point on handys national cultures and how a high level of long term orientation would increases long term succes but struggling for what else to say.....

Reply 16
Original post by barney.jones1

Currently attempting questions and came across this 24 marker: "AST plc's (the business in the case study) organisational culture has been criticised for being risk-averse. To what extent is organisational culture the most important factor in determining the long-term success of all businesses?"
Got a point on handys national cultures and how a high level of long term orientation would increases long term succes but struggling for what else to say.....

Can you say its an important factor because with a risk averse culture, a business is less likely to bring changes to different areas which means when a change arises from external factors eg. Economic conditions (can’t be controlled by business) the business would find it more difficult to manage and adapt to the change and there would also be more resistance to change since employees would’ve always worked in the same way so any change might require for them to work in a different way etc. This prevents long term success if a business cant adapt to changes so an organisational culture should adopt a risk-tolerant culture for long term success

However, long term success of a business isn’t only dependant on organisational culture of a business. You could say it depends on internal and external factors like market conditions, finances, corporate values, laws, technological changes etc. E.g if market conditions bad then business wont be successful or with technology its becoming more advanced and developing at a faster rate which means business constantly needs to invest in new technology to be able to meet needs/ demands of customers and make the business more efficient. If a business is more efficient than competitors and able to produce goods and services at a faster rate then it would have a competitive advantage as it would be able to produce and sell goods to customers at a faster rate, increasing sales and market share and improving long-term success of business considering competitors would be slower at providing the goods/services so business can charge higher prices until competitors are able to provide same goods to improve profitability and then decrease prices to make them lower than competitors once they start selling their products to increase sales further and attract more customers.

I’m chatting pure **** but this is what I would say😭 I haven’t really revised business apart from reading the book once so I don’t know if it would be the correct reasons
Hi can you predict what's coming up tomorrow? please!
Original post by Kate andreas
Hi can you predict what's coming up tomorrow? please!

Last year's paper had a very small amount of Unit 10 on there, could come up on the other 2 papers but i would say that its worth revising
Original post by faisza
Guys what is gearing?? And how do you answer gearing type questions?

Gearing is the ability of a business to remain solvent in the long-run. You calculate it by dividing non-current liabilities by capital employed (non current-liabilities+total equity) and multiplying that by 100.

Remember that the normal range usually lies between 25 and 50%, but this isn't always the case. A business is more likely to be highly geared if interest rates are low, so they will usually spend more on capital expenditure (on assets such as machinery and factories, perhaps). If a firm is over-geared, however, this could suggest that a business isn't spending enough on current assets (maybe on inventory, for example). So they'll have all the necessary equipment, but not have the stock to actually produce! Being too lowly-geared of course can be a major issue, too. Particularly, for example, if there's a sudden surge in demand. They may go through a period known as 'over-trading', whereby the business at hand cannot cope with the level of demand as they don't have a high enough capacity. Of course, this means the business has a capacity shortage.

So, in terms of answering a question based on gearing, it really does depend whether they're simply asking for a calculation, or wanting us to elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages. If they do ask us to simply calculate, they will usually want some form of analysis. E.g. if a company has a gearing rate of 18%, you could then comment 'this business's gearing ratio is under the normal range, in which case they should perhaps consider investing more in non-current liabilities'. It does of course, as always, depend on the nature and market situation of the business. Their return on capital employed might suggest they're coping well, despite this seemingly unhealthy gearing ratio. So, just always make sure you're considering all financial aspects when coming to a conclusion/analysis.

:smile:

Good luckkk!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending