The Student Room Group

GCSE Physics - Resistance

When the temperature of a resistor increase, does the resistance increase because the positive metal ions are vibrating more which means more electrons are colliding into them
I don't know but sounds right :smile:
Also, nuclear radiation. I'm confused which type of nuclear radiation is the most dangerous. Is alpha the most dangerous if it gets inside your body whilst beta is the most dangerous outside your body
Reply 3
Original post by roadrunner98
Also, nuclear radiation. I'm confused which type of nuclear radiation is the most dangerous. Is alpha the most dangerous if it gets inside your body whilst beta is the most dangerous outside your body

Alpha is the most ionising so it is the most dangerous inside the body and gamma is the most penetrating so it is the most dangerous outside the body
Resistance causes temperature to increase yes. As the electrons flow, they cause frequent collisions in the positive lattice structure in the resistor. More collision between ions disallows electric current to pass
Original post by baffed
Alpha is the most ionising so it is the most dangerous inside the body and gamma is the most penetrating so it is the most dangerous outside the body

Original post by DenzoBenzo
Resistance causes temperature to increase yes. As the electrons flow, they cause frequent collisions in the positive lattice structure in the resistor. More collision between ions disallows electric current to pass

Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest