The Student Room Group

AQA Politics GOVP1 Predictions

Hey,

Does anyone have any predictions for questions on Topic 1 (Participation and Voting Behaviour) and for Topic 2 (Electoral Systems)?

(edited 5 years ago)
Are u retaking?? I am too! I presume there wont be a referendums question as it made up all of last years electoral systems question but u never know
Reply 2
I'm sitting AS and A2 for the first time this year! I think they might recycle a lot of questions this year since it's the last year of the exam :smile:
Same @calderar ! Thought I was one of the only few taking this as government is a subject people usually pass so not many retake. I feel like they may base this years one on one from before 2013 as you rightly said, it's the last year.
Either that or I think it'll have to do with brexit (hoping not)
Does anyone have any predictions for GOVP2 parliament and core executive?
Can someone explain why the use of referendums has increased since 1997???
Reply 6
Original post by AnALevelStudent
Can someone explain why the use of referendums has increased since 1997???

- rise in controversial issues
- rise in informal politics than formal: 38 degrees (UK campaign group has 2.5 million members whereas, the Labour Party has 552,000 members) has more members - shift from party membership to pressure group (so influence of pressure groups is higher)
- role of mass media
- increasing political participation: general elections are fixed term - without referendums it will lead to voter fatigue
- increased internet access: people are becoming more aware and are putting their views forward
- increase in single issues: people are more attracted to individual decision making and action than group

HOWEVER, providing the use of referendums:
- subject to influence of external groups (Cambridge analytica - eu referendum 2016)
- democratic overload
- holds the views of the day
Does anyone have suggestions for time management as the time given is generally too short..
Reply 8
@ioWolfdinii did you manage to finish on time? Literally finished on the second.

Not sure how well I answered the 25 marker for topic 1?? I made a point for how class was a more prevalent in the past, but then made a rebuttal about how it was still important. I did the same with 2 points about gender and then finished with a point on ethnicity. Does that sound about right? I've basically answered it how I'd answer a 'discuss question'...
I did finish, but didn't really have enough time to go into depth and compare properly for them A grades :frown:
Reply 10
Are you applying for Uni @ioWolfdinii? What grades do you need?
Yeah I am, need AAB/ABB
Reply 12
Can anyone confirm what the 10 mark question was on electoral systems topic 2? Was it to the effect that FPTP are more representative than party lists??
Original post by calderar
Hey,

Does anyone have any predictions for questions on Topic 1 (Participation and Voting Behaviour) and for Topic 2 (Electoral Systems)?

Would anyone be kind enough to share their notes with me? Im also doing AQA AS Politics

Quick Reply

Latest