The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aleatorio
I emailed them;
"Many thanks for your email it’s good to hear from you and don’t worry, you haven’t missed anything.
We will be writing to you by email later this month with an offer of single accommodation at or near Leckhampton, our postgraduate site. There is nothing you need to do yet to apply for accommodation. Once you’ve received the letter you just need to let us know your general preferences (i.e. rent range, ensuite/non-ensuite/a particular building). We will then write to you again in late August to let you know which room you have been allocated and to inform you of our induction events.
If you have any further questions please feel free to email or call me."

Thanks! I'm glad they do it this way, it's a lot fairer to folk who apply/receive offers later.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Anybody else accepted at Girton and bummed by the graduate accommodation at Swirles Court? It's all so stark and modern, no greenery or gardens, or pretty architecture. This is not what I imagined living at Cambridge would look like. I "roamed" around teh place on Google Maps and it is bleak as hell. I know it's silly, but I'm incredibly disappointed :/
Original post by Herdarkmaterials
Anybody else accepted at Girton and bummed by the graduate accommodation at Swirles Court? It's all so stark and modern, no greenery or gardens, or pretty architecture. This is not what I imagined living at Cambridge would look like. I "roamed" around teh place on Google Maps and it is bleak as hell. I know it's silly, but I'm incredibly disappointed :/

ah yes, I had the same disappointing realization. I honestly think it will end up being quite nice because the rooms will be new, as opposed to more aesthetically pleasing but falling apart living situations. I was hoping we'd be housed at Wolfson court but it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Swirles is also quite out of the way so.... solidarity.
Hi everyone :smile:
Does anyone know approximately when the 2018 Michaelmas term ends?
The website says it ends on 30 November 2018, but I'd like to know approximately when all the exams are over, not when the classes are finished.

If estimation is difficult to be made, any past dates would also be very helpful. :biggrin:
Original post by lovescenario
Hi everyone :smile:
Does anyone know approximately when the 2018 Michaelmas term ends?
The website says it ends on 30 November 2018, but I'd like to know approximately when all the exams are over, not when the classes are finished.

If estimation is difficult to be made, any past dates would also be very helpful. :biggrin:

What exams are you referring to? Are you doing an MPhil with taught courses? And does it have exams in December (I thought December exams were relatively uncommon in Cambridge) :smile:

(If doing a PhD, the date of end of lectures would not be very relevant!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lonely grad
Any PhD in Politics and International Studies students here? Heard anything about funding? This wait from the trust is killing :banghead:

I’m a PhD in Politics and International Studies applicant, too. Likewise, I’m still waiting to hear back from the Trust, but in the meantime, I’ve secured full funding for the PhD, so the waiting process is not that tense now as it was the case before.
Original post by simsana
I’m a PhD in Politics and International Studies applicant, too. Likewise, I’m still waiting to hear back from the Trust, but in the meantime, I’ve secured full funding for the PhD, so the waiting process is not that tense now as it was the case before.

Hi, would you mind letting me know how you secured full funding (if the way you did so was through a scholarship). Feel free to PM me :smile:
Hi, would you mind letting me know how you secured full funding (if the way you did so was through a scholarship). Feel free to PM me :smile:

Hi, sure. I’ve been granted state scholarship from my home country for 3 years.
Hi all! :smile: Anyone else got an offer for the CDT in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics? I've got an offer for the MRes at Cambridge (Caius) and the DPhil at Oxford (St. Peter's). Still haven't heard about funding yet though so slightly concerned...
Reply 429
does anyone know how long it takes to get a place at a college after getting an offer?
Original post by ummj
does anyone know how long it takes to get a place at a college after getting an offer?

It can take a while. I got the email from someone in department 'unofficially' offering me a place at the end of February, the formal offer on the 22nd of March and then the college offer (for my second choice) on the 17th of April.
Original post by simsana
Hi, sure. I’ve been granted state scholarship from my home country for 3 years.

Oh fantastic! Many congratulations to you!
Oh fantastic! Many congratulations to you!

Thank you so much:smile: Hope to hear your good news on funding, too!
Reply 433
Hello All,Degree: Mphil in Education Leadership and School ImprovementApplied: November 1 2017Decision: January 10 2018College: Hughes HallWaiting for decision on Funding. Can anyone here tell me if I will still be considered for funding by the Cambridge Trust, if I did not mention Cambridge Trust but wrote Cambridge Funding body instead? Also, I said Yes to the field on funding required.
Reply 434
Received this email by the Cambridge Trust, can anyone please tell me how I should interpret it?

Thank you for your email. You are on our list of students, but having checked you are not currently on any lists for consideration for specific scholarships. We have not finished making our shortlists, yet, so that may change in future but I cannot provide any guarantees or further information at this stage.
Well, it has been a long journey but I am just awaiting the final “Confirmed” stage on my offer. It’s been a nerve wracking 4 months as I finished my undergrad and came up just shy of the GPA requirement; thankfully everything went through.

Looking forward to joining fellow Hughesians or anyone studying the MPhil Innovation Strategy and Organization at JBS!! If only some funding came through now 😂
Does anyone else have getting ATAS approval as a condition, and has anyone applied for it yet? When I check on the UK Gov website on my application it says that the estimated decision date is May 16 (20 business days after I submitted it) but it still says that mine app is submitted. No result is listed.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I know they said t may take longer than 20 business days at peak season but 30 days and counting seems a bit long...
Hey everyone
I’ve lurked on this thread a while. I got accepted on to the master’s course for English (Renaissance) in February and got allocated my first choice of college (Corpus Christi) and have just heard from them today.
The email contained quite a lot of info but they’ve basically asked if I intend to take up my place as the funding section of my application is still incomplete. Obviously I was hanging on in there hoping for university/college funding but to me this would suggest that the college at least is not planning to offer any. Sadly I’m now looking at potentially having to give up my place as I simply won’t be able to afford it, even with the full amount of loan from student finance.

Hope others have had better news!
Original post by jrcanada
Well, it has been a long journey but I am just awaiting the final “Confirmed” stage on my offer. It’s been a nerve wracking 4 months as I finished my undergrad and came up just shy of the GPA requirement; thankfully everything went through.

Looking forward to joining fellow Hughesians or anyone studying the MPhil Innovation Strategy and Organization at JBS!! If only some funding came through now 😂

I’ve been waiting at this stage, too! Do you know how long it normally takes for the Board of Graduate Studies to confirm admission into the University right after all the conditions are met?
Original post by simsana
I’ve been waiting at this stage, too! Do you know how long it normally takes for the Board of Graduate Studies to confirm admission into the University right after all the conditions are met?

It says on Self-Serve that it takes up to 5 days “once the conditions disappear from the page”. Today is either day 0 or day 1, I’ll let you know when it happens! (Being in Canada, everything changes during the middle of the night leaving surprises every morning haha)

Quick Reply

Latest