The Student Room Group

White girl wearing cornrows at school

Hey so basically there’s this girl at school who has been wearing cornrows for like 4 days in a row. She’s white so its making me feel rly uncomfortable- I want to call her out but i dont know her at all. My school haven’t said anything but they won’t coz my schools basically white (I’m mixed asian-white). Am i overeacting/should I just leave it?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why would you call her out? It's just a haircut.
What happened to 'my body, my rules'?
I suggest you mind your own business.
Why is it making you uncomfortable?
You're overreacting. People can have their hair however they want

Edit: I hate how these American influenced problems are starting to encourage people here in the U.K. Like come on, do you guys really want to be following the people who got Trump into the White House.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Cornrows don't belong to any culture. Many ancient cultures from very different parts of the world featured them. So yeah you are overreacting and probably should leave her alone.
... and so what?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Why would you call her out? It's a ****ing haircut for ****'s sake.
What happened to 'my body, my rules'?
Mind your own business.

Coz its appropriation
Why the hell are you answering if ur gonna insult me- let me guess stalking forums just so u can get a petty jab in
Original post by blueamaraxx
Coz its appropriation
Why the hell are you answering if ur gonna insult me- let me guess stalking forums just so u can get a petty jab in

Literally none of this is true.
Wow, a white person is wearing what is typically a black persons hair cut, I should call them out for being racist. Just think about it.
That is not cultural appropriation.
Coz its appropriation

Cultural appropriation is the most stupid, hippy **** ever. No culture owns anything. People can wear whatever they want. This whole thing became popular from the Kardashians having cornrows and black women thinking it inappropriate....the same black women who choose to not keep their real hair and wear a weave instead to have their hair look like other ethnicities.
A girl with a hair style is not the enemy.

What exaclty do all you cultural appropriation lot want? it is tantamount to be against sharing ideas. Like each culture has intelectual property over it's own culture and enyone on the outside can get ****ed. Culture is stealing stuff.
Why is she wearing cornrows. That's not alright.
Original post by Cxm
Cultural appropriation is the most stupid, hippy **** ever. No culture owns anything. People can wear whatever they want. This whole thing became popular from the Kardashians having cornrows and black women thinking it inappropriate....the same black women who choose to not keep their real hair and wear a weave instead to have their hair look like other ethnicities.

Black people have to wear weaves.
Otherwise they'd be discriminated against and even if they wear weaves, they're still discriminated against for having "nappy hair".
It's the result of white supremacy.
Original post by Cloporte
Cornrows don't belong to any culture. Many ancient cultures from very different parts of the world featured them. So yeah you are overreacting and probably should leave her alone.

Source?

The only ancient culture I can think of is the Mesopotamians and Kushites (poc)
Coz its appropriation

You're way too offended. ****ing grow up. This culture appropriation ******** just pisses me off. It's actually the most stupid debate to come up. Don't straighten your hair, if you can't stand people wanting to have a certain haircut. Are buzz-cuts off bounds also? Nobody owns style.
A white person should never wear cornrows, braids or dreadlocks. That's just self-destructive.
Please, as a friend, tell her to take it out within this week! It's not supposed to be worn by people of her hair type and she could permanently damage her hair!

Are the cornrows to the scalp or what? I'm scared for her...
She’s white so its making me feel rly uncomfortable

That'd be racism then.
Original post by oseangarciaax
Black people have to wear weaves.
Otherwise they'd be discriminated against and even if they wear weaves, they're still discriminated against for having "nappy hair".
It's the result of white supremacy.

Oh don't pity yourself. If black women kept their hair and it was a common thing. By now, no one would have a problem with it and don't act like it's all white people's fault. It's their own fault for not having the confidence to pull off their natural hair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending